Dream Report 5/19- 5/30

calee

OK here's the scoop on our Alaskan Dream cruise 5/19 - 5/30. Please remember that the opinions are mine alone and results may vary with other cruisers.

5/18 .....We(party of four)left Philly to Seattle via USAirways using frequent flyer miles for the round trip flight. Arrived in Seattle to a rainy afternoon( what else?) and stayed at the Fairfield Inn, SeaTac overnight. We had arranged a mini van through National for $102,taxes included, with a drop off at the Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver.

5/19.....We headed for the border at 8am and arrived at the ship by 11:30am....30 second delay at the border.We were allowed to board about 1pm and the Latitudes line was longer than the regular line. We had upgraded from an outside on 4 deck to a balcony on 8 deck (#8204)and we're really glad that we did. The available full breakfast through room service was a valuble asset because the buffet was god awful and dining room service slow.The room service food was very good and delivered promptly and hot.

5/20.....Cruising inside passage, sighted two bears on the beach, one black and one light brown.

5/21.....On the approach to Ketchikan sighted two humpbacks and 3 Orca between 5 and 6:30am. We used Allen Marine to visit Misty Fjords by a new jet boat and in addition to the senic pleasures we saw humpbacks,numerous porpoises,eagles and seals . Due to the length of the Misty Fjords trip we had no time to visit town, the short port stop(7-2pm) was a disappointment .

5/22.....Juneau 9-11pm, great weather 70+degrees for a trip with Capt.Larry. I must say that I was disappointed with the Awesome Orca, the head(toilet) was full of waste and nearly overflowing at the beginning of the trip,there is no excuse for that, also the trip was overbooked(standing room only). There were more people on board than showing on the manifest but they took them anyway. We spotted four humpbacks for the trip but all were 300+yards away but they wouldn't cooperate, imagine that ! Capt. Larry dropped us for a visit at the Mendenhall Glacier for an extra $5 and we later took the $5 shuttle back to town. Once back in town we took the Mount Roberts Tram and did a little hiking at the top before having a very good lunch at their resturant. We were berthed at the Dog Statue on the warf and we were able to see 5 mountain goats grazing high on the mountain side behind town.

5/23.....Skagway, another great weather day. We took the White Pass/ Liarsville tour at 7:30 am and had a good time. Visibility was endless making for great photo opts. Alaska has experienced a very warm spring to date and for early May there isn't a lot of snow remaining in the mountains. Frasier had a lot less than my last visit in 2003. Our bus on the return to Liarsville was owned by Holland American and was really nice for touring. The driver and his wife are school teachers in Utah and decided to work in Skagway for the summer season, she is with the WPRR.

5/24.....Hubbard Glacier, our weather luck continued as we sailed to Hubbard in the rain we could see that the Fjord containing the glacier was basking in sunshine. There was little ice in the Fjord and we were able to get close for almost two hours of viewing. We saw several small and one large calving before setting sail for Seward.

5/25....Seward, we had prebooked with Major Marine for their 7.5 hour Kenai NP tour including the "all you can eat" Prime Rib and Salmon dinner. Having previously sailed with the other large KNP touring company in Seward I found Major Marine's offering to be better(INHO). The prime rib dinner was very good and truly "all you can eat". The assigned seating and onboard Park Ranger with day long commentary were also home runs. The seas were completely flat, rare for this tour, and we saw humpbacks, two pods of Orca, Dall porpoises, etc.,etc. The offered $7 all day shuttle service between the dock and town didn't support our tour time so we used a cab $5 for all four of us, each way.

5/26..... Cruising to Sitka, The Gulf of Alaska was true to it's reputation, we had high seas for our crossing. I've noticed that a lot of people on this board have a problem with the "MOTION" on the Dream. Well, we did rock & roll a bit but not more than one would expect for choppy seas. I hadn't sailed the Dream before but I have cruise many times in the past on ships that were all much smaller than the Dream and I must say that she handled exactly like one would expect her to, in all conditions.

