Carnival Cruiser Sails Royal Caribbean ~ Navigator to Italy, France, Spain ~ 10/28/12

gapearl

The last day of a cruise is always bittersweet. :( You have to start packing, but also want to make it a good last day.

I woke up late, probably close to 11 am, took a shower, and started packing. Jackie was still knocked out. I mean OUT! After I got the majority of my stuff put away, I headed to the Windjammer for lunch. The weather was nice and the pools were open. People were swimming and sunbathing. Yes, it was nice out, but still cool, too cool to be out in a bathing suit trying to tan. I heard an announcement for the last chance to sign up for the belly flop contest. There was a BBQ out by the pool and it was really good. Matt from the roll call joined me for lunch. We saw each other throughout the week. He’s a really nice guy!

Part of the BBQ. There was also a salad station (I think) and a dessert station.

IMG_18971copy.jpg

When I eventually got back to the room, Jackie was up and packing. She headed to grab some food, and we met at Studio B for the 3 pm ice skating show. Tickets were given out on day 1 of the cruise from 5:15-6:30 pm. If you don’t have a ticket, you’ll have to wait in line until just a few minutes before the show, and they’ll let you know if there are any seats left after all the ticket holders have been seated. You’re not allowed to video the show because of copyright laws, but you can take pictures as long as the flash is off.

IMG_3599copy.jpg

Ice Dancin' was a really good show. I do remember about 3 falls though. Maybe it was just a bad day. But hey, I can't get out there and do what they did. Definitely go and enjoy if you're sailing soon.

IMG_3135copy.jpg

IMG_3142copy.jpg

This was a special guest to the show. I think he was from Russia. He was awesome!

IMG_3159copy.jpg

IMG_3161copy.jpg

IMG_3170copy.jpg

IMG_3176copy.jpg

We didn't eat at Portofino, but I heard it was really good.

IMG_3200copy.jpg

IMG_3199copy.jpg

Not much more to report from the afternoon. More packing, checking in with guest services to review our accounts, getting gratuity envelopes ready, browsing the shops one last time, etc. We were going to try the rock climbing wall but never made it. I headed to the dry sauna for a little while, followed by a quick nap before dinner. We were back at our regular table with Elias tonight.

IMG_3201copy.jpg

IMG_3202copy.jpg

IMG_3203copy.jpg

IMG_3208copy.jpg

Chilled raspberry and pineapple soup. It was good, but would have been better without the soggy fruit floating inside.

IMG_3204copy.jpg

I ordered the roasted turkey and the tomato, basil, and mozzarella calzone.

Just ok. Nothing special.

IMG_3205copy.jpg

The calzone was pretty good. I wish it came with a side of tomato sauce, rather than more tomatoes.

IMG_3206copy.jpg

I was too stuffed to order a big dessert, so I just had a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Our awesome assistant waiter and waiter.

IMG_3213copy.jpg

I don’t know where Jackie went, but I headed down to Bolero’s for my last night of enjoying Latin Express. I met up with some of my new friends from California and New York there. Jackie turned up later. They played Danza Kuduro, and we were all first to the hit dance floor. At the end of the song, Luis, the lead singer, said “Wait right there! Don’t go anywhere!” And they went right into Ai Se Eu Te Pego. He did the same thing after that, wouldn’t let us leave the dance floor, and played Che Che Re Re Che. Those last two songs are popular songs, but actually are Portuguese, not Spanish. That shows you the talent of the band. I was “glistening” after only three songs!

If you're not familiar with these songs, here they are.

Tip: Learn the dance that goes with the next song. It's all over You Tube. I got to teach everyone else. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjYWzhoS5eY

Packed dance floor every night at Bolero's.

IMG_3251copy.jpg

Part of my cruise crew. Love these guys!

