Balcony door locks

cruisinmaymay

Which cruise line? My only experience is with Carnival - there is a deadbolt at the very top. At 4, he is old enough to understand simple rules, and one of the most important ones IMHO should be: no going out on the balcony unless an adult is ALREADY out there...no you think someone is right behind you. We kept the door locked at all times we weren't actually out there, and it wasn't as worrisome as I'd thought it would be. HTH.

We will be on the Sapphire in a mini-suite and across the hall, our daughter will be in an inside cabin with our 3 year old, twin grand children. With having a balcony and nervous, I plan on taking a small screw type lock that fits on the slots that the door slides on, either on the top or bottom part. Will this work, or do I need to think of something else to bring?

I plan on taking a small screw type lock that fits on the slots that the door slides on, either on the top or bottom part.

On carnival the balcony doors open on hinges, they dont slide. You may want to check with Princess to see if the doors slide or open outward.

-Rob

balcony doors are VERY heavy to say the least. Just watch those little fingers when the balcony door is open and someone opens the cabin door. Itss a wind tunnel effect and doors WILL go slamming.

I doubt very much if your nephew will be able to open the door--even if it was unlocked.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the RCI's Vision of the Seas in May. Our balcony had the lock at the very top of the sliding glass door.

The door may be heavy, but our 3 year old daughter could open and close the door on her own. Of course that was only when it wasn't locked.

On RCCL Explorer (I assume they are the same for the most part on all Voyager class) it had a heavish and largish handle 2/3rds way up the door from floor that you had to basicall turn counterclockwise 180 degrees. A four year old would have a hard time. We travelled with a 5 year old and a two year old and while the five year old could reach he didn't have the strength/leverage to open the door.

Archived