5/27.....Sitka, like Ketchikan another disappointingly short port visit. At first I thought they were inexperienced with tendering but then realized that they tendered in the Caribbean so I can't explain why the process was sooo slooooooow. We weren't on an organized tour so elected to wait for the rush ashore to end, never expecting it to take 2+ hours to set foot on land. Sitka is a great self touring town but with only 4 hours of time we only managed to visit the Park, the Raptor Center and do a little shopping downtown before having to reboard at 1:30.

5/28.....Prince Rupert, I can't comment on the town as we spent all of our time on the Grizzly Bear by boat tour, returning to the ship just before sailing at 6pm. The tour was very good, 2hrs traveling each way and 2 hours, hunting/viewing bears. We saw two bears, observing one for more than 20 minutes. I was able to get some great photos using a 600mm lens.

5/29.....Cruising to Seattle, outside passage.

Thoughts about the Dream.....

Pros...

1- Clean and well maintained

2- Crew members super friendly

3- Balcony rooms have full breakfast service,

helpful for shore excursions.

4- Would have no problems sailing her again.

Cons...

1-Freestyle concept is a failure on the Dream because of

ships design. 45min./1 hour wait is normal at all 3 main

dining rooms between 6:30 & 8pm.

2-Breakfast buffet is flat out awful. Lunch buffet extremely

crowded.

3-Port times could be a little longer in Ketchikan, Sitka and

Prince Rupert.

If you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I can.

Thank you for your review. Great review. I am glad to hear that the cruise was a success. I read with interest since we leave on the Dream 6/28. We also have a balcony room (#8205) and was glad to hear about the room service menu. As you said, will come in handy. Do you have any comments on the setup of the balcony rooms? t Was disappointed to hear the negative about Captain Larry..I had read such glowing reviews from last year's cruisers.

What was the best tour that you went on and why? Is there only a buffet breakfast in the Sports Bar (though that I read from another review that there was one in the Trattoria -- if so, was it god awful too).

Again, thanks so much for your review... look forward to any additional comments you may have.

Hi Linda, you joined our roll call a while ago. Still not a lot of people on there but the ship seems to have filled up. We'll be able to wave to each other from our balconies while enjoying our room service breakfasts!!

Good to see such positive reviews both of the ship and of the itinerary.

Thanks again, calee, for the great review.

Thank you for your review. Great review. I am glad to hear that the cruise was a success. I read with interest since we leave on the Dream 6/28. We also have a balcony room (#8205) and was glad to hear about the room service menu. As you said, will come in handy. Do you have any comments on the setup of the balcony rooms? t Was disappointed to hear the negative about Captain Larry..I had read such glowing reviews from last year's cruisers.

What was the best tour that you went on and why? Is there only a buffet breakfast in the Sports Bar (though that I read from another review that there was one in the Trattoria -- if so, was it god awful too).

Again, thanks so much for your review... look forward to any additional comments you may have.

Linda you will be pleased with 8205, it's a great location. I was pleased with our cabin, we had a queen bed and more storage space than I expected after reading the reviews elsewhere on this forum. Captain Larry's situation may have been "just one of those days", your trip may shine. I didn't expect the boat to be full beyond capacity as I had read that seating was for 30 but they limited it 20 or some such number to avoid overcrowding. The toilet, however, was a real surprise considering this was the first trip of the day and I would have thought this issue would have been addressed beforehand. The whales, they're either there or not, Capt. Larry sure can't control that. Yes you are correct there is also a buffet in the Trattoria and I tried it on our first day before I knew of the room service menu but again I didn't find it very good, especially the eggs. I'm sure that you'll have a great time.

Is there only a buffet breakfast in the Sports Bar (though that I read from another review that there was one in the Trattoria -- if so, was it god awful too).

Buffet breakfasts were set up in both the Sports Bar and Trattoria every morning except for disembarkation, where the only buffet was in the Sports Bar. In warmer weather cruises on the Dream, a breakfast buffet is offered at the Pizzeria next to the pool, but with open-air seating around the pool and the iffy Alaska weather, they replaced it with the Trattoria.

