Wine package -- purchase ahead of time?

joanna111

We will be buying one of the wine packages and I seem to remember on another (HAL) cruise that when you go onboard they offer you a package with an extra bottle. Any reason to wait and by the RCI package after we board? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Same deal on RCI whether you buy before or on board. If you buy it now, you pay for it now. If you buy it onboard, it goes on your on board bill. We usually buy before but if you have lots of obc, you might want to wait.

Don't forget you can carry on two bottles per stateroom now!

I seldom pay now when I can later if its not going to cost me anything to wait.

Also, if there are particular wines on the list that you want, wait until you're onboard and make sure they have it. On our recent Brilliance cruise, they were out of one of the four additional Diamond package wines the day we boarded, and ran out of two others long before the cruise ended, so springing for the premium package was a waste (we bought onboard but didn't confirm availability; lesson learned).

I almost always have OBC that pays for all or most of the wine package, so we wait.

I have found that if they are out of a wine we like on our chosen package, they will often substitute another wine, usually from the higher package, if you ask nicely.

After all you did purchase a package that contained specific wines you like and it's not your fault that they ran out of that wine without warning you before you purchased the package. :)

I almost always have OBC that pays for all or most of the wine package, so we wait.

I have found that if they are out of a wine we like on our chosen package, they will often substitute another wine, usually from the higher package, if you ask nicely.

After all you did purchase a package that contained specific wines you like and it's not your fault that they ran out of that wine without warning you before you purchased the package. :)

But if you've already ordered the top package, there isn't any place for them to go but the main wine list, and they are loathe to do that if there are other package wines available at a lower level. The cellarmaster did offer us a comparable type wine, which was about $10 less than the one we wanted. We actually preferred it (Cono Sur Pinot Noir vs. the Spy Valley Pinot Noir in the package), so we're not going to waste our money on the Diamond package again. Probably won't bother with a package at all...

And, sadly, if you bellow and carry on, they are likely to do what you want just to shut you up.:p

On some cruises to wine growing areas, there may be special packages available onboard that are not available online. Example - Australia cruises have a special wine package of Australia and New Zealand wines that is only available once you're onboard.

There's really no advantage to buying pre-cruise unless there is a special price offered. Celebrity sometimes has specials on their drink packages, twice a year I think, though I can't recall RCI ever doing it.

On some cruises to wine growing areas, there may be special packages available onboard that are not available online. Example - Australia cruises have a special wine package of Australia and New Zealand wines that is only available once you're onboard.

There's really no advantage to buying pre-cruise unless there is a special price offered. Celebrity sometimes has specials on their drink packages, twice a year I think, though I can't recall RCI ever doing it.

Oh, good point! We had purchased a package prior to our Rhapsody cruise, and couldn't transfer it over to the Au/NZ package without permission from Miami because of the way they do their bookkeeping, and we didn't want to bother the staff (although they were more than willing to try). Fortunately it was a small package, so we were able to take advantage of the special offerings as well.:D

But if you've already ordered the top package, there isn't any place for them to go but the main wine list, and they are loathe to do that if there are other package wines available at a lower level. The cellarmaster did offer us a comparable type wine, which was about $10 less than the one we wanted. We actually preferred it (Cono Sur Pinot Noir vs. the Spy Valley Pinot Noir in the package), so we're not going to waste our money on the Diamond package again. Probably won't bother with a package at all...

And, sadly, if you bellow and carry on, they are likely to do what you want just to shut you up.:p

Who said anything about "bellowing and carrying on". Certainly not I who said "if you ask nicely". (see my post, please)

We generally purchase the middle package as it contains the wines we like. We have been offered higher priced wines from the regular wine list when one of our favorites has been unavailable. We just asked NICELY if there was something else comparable we could substitute and they were more than happy to oblige us.

Maybe people who "bellow and carry on" aren't treated as well.

Who said anything about "bellowing and carrying on". Certainly not I who said "if you ask nicely". (see my post, please)

We generally purchase the middle package as it contains the wines we like. We have been offered higher priced wines from the regular wine list when one of our favorites has been unavailable. We just asked NICELY if there was something else comparable we could substitute and they were more than happy to oblige us.

Maybe people who "bellow and carry on" aren't treated as well.

I know you did. But I've observed people behaving badly who also got what they were asking for. I don't condone it (which is why I said "sadly"), and take your approach myself, was just observing. Peace.:)

Not Happy to hear there is an Aussie Wine package we have just pre-purchased the middle package and would have prefered something more aussie based. They should state that one is available to purchase on board on the website.

What was the cost etc of the Aussie package?

My wife and I bought the middle wine package (7 bottles) too. Then we broke the price down per bottle so we made sure we bought bottles we liked over the per bottle rate. You can obtain the RCI wine list prices by doing some research. I don't think it is on this forum so I cannot post the a link.

My wife and I bought the middle wine package (7 bottles) too. Then we broke the price down per bottle so we made sure we bought bottles we liked over the per bottle rate. You can obtain the RCI wine list prices by doing some research. I don't think it is on this forum so I cannot post the a link.

Here's a link to a wine package analysis thread that is very helpful to determine whether the package might be worth it to you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129043

Archived