Restaurants on the NCL Jewel

dspencer

Hi guys,

We've never cruised with NCL and are looking for a bit of advice.

I was a bit alarmed by a couple of comments regarding surcharges for Le Bistro restaurant and wanted to make sure that you can get decent food without paying extra.

The NCL Jewel is a new ship launched 10th August, so I know you won't know the exact restaurants but we just want to know what to expect. There are 10 restaurants apparently.

Any chance someone could list what is normal with NCL, and whether there are surcharges attached.

Also, how would you compare NCL with Royal Carribean (our other option for the Summer)?

All the best,

Dan

Hey, Dan,

The food in the "free" restaurants on NCL is fantastic and you'll have many choices. So many, in fact, that you'll likely not be able to decide and order two separate main dishes at dinner just to try them both (yes, you can order as many of a dish as you want for no extra charge). Below is a link the The NCL Dawn's Freestyle Dailies (daily newsletter to all passengers on the Dawn). I have printed them out for our cruise just to have an idea. This should also list the restaurants that have a cover charge (50% off the first night, BTW). I can't imagine the Jewel having something that isn't at least similar to the Dawn (and Star, her sister ship).

Relax and enjoy. You'll have a great time!!!

http://community.webshots.com/album/341385662TvTLSc

:D

That's great news!

Have you ever been with Royal Carribean? How do they compare?

All the best,

Dan

Here is a good thread to read

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=183266&page=1&pp=40

I will try and explain - I sure I can do a better job when I return from the Jewel in Sept. :)

2 main resturants just like any ship - free - different menu every night

Mama's Italian Kitchen - Itialian - free

Garden Cafe and great outdoors - typical buffet - free

Blue Lagoon 7x24 fast food - great fish and chips on other ships - Free

Tango's Tapas & Latin Restaurant free -southwest food and tapis

Chin Chin Asian Restaurant - Asian fussion and Sushi - $10 - $20

Le Bistro - An NCL Classic - $15 - great filet - choclate fondue to die for. Surf and turf every night ($20)

Cagney's Steakhouse - NY style steakhouse - $15- $25 - Classic cuts of beef- Maine lobster

The net - you can have plenty to eat without spending a dime extra. What I do is add $15 pp a day to my cruise fare and see it that number is still a great deal. That way I eat where I want and not car about the extra charge. I see it as a differed payment plan.

Thanks for the link to the thread.

Cleared up every question I had about NCL food.

Just one last thing. Has anyone experience the Kid's Club with NCL?

We went with Carnival, and although we weren't over impressed with a lot of their stuff, our 6 year-old was entertained throughout.

I saw they have a swimming pool for the kids, but she hates water!

Are there organised activities laid on rather than just saying "And here's a pool"?

All the best,

Dan

Thanks a lot for all the advice - We booked today on the NCL Jewel's maiden voyage. Can't wait!

Great idea ! there is a rollcall with others on the your cruise. Here is a link to the end of it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=3794258#post3794258

Send my best to Klaus the hotel Director. I will be onboard a few weeks after you. The ship is almost done. 2 weeks and it is floated out.

Cheers

Jewel530.jpg.0c3463659e3a093b6354533aa74bf4b1.jpg

Archived