Just Back from QE2's May 21 Norwegian Wonders Cruise

seacruise9

Donaldo,

I have a recent QE2 winelist of 20+ pages I could email if you like & also the QE2 a la carte menu & a sample menu from my last QE2 October cruise in the QG Restaurant.

Blazerboy - glad to hear you had a good trip - I note you have dined previously in the Princess / Britannia Grills - woudl you say that the PG Restaurant is comparable re service & quality of food to the QG Restaurant - I ask as I am in the PG Restaurant next month on board for a 12 night cruise & have only dined in the QG Rest. / & Caronia on previous trips. I also note that the Maitre D' was Andrew - is the A. Nelder who is usuallyin the PG Restaurant as it is usually David Chambers as MD in the QG Rest & sometimes someone called Colin - who is very miserable! One other question was the bar tender in the QG Lounge Bar Brian (he sounds Liverpudlian) who again is not overly friendly towards guests?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

For RJMS74

We are looking forward to our first cruise on QE2 and would very much appreciate if you could email copy of wine list/bar drinks and menu to wwildash@aol.com. The information and feedback you and other "critics" provide has been most helpful to us first timers. Many thanks Willie

• 2 years later...

:)

Hey Chuck, great review, and good to meet you on board. Sorry we didn't see you the last evening.

I'll just add my thoughts to your review.

My input: we did enjoy the tea in the Queen's Room several days because of the music. For a nice quiet tea, the Queen's Grill Lounge is nice, but we wanted to hear the music, especially the harpist, in the Queen's room. But Chuck is right, it was very crowded, with people scouting out seats as early as 3:00 p.m. As well, Tea was served in the Lido and in the Pavillion, so you could, I suppose, "have tea on deck," but I didn't see anyone serving it out there.

We thought that the service was excellent. Our first time in Queen's Grill, so we were very impressed with both the service and the quality of the food- the worst meal was the tableside Duck a L'Orange, and it was only bad by comparison. I eat a lot of fish and was pleasantly surprised by the preparations- not overcooked, which is so easy, especially with previously frozen fish.

We actually didn't do many tours- we were disapointed about missing Flaam, but might go back next year for the cruise that goes to Iceland and Norway(we missed that port on our trip last Fall) At Gerainger, we took the Eagle's Bend short tour, which was really more about photo ops, but fun. This allowed us to do see the transit down the fjord from the decks of the QE2. As someone pointed out though, we could have done that on the way out before dinner. Our tablemates did the overland that included the trip to the glacier, and highly recomended it. In Bergen, we wondered around on our own, but seemed to hit many of the highlights- the funicular, the fortifications, the church, the restored old wooden buildings that house both shops and artists' studios, and the fish market. We also wandered around the University of Bergen. Lunch at the fishmarket was wonderful- I think the restaurant was Ned's- but quite pricey- $140. for the two of us- one appetizer, two entrees and two glasses of wine! Delicious though, and the memory our only real souvenir. Bergen is easy to do on your own. In Allesund, we did the same thing, but had lunch on board. Chuck's right, the ship was right in the center of town. We did hike up to the view point- 419 steps up, and 419 down, but worth it for the view. Helped take care of a few pounds we'd gained. There are benches along the way, so you don't have to hike up non-stop.

The ship itself was definitely a big part of the reason for the trip, and it really is like coming home again. A few people complained about the maintainance, but, while I could see a few spots here and there, I was impressed overall, and tried to remember that this IS a ship, afterall. The new stage for the shows in the Grand Lounge seems a lot nicer, and the shows themselves were more entertaining than before- I usually wonder by for about three minutes on my way to the Yacht Club, but found myself lingering longer this time. The Captain seemed in good spirits, so I, too, avoided the conversation about his secondment. He did make several jabs at the QM2, but all in good fun.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St James after the cruise, and thought it was great, and we booked on our own, directly on their website, not through Cunard. Probably helped that London was having great weather for the two days we were there, but the location seemed good for exploring- we even walked from the hotel for an evening out in SoHo. The Indian restaurant in the Hotel is very good, but try its sister restaurant, Bombay Brasserie, in Bailey's Hotel, just off the Glouchester Road in South Kensington- they have a prix fixe luncheon buffet which was quite nice, and not such a shock to the wallet.

Andrew

Hi. I am one of the persons you mentioned in your review. A former employee at Queens Grill. It was really nice to read your words. I was just remembering my time there and found this message. Hope you are still enjoying the cruises.

:)

Hi. I am one of the persons you mentioned in your review. A former employee at Queens Grill. It was really nice to read your words. I was just remembering my time there and found this message. Hope you are still enjoying the cruises.

Former Employee means you aren't onboard now and won't be with us at the end of the month? I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm so glad if my musings found their way to your eyes/ears! Still sailing, but, alas, only one more trip on QE2...will be very sad.

Hope you've found a new life after the QE2 and that things are going well for you. I was a bit past the age of shipping out when I decided I'd like to do it. Hope it was a great experience for you.

Andrew

Hi. Yes, I only worked for the QE2 some months. I trully enjoyed my experienced there. I saw places I never imagine (From Singapur to Island) and had lots of interesting experiences.

But I am in land now. In fact, I live in the USA. Another place I never thought I will be ever living in. Life is full of surprises..:)

Hope you all enjoy the cruises and other trips in life.

Archived