taking extra handicap equipment

cotatica

I am going to be gone almost 8 weeks and flying both ways. My cruise, Carnival Splendor, has lots of ports to get off and explore. I plan to ride my Travelscoot to the plane door and do all the things that have been suggested and again pick it up when I get off the plane and ride it to baggage claim. Because I have mobility issues at times I can walk without aid, or I have to walk with a cane, or I need a walker, or I need to sit down or I have my Travelscoot. I think that probably fits alot of us. Also I have a problem getting out of the pools on the ship but I think I have come up with a plan.

I am planning to use the well made big, long Travelscoot bag, looks like a duffel bag with a long zipper, for transporting other devices I would like to take with me to make my trip better for me. I plan to check it on the plane. I plan to put in the walker, I want to walk as much as I can for exercise. I just got one that folds up and will fit in the bag with the bottom of the legs taken off. I plan to put walking polls in that I use when I go to the beach to walk in the sand and take into the water to get in and out. I plan to put in a small plastic step that folds flat that I want to see if I can use it to get out of the big pools on the ship. I plan to take my seat cane that I will take on some tours where the Travelscoot will not go. In my mind these are all handicap devices because I am using them for my handicap. I would really like feedback from all of you if you think I will have a problem checking this bag. Yes I know better then to put socks and other things in the bag to pad it or fill it. I am going to get some bubble wrap if I need to for that.

I want to check this bag so I won't have anything except my one carry on and just worry about myself and leaving my Travelscoot at the door of the plane.

I would really like your ideas of what I should do or not do to get this bag checked on the plane. How do you travel with a number of handicap items. Do you think I will have a problem?

Thanks, Marla

I am going to be gone almost 8 weeks and flying both ways. My cruise, Carnival Splendor, has lots of ports to get off and explore. I plan to ride my Travelscoot to the plane door and do all the things that have been suggested and again pick it up when I get off the plane and ride it to baggage claim. Because I have mobility issues at times I can walk without aid, or I have to walk with a cane, or I need a walker, or I need to sit down or I have my Travelscoot. I think that probably fits alot of us. Also I have a problem getting out of the pools on the ship but I think I have come up with a plan.

I am planning to use the well made big, long Travelscoot bag, looks like a duffel bag with a long zipper, for transporting other devices I would like to take with me to make my trip better for me. I plan to check it on the plane. I plan to put in the walker, I want to walk as much as I can for exercise. I just got one that folds up and will fit in the bag with the bottom of the legs taken off. I plan to put walking polls in that I use when I go to the beach to walk in the sand and take into the water to get in and out. I plan to put in a small plastic step that folds flat that I want to see if I can use it to get out of the big pools on the ship. I plan to take my seat cane that I will take on some tours where the Travelscoot will not go. In my mind these are all handicap devices because I am using them for my handicap. I would really like feedback from all of you if you think I will have a problem checking this bag. Yes I know better then to put socks and other things in the bag to pad it or fill it. I am going to get some bubble wrap if I need to for that.

I want to check this bag so I won't have anything except my one carry on and just worry about myself and leaving my Travelscoot at the door of the plane.

I would really like your ideas of what I should do or not do to get this bag checked on the plane. How do you travel with a number of handicap items. Do you think I will have a problem?

Thanks, Marla

Marla, I think you have a great plan!!!

Might I suggest though that before packing the plastic step for getting into and out of the pool, you first try it at a pool in your hometown?? IF it does not work well for you at home then it will not work on the ships pool either.

BTW, I always pad my medical devices whenever I put them in my checked luggage with my clothing. As long as it contains more than 50% medical devices/essentials it is considered Medical and you are not charged a suitcase fee.

Joanie

IF it does not work well for you at home then it will not work on the ships pool either.

BTW, I always pad my medical devices whenever I put them in my checked luggage with my clothing. As long as it contains more than 50% medical devices/essentials it is considered Medical and you are not charged a suitcase fee.

Joanie

Thanks Joanie for your suggestions. I have tried it at the pool as I go to water therapy 3 days a week. There they have a low part that is easy to get out but also the ladder so I and a number of people tried it and it really does help.

I had no idea you could pack things with the medical devices. I always thought it had to be completely medical in the bag. I will have to find that rule in print so I can show others. That is a big piece of information. Thanks

Thanks Joanie for your suggestions. I have tried it at the pool as I go to water therapy 3 days a week. There they have a low part that is easy to get out but also the ladder so I and a number of people tried it and it really does help.

I had no idea you could pack things with the medical devices. I always thought it had to be completely medical in the bag. I will have to find that rule in print so I can show others. That is a big piece of information. Thanks

I discovered this a couple years ago when I asked our check in sky cap to be careful with my 3rd piece of checked luggage as it had medical equipment in it. He told me there was no charge for baggage containg at least 50% medical:) I try to never take more than 1 checked luggage for each of us, but that trip was an exception.....

It is the same for carry on luggage. Medical equipment and supplies do not count as carry on. I always have one large carry on filled with my meds, and medical devices as well as my camera, tablet and a couple other small things, my purse, my cane and my Eclipse 3 Portable Oxygen Concentrator.

Joanie

Which airline do you fly? I looked up the rules and it states only "only mobility aids" so I am going to call Virgin America and Jet Blue that I am flying this trip to make sure I do not have a problem checking my bag with everything in it.

This is going to be way more information than you asked for but if someone can get themselves back into the pool it is worth it.

41eM16eRL2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have only been in a pool once that has the regular pool ladder on the side to climb out with. That was my first cruise on Carnival. I almost didn't get out! I love Princess ships because most have two pools I can get into/out of, the aft pool and the spa pool that is open to everyone and they both have the steps going down into the pool and a hand rail.

I love water and wanted to find a way to be able to use the regular pools. Especially on ships that don't have pools for people that are challenged. We will see on this next cruise if it will work but I think it will.

I was trying things at the pool I go to for water therapy and they have regular ladders on the side to get out. They also have handicap accessibility. The ladder at this pool hangs over the water and the steps are "cut" into the wall and it is impossible for me to get out.

My limitations have been not being able to get any push up with my legs because the bottom step is to high up. I have no upper body strength.

I got the above step stool and stood on it in the water and I didn't have to raise my leg up so high to get my foot into the bottom step. That really helped. Next was the upper body and my instructor started me doing push ups while standing in the water. I put my hands on the lip of the side of the pool, my feet out behind me and my back straight. I kept my elbow close to my sides and pushed up. At first I could only do 10 but now I do 50. When I can I do the same thing in my kitchen against the counter.

Now I can step on my step stool with both feet, put my hands on the railing that hangs over the pool and step up as well as pull and I can get out.

My friend told me that the ship has a railing that actually is out from the side a bit and my whole foot can go on each step as in the pool I can only step part of my foot into the step cut into the wall of the pool. So the ship should be easier.

If I'm by myself I haven't figured how to get the step out of the pool unless I tie something to it and bring it up with me. But if no one is in the pool I shouldn't be there!

As you see in my signature I am going to be gone a while but when I get back I will let you know how it worked.

Marla

Archived