IMG_3252copy.jpg

Uh-oh! :D

IMG_3253copy.jpg

We ended our last night in The Dungeon once again. As I did every night when I first came in, I went to the DJ booth and said hi to DJ Drag@n. When I did tonight, he gave a me a mixed cd of music he put together. That was so nice of him! I’ve been to one, six, heck I lost count, clubs in Las Vegas, and Drag@n can rival any of their DJ's easily. Watching him as he mixes, you can see he’s loving what he’s doing and having fun. Tonight he mixed some song with The Cupid Shuffle. As I looked up at him, he signaled me to get it started, and later gave me a big smile to say You Go Girl! He really made our nights in The Dungeon a lot of fun.

IMG_19311copy.jpg

The Bahrain guys (and Kyle from Ohio back there) again. Love them too!

IMG_3286copy.jpg

IMG_3282copy.jpg

Up next: Debarkation :( and Barcelona :D!

Edited by gapearl

Guess who is Cruise Critic's newest member?

Ladies and gentlemen, here's JACKIE!!! :D

This review might be getting even more interesting now that she's here to comment. :p

Thank you for the introduction. As soon as I get the hang of this, I "might" have something to say. Lol

No, don't do that! LOL

We had so much fun. Jackie was the best travel buddy. You're going to love my dress from the second formal night. :)

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for more!

I wish I could say the same for Kim, but she's a little moody and if you don't feed her at the right times she gets out of control. None of you want to travel with her!

Obviously I'm just kidding. I just don't want to share :)

Thank you!

Kim, thank you so much for taking all the time to write this review and add all those pictures. I know it's quite an effort but I assure you, it is totally enjoyed and appreciated! DH and I are on the Navigator in January and you've got my beegeebers all revved up!

I noticed that most of the time you're selecting vegetarian dinners. Thanks for posting the pictures of these meals as that is most likely what we'll be eating. I'd love to say that we will be sticking to our nutratarian diet (mostly vegan, whole plant food based diet) but I'm sure the temptations will get us. Sure wish there were more selections for people who choose not to eat animal products though.

Did you by any chances visit the sauna or steam rooms in the spa area? I was just wondering what those were like as we like to give ourselves our own personal spa time each day. I'm a swimmer so I like to get my workout in and then relax with a steam.

Thanks again for your excellent review. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

Trish

I visited the steam room twice. It was great. Not a lot of people in there either.

Kim,

This review is awesome. The amount of time and energy you put into writing this and posting all these pictures for others to enjoy is a true reflection of what a charming person you are. I enjoyed meeting you and had a great time in the Dungeon with you, Jackie and the rest of the party crowd. Please email me at potomacboater2004 at yahoo dot com. I have lots of great pictures to email to you and Jackie. Thanks again and I hope our paths cross on another cruise again in the future!

Kimberly, I absolutely love this thread! I will be cruising on the Navigator in a few weeks, 12/15 out of NOLA with my husband. We cruised Carnival once for our honeymoon a year and a half ago- enjoyed it, and decided to give RCCL a try.This is our first time on RCCL and this post has me so hyped! The only thing I am a little nervous about is our cabin is on deck 3 close to the Dungeon due to an oceanview guarantee purchase. Do you happen to recall if that deck was noisy around the rooms? The daily ship guides, menus, food pictures, party pictures, etc are much appreciated. This post has encouraged me to book the Mediterranean or Transatlantic cruise I've been contemplating. Your positive energy throughout the post is great! :)

Drum roll please ................................ The big question still remains :confused: How did the Carnival fan like RCCL?? :rolleyes: Will you sail on Royal again?? And finally, once again, thank you for an amazing review!:D

flying into fco- no customs forms needed.

Buy your roma pass at the airport at the information booth. Includes a 3 day metro pass, free entry into the first 2 museums, discounts on other museums, and front of the line access at many places. You can also buy the pass at the termini station and about 5 other spots around rome, but just grab it at the airport if you can.

www.romapass.it

train from fco into rome is 7-8 euros, about 1 hour, and not included as a roma pass ride.

Do a little research and consider renting an apartment in a residential neighborhood, not a hotel.

www.tripadvisor.com or www.flipkey.com

don't rent a car. Trying to park will stress you out.

