Fencing sessions on Cunard

pcwoodwardflier

Hi - can anyone tell me how instructive and how well attended the fencing is on cunard - my garden fence is in need of repair.... seriously - I know thie is not that sort of fencing - but on my forthcoming cruise I am interested in participating and reliving boarding school days; fencing was an option I took one year and loved it! thanks!

Hi - can anyone tell me how instructive and how well attended the fencing is on cunard - my garden fence is in need of repair.... seriously - I know thie is not that sort of fencing - but on my forthcoming cruise I am interested in participating and reliving boarding school days; fencing was an option I took one year and loved it! thanks!

Based on totally unscientific observation on board QV on the Black Sea Cruise in Sep/Oct, the sessions didn't appear to be well attended at all. Most times when I passed and the lessons were in progress, the students appeared to be outnumbered by the instructors. But, having said that, the average age on that cruise was probably the highest I've seen - there were very few people under 70. On our previous cruises on QV the classes did seem to have slightly greater attendance. As to how instructive the classes are likely to be, I'm afraid I'm unable to comment. But if the numbers attending are as low as they were on our last cruise, I would guess that you would get plenty of personal tuition.

J

I attended two initial sessions on two different QV cruises. I think these are available only on QV, probably because of the need for equipment -- masks, jackets, gloves, and foils. Each of the two had about 20 attendees, so can form 10 sets of 2 each. I thought the sessions were well instructed but by only one instructor, the main sports/recreation director, with appropriate attention to safety, mainly do not pick up the foil unless every person had on a mask.

Simple, basic initial instruction of en garde, defend, attack etc and then we paired against different opponents. I thought I was in reasonable physical shape, but after about 30 minutes of actual fencing against an opponent, I was absolutely exhausted. One of the hardest things I have experienced physically.

A second session was scheduled but nobody either than I showed up, so cancelled.

Archived