Cabo San Lucas excursion in January

lallarebecca

Hi!

I´m soon going on a Panama canal cruise and have just started to look at the offered excursions during the cruise.

In Cabo there are some options going snorkeling, which I´m very fond of doing, but I also would not like to miss the opportunity to do the whale watching, so I´m not quite sure on what to do yet, therefore, I´m asking for your advice. ;)

Is the snorkeling any good in Cabo (I´ve been doing lots of snorkeling in both the eastern and western caribbean as well as south east Asia and Egypt, so I might be comparing a bit...)??

Is the water to cold or is it still comfortable to stay on the beaches and do snorkeling in January in Cabo? I´ve read that air-temperatures varies from 12-23 degrees Celcius, which for me sounds a bit cold, no?

Finally, if I decide to go for the whale-watching and find that we still have 3-4 hours left when finished, are there options to go on shorter excursions in the afternoon and are there vendors for those when getting off the tender? Do you have anything to recommend?

Thanks in advance!

I would say that you should definitely do a whale watch tour. How often do you get that opportunity? I am in Cabo now and the water is cooling, so snorkeling might be a bit chilly. Based on the places you've listed, I think you may not be impressed with the snorkeling in Cabo.

When you get off the tenders, there are lots of vendors ready to sell you a tour. But if you choose a whale watch tour, you will have already seen the Arch and everything the water taxi's have to offer. There is plenty of shopping available and if you are not into that, take a water taxi to Medano Beach, the swimable beach in Cabo, and enjoy one of the many restaurants where you can sit in a chair with your toes in the sand. If you prefer mello, try Medano Beach Club, The Sand Bar or Tabasco. If you want to party like a rock star, The Office, Billigan's or Mango Deck.

I would say that you should definitely do a whale watch tour. How often do you get that opportunity? I am in Cabo now and the water is cooling, so snorkeling might be a bit chilly. Based on the places you've listed, I think you may not be impressed with the snorkeling in Cabo.

When you get off the tenders, there are lots of vendors ready to sell you a tour. But if you choose a whale watch tour, you will have already seen the Arch and everything the water taxi's have to offer. There is plenty of shopping available and if you are not into that, take a water taxi to Medano Beach, the swimable beach in Cabo, and enjoy one of the many restaurants where you can sit in a chair with your toes in the sand. If you prefer mello, try Medano Beach Club, The Sand Bar or Tabasco. If you want to party like a rock star, The Office, Billigan's or Mango Deck.

CW I hate to keep stepping on your posts, but if someone is going to take a water taxi from the cruise pier to Medano, why not spend an extra frew bucks and do a tour of Land's End, Lover's Beach, the Sea Lions, and

Divorce Beach, and then onto Medano. On the way back, I might even suggest taking a land cab (about $8us), thus seeing parts of Cabo that would otherwise be missed.

Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

CW I hate to keep stepping on your posts, but if someone is going to take a water taxi from the cruise pier to Medano, why not spend an extra frew bucks and do a tour of Land's End, Lover's Beach, the Sea Lions, and

Divorce Beach, and then onto Medano. On the way back, I might even suggest taking a land cab (about $8us), thus seeing parts of Cabo that would otherwise be missed.

Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

Downsized some day we need to meet in person and hash this out!:p

But if you go back and read the OP's post, the question was about snorkeling or whale watching and what to do after.

BTW we are having weather worse than Hurricane Paul at the moment!:eek:

Downsized some day we need to meet in person and hash this out!:p

But if you go back and read the OP's post, the question was about snorkeling or whale watching and what to do after.

BTW we are having weather worse than Hurricane Paul at the moment!:eek:

My response was to the last sentence....:rolleyes:

We've done snorkeling in Cabo from a Tanga, eco cruise, Cabo Escape, and from Tai Pan II (twice from Tai Pan II). The private sail on the Tai Pan II is by far the best, but also by far the most expensive. Second place has to be from Cabo Escape (love the view from the upper deck!)

You're right, though. We need to gather up and have a maggie, or two,...on me!

The only bad time in Cabo is when they drag me onto the plane when we leave!

I'm putting in a vote for you to do whale watching. I've done it a couple of times in Cabo. Both have been a great experience. You do get a chance to get really close to whales. Here in Southern California we never get the opportunity to get that close. I'm not really a fan of snorkeling in Cabo. Perhaps that is because I've done it in Hawaii and the Caribbean. No comparison. Do a whale watching tour.

After you have completed that tour, there are several options. You can choose to hang out at one of the restaurants along the boardwalk and eat lunch, have a nice drink, and look through the "shops." Or, you could do one of the glass bottom boat tours over to Lands End. We've usually gotten one of the tours for $8.00. It's a really nice and pretty ride and you do get to see some wild life. You could also decide to walk a few blocks in from the main boardwalk and explore the town of Cabo - lots of shops, restaurants, and bars. Very fun as well.

Whatever you decide to do in Cabo, have a great time.:)

We've never stopped in Cabo during a cruise but we did spend 9 days there in November, 2011. A few fun things we did....went on the 4-wheeler ride one afternoon. Really fun. All kinds of terrain, hills, beaches, etc. We also swam with the dolphins. It's right on the harbor area in Cabo. Have fun!

Our goal right now is to be there 03/15/13 thru 03/24/13.

Still negotiating on a Condo, though, so not positive.

We are planning to be hear from March 11-July 1. Email me at wmiller9999 at yahoo dot com and we'll work this out.

Our plans are not in cement at this point, but's looking pretty good.:)

Archived