New Carnival rate structure

The reporter

these new fare codes are extremely unfriendly to customers. i book cruises all day every day and i can tell you, early saver was bad enough- there are fees to change a name, fees to change a date, ship, etc. and if you make a change it isn't one fee everyone is charged a separate fee, deposits are nonrefundable and its just a way for carnival to lock you into taking your cruise with them- this tactic is similar to how they lock you on the ship and force you to spend your vacation time on the ship rather than giving more time at ports, etc.

i know many people gravitate toward carnival because its cheap- i hate to say it but i hope those customers get taught a lesson- you get what you pay for! especially when theytry to make changes, etc. and get hit with fees and don't get their deposits back!

My advice? skip carnival altogether, and get a real vacation

My question? Have you personally ever been on a Carnival cruise? I believe that a Carnival cruise is not imaginary and thus qualifies as a real vacation.

Why do people like to perpetuate this myth is beyond me. Unless you are someone who has access to everyone's bookings on a sailing and you can a actually see these so called "half off discounts for locals", I put ZERO credibility in your statement.

I'm a local and, BELIEVE ME, there are no super deals for locals to fill the ship up at the last minute. Yes, you will see man Puertoricans out of San Juan, but they are paying the same rates you are, and in many cases MORE (and don't forget that we have to pre-pay mandatory tips a the time of booking. Resident discounts are almost non-existent.

Just like a cruise from Texas attracts many Texans, and a cruise from New York attracts many people from the Northeast, a cruise from Puerto Rico attracts a lot of people from Puerto Rico.

I've been doing this for decades. Carnival and the other cruise lines sailing from San Juan do NOT need to discount to fill the ship up with locals. Cruising is one of the top ways to vacation down here and deep discounting is not necessary to attract local business.

This is true, there is no "local resident discount" and no cruise line offers a cruise at half price simply to fill a space, that is just clever marketing created by *************.com (which has rates exactly the same as all other agencies, they just list the very lowest one even if it's a bunk bed cabin next to the engine!) Truth be told, cruises from San Juan are affordable for Puerto Ricans because they do not have to include a flight anywhere, so would be the most logical choice, just as American cruisers like to leave out of Florida so they do not have to fly to San Juan, even though the San Juan cruise is less or equal to one leaving out of Florida.

Not only that, but people who tell you nonsense like they paid 1/5th of your price on a cruise... I mean, come on, use your brains- just because someone brags about the low price they got doesnt mean its true. Some people just like to exaggerate- this myth of some people paying nearly half or less on cruises than others is just a myth-although different types of cabins and locations on ships CAN have vast price differences. The only rates that some people ar eeligible for that others are not that are extremely low is interline

My question? Have you personally ever been on a Carnival cruise? I believe that a Carnival cruise is not imaginary and thus qualifies as a real vacation.

I have, it was okay, but would not do again, nor do I recommend. It was stressful and crowded, food was not impressive at all, onboard entertainment was so cheesy and stupid, and only afterward did I realize that low price with Carnivla meant a whole extra day at sea whereas other itins doing something similar had another stop- I could have spent a little more, got a better cruise line, had more time at ports and less time stuck onboard the ship with a bunch of sweaty animals at a filthy little pool or crowded into one of the disgusting cafeteria-like food areas. But hey, if carnival is for you, then to each his own.

Archived