Question on Excursions and toddlers

jherrin3

Hello All!

This is my first post A.B. (After Baby), and I am needing the advice of some experienced cruising parents!

We're booking a cruise on the Enchantment for next year when our little girl will be 22 months old, and I am dying to take the Tulum tour in Cozmel (we tried to take that one B.B. on the Voyager, but a guest onboard had a heart attack and we missed the port).

Am I crazy to take a 22 mo old on a full day excursion?

We will have my parents with us on the cruise, but I'm curious if anyone has had a positive (or not) experience with a todder on excursions.

Thanks!

Choirguy

I cruised with my then 20-month-old son last November and had some great excusions, including some all-day ones. The one that didn't go as well was the one where we took an island tour for about 4-5 hours and we were in a kind of crowded van for most of that time. He got way too restless. The ones that were great were where we chartered sailboats/catamarans for the day. There weren't too many people, just us and my parents and the crew on one excursion and on another there were a total of 12 guests plus crew. There was lots of in-water time and also covered deck space for the baby to nap when tired. Fortunately, my baby was used to falling asleep in my arms so I didn't have a problem getting him to sleep (though his nap was short, it was OK). At one point he was getting cranky while we were trying to snorkle, so I ended up snorkling while holding him, and he fell asleep - I wish I had a picture of that, LOL! If you do one of these, bring a lifevest that fits your daughter, not all of these boats keep a baby vest on board. We also had a great beach day excursion, though I think he napped on the way to the beach and then was in a great mood while we were there - I think it was an afternoon one, not an all-day one, though. Anyway, it is important to keep expectations low - sometimes I didn't get to participate in something because, hey, someone had to watch the baby, but it was all worth it in the long run. And I had fun most of the time.

You'll be glad to have grandparents along, as I did. It was nice to be able to take turns taking my son out of the dining room if he got fussy, which was at least once during each meal, and also to go out a couple of evenings with my hubby. Also, my son loved to run around the pool, which required some chasing on my part, and my dad helped out with that, too.

Have fun!!!

Personally, I say no on the excursion. We did a cruise with a 10 month old and a 3 year old and they loved the beach and shopping where there was walking and boat rides, but the long bus rides are not great options. The baby will be fine. You will feel like it isn't a vacation! Is it possible for your parents to watch the baby at a beach while you do that excursion? My dh and I decided to spilt up one day so he could see the pyramids (I had done them pre-marirage) and I went with my parents shopping and then took a name. It was perfect. The excursion ended up being 8 hours! 3 on a bus!

We are going again this winter and are planning on doing an excursion on every port, but just beaches and boat rides. No site seeing. Just my honest opinion. The pyramids are worth seeing. Truly amazing.

22 months........I think you would do fine. its not exactly an Indiana Jones experience. Watch because some of the boat rides to Tulum go to playa del carmen first and THEN to the ruins via buss, which can get really tiresome for a little kid. There are all sorts of little kids, mine happened to be OK with all that stuff. The other thing to consider that most kids don't remember stuff they see when they were two, but then it may make them more flexible in future travel situations.

Am I crazy to take a 22 mo old on a full day excursion?

I don't think you're crazy to take a 22 month old on a full-day excursion, but I don't think THIS is the one for toddlers. Before you commit, look into the transportation time vs. ruins time. I really wanted to do this excursion too before I realized that it involves a lengthy ferry ride and a ridiculously long bus ride. You'll spend something like 2/3 of the day in transportation mode, not tourist mode.

I don't think you're crazy to take a 22 month old on a full-day excursion, but I don't think THIS is the one for toddlers. Before you commit, look into the transportation time vs. ruins time. I really wanted to do this excursion too before I realized that it involves a lengthy ferry ride and a ridiculously long bus ride. You'll spend something like 2/3 of the day in transportation mode, not tourist mode.

When DH and I took this excursion, we were packed so tightly on the ferry that I can't imagine having a toddler with us.......It wasn't all that comfortable for US! We're taking our own son (born a week ago yesterday) on his first cruise when he's 18 months old and, frankly, the excursion to Tulum wouldn't be one of our choices. It really is a lot of travel time. The bus ride would probably be okay--it's air-conditioned and everyone has their own seat--but the ferry would make me choose another excursion.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Yes, it does look like a really long excursion for her, so we may ask grandma and grandpa to watch her while we're in Cozmel, so we can still make the Tulum excursion.

Thanks for your help!

Now comes the hardest part, waiting until next year!!!

Choirguy

We just got back from our cruise a few weeks ago and did the Tulum ruins with our 26 month old daughter. She loved the boat ride over to the mainland and the bus ride really wasn't bad as we made a stop along the way. She did get a bit tired at the ruins as it was 105 degrees in humidity, but we just took some breaks from the tour and sat in the shade. Then we went down to the beautiful beach and waded in the water to cool off. On the bus ride back she was busy eating her sack lunch and she slept on the boat ride back to cozumel. After that she was ready to go shopping. So I think you would be fine to take your toddler with you, just remember to bring water and lots of sunscreen! (and wear your swimsuit under your clothes if you want to take a dip).:)

Archived