Colosseum- 4 euros extra for a guided tour. Admission included in roma pass.

Vatican city- buy your tickets online in advance to avoid long lines.

www.vatican.va

dress appropriately. No sleeveless shirts, bare shoulders, nothing above the knee.

Remember the secret door just after exiting the sistine chapel for easy access to st. Peter's basilica.

5 euros to climb all 500+ stairs to the top. 7 euros to climb 300+ stairs and an elevator.

Castel sant'angelo- good for a few pictures, but you won't be missing anything if you don't go.

Capuchin crypts- must see! 6 euros. No pictures allowed.

Spanish steps, trevi fountain, and the pantheon- all walking distance from each other and free to see.

Roman forums and palentine hill- use your roma pass. Might not be able to get in if it's raining.

Catacombs- go see any of them. No pictures allowed.

www.catacombe.roma.it

trastevere area- great bars, restaurants, lots of nightlife.

Whew! I would say our 4 days in rome were very successful. The only thing on our list that we didn't get to see were the baths of carcalla. I guess we have to plan another trip back to rome at some point.

Coming tomorrow- we board the navigator!

your pictures of rome brought back some great memories for me of ths wonderful city.

I wish I could say the same for Kim, but she's a little moody and if you don't feed her at the right times she gets out of control. None of you want to travel with her!

Obviously I'm just kidding. I just don't want to share :)

Oh stop! Y'all Jackie and I were awesome travel buddies. We got along great. Time for us to start planning the next trip! :D

Kim,

This review is awesome. The amount of time and energy you put into writing this and posting all these pictures for others to enjoy is a true reflection of what a charming person you are. I enjoyed meeting you and had a great time in the Dungeon with you, Jackie and the rest of the party crowd. Please email me at potomacboater2004 at yahoo dot com. I have lots of great pictures to email to you and Jackie. Thanks again and I hope our paths cross on another cruise again in the future!

Hey Matt! Gosh, you're taking another cruise tomorrow! Have fun!!! It was nice meeting you too! I'll definitely be emailing you soon. Glad you enjoyed the review! :D

Kimberly, I absolutely love this thread! I will be cruising on the Navigator in a few weeks, 12/15 out of NOLA with my husband. We cruised Carnival once for our honeymoon a year and a half ago- enjoyed it, and decided to give RCCL a try.This is our first time on RCCL and this post has me so hyped! The only thing I am a little nervous about is our cabin is on deck 3 close to the Dungeon due to an oceanview guarantee purchase. Do you happen to recall if that deck was noisy around the rooms? The daily ship guides, menus, food pictures, party pictures, etc are much appreciated. This post has encouraged me to book the Mediterranean or Transatlantic cruise I've been contemplating. Your positive energy throughout the post is great! :)

Hi Sassy! Thanks for reading! We enjoyed the Navigator and crew so much we talked about looking at one of her upcoming itineraries from New Orleans. I don't think you'll have to worry about too much noise. When I left to go to the ladies room, I wasn't able to hear music when I got to the door, and the cabins are further down from there. Have fun on your cruise!!! :D

Drum roll please ................................ The big question still remains :confused: How did the Carnival fan like RCCL?? :rolleyes: Will you sail on Royal again?? And finally, once again, thank you for an amazing review!:D

I, too, was awaiting the comparison.

Make that 3!

but yes regardless it has been an amazing trip report. I love long detailed reports especially when i am stuck in front of the pc bored at work!

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading!

Sorry I haven't been back the last few days. Being off for 3 weeks means I've been working nonstop since I've been back. :rolleyes: I still have more pictures to upload from Barcelona and need to write up my comparisons. And with Thanksgiving coming up, well, I hope to be done by Monday.

But to answer the burning question, YES I LOVED Royal Caribbean! And YES I will sail Royal Caribbean again! I'm thisclose to pulling the trigger on one of the South America itineraries! :p