How Much Are Port Charges in AK?

M.Gardener

I'm on the same itinerary on the Diamond in July. My port charges/fees were just short of $357, so yours sounds about right. Keep in mind that I'm in a single cabin, however, so I'm paying the ever popular single surcharge on the cabin AND the port taxes :mad:

As far as how they are determined, I must confess I have no clue!

Happy Cruising!

Port charges are generally higher in Alaska as compared to other itineraries; I believe just the port charges for those three stops runs about $200. It does sound as if your numbers include the cruise taxes, as well. You can run a check on the breakdown of the numbers by calling your TA, or going to one of the major online sites and check out pricing on your cruise.

Keep in mind the Port charges in Alaska are higher than in the Caribbean, if that's what you might be referring to. The main reason is because the US dollar does not go very far in the USA, unlike in the Caribbean where the US dollar is gold and the people working in the ports are not well paid.

It sure seems high to me! I just booked a last minute, inside cabin to Alaska on the Island Princess and the cruise was only $399 including port charges. That would mean my cruise only cost $99 for seven days! What a bargain!!

Blessed: Almost. But $399-$200=$199, not $99. But still a terrific bargain. Taxes are only about an additional $35. Gardener, the fare I saw was based on double occupancy. FYI, asking for TA's to email you is technically against the rules, SIGH....

We paid $200 in port fees. We just got off the ship today and had a $3/pp fee added mid-week. Either government tax or port charges went up. Still had a wonderful time.

Hi Mich,

How were people dressed on the ship? I'm wondering if it's pretty casual, especially with the weather up there this time of year.

Mary

Hi Mich,

How were people dressed on the ship? I'm wondering if it's pretty casual, especially with the weather up there this time of year.

Mary

Quite a mix. On formal nights, some dressed to the nines. A good percentage were dressy, but not formal (men in sport coats and ties, but not tuxes or dark suites). Not many shorts in the dining rooms on this cruise, but we did see many jeans for breakfast and lunch. A few for dinner. Most everyone was smart enough to dress in layers for the ports and while on deck.

Archived