The quality of the breakfast buffet is, I suppose, in the eye and taste of the beholder. While this is far from the best breakfast buffet I've ever seen (the Cairo Marriott), for our breakfast tastes it was fine. Both venues had really good steam-table scrambled eggs, which is no mean trick. Omelets-to-order were prepared in the Trattoria and waffles in the Sports Bar. Cereal and muesli were available, along with croissants, a small assortment of pastries, some strange-looking muffins (took a couple of them on the White Pass train), toast and bagels, melon, fruit salad, Kadota figs (most mornings), a few other fruit choices, and cheeses. There was always smoked salmon in both venues, which was a better choice than the overcooked bacon and sausage--and also more healthful. Coffee, nice assortment of teas, cocoa, and two or three juices.

Calee........One more question..do balcony rooms get priority embarkation? Thought there maybe a chance since BA gets the upper category breakfast menu. THANKS

Sorry............but nope.

Here is a viewpoint from my wife who “suggested we just stay and live onboard” the Norwegian Dream.:D

Serious shoppers (besides the jewelry opportunities) should look for the blue “Destination Alaska!” coupon book (Readers Digest size) with two puffins on the cover. I got two in the Vancouver, BC terminal and also saw them in Seward. We have a large family, so the coupons helped me to buy up affordable souvenirs in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Seward. They came home in the empty duffle bag we had tucked in the bottom of a suitcase. (Sitka has a Ben Franklin near the Russian Orthodox Cathedral.) We enjoyed exploring and shopping on our own in most of the ports. I highly recommend the six hour, $89 “Yukon Scenic Drive” in Skagway and also the Major Marine all day Kenai Fjords cruse in Seward. I wasted suitcase space packing a pullover sweatshirt and sweatpants. Layers are the way to dress, and sweatshirts will probably be bought in Alaska.

The whole cruise was like an endless smorgasbord of choices – impossible to do everything. Pick and choose what you enjoy the most. When my sister and I started shopping, my husband would go have a beer with my brother-in-law. Those two especially enjoyed the cheese board in the dining rooms. Thanks to a previous posting, we knew to enjoy our final dinner in a favorite restaurant, rather that trying the “Seafood Buffet” Enjoy your cruise!

Where is the seafood buffet that you said you were glad to miss?

The seafood buffet was in the Sports Bar. Can't give an opinion as we ate in the Bistro that night.

Ben Franklin's in Sitka is a great place for souvenirs, sweatshirts, etc. We came away with three really nice sweatshirts from a sale rack outside the store for $30 total. It's across the street from the Russian Orthodox church.

The cheese boards in the Dream dining rooms were better than anything we've seen on HAL or Celebrity, where they bring you a plate prepared hours before with small, dried-out slices of four or five cheeses. On the Dream they let you choose the cheeses you like and cut them from nice-sized wedges specifically for you. A world of difference.

I'm trying to do this as quickly and economically as possible from Atlanta. does it wipe you out to try it all in one day?

I've sailed Celebrity Summit and wonder if I will be disappointed in the Dream, smaller, rockier ride etc. Anyone else been on Celebrity to compare?

Yet I favor the Dream because it goes to sitka rather than Skagway, gives me 4 more nights on board for the same price. any comments?

also, will be booking a guarantee ocean view. I think from the deck plans that some ocean views may be over the promenade where you really just look at people standing on the deck. Am I wrong? what could I expect from an obstructed view, a lifeboat below or in front of the window? I haven't been able to find cabin size (as in square feet) for the Dream. Any help out there?

Thanks! Phyllis

I'm trying to do this as quickly and economically as possible from Atlanta. does it wipe you out to try it all in one day?

I've sailed Celebrity Summit and wonder if I will be disappointed in the Dream, smaller, rockier ride etc. Anyone else been on Celebrity to compare?

We were not "wiped out" one bit after making the cross-country trip to Vancouver in the same day.

We sailed Celebrity's Galaxy--larger than the Dream but not as large as Summit--to the Canal last November. We did not notice a significant difference in the ships as far as "ride." Both have similar vibration--especially noticable aft--at certain speeds.

The ambience on the Dream is much more casual, which is to our liking. There is no bowing and scraping when you enter the dining room. The dining rooms are smaller and therefore to us more comfortable. We found dining room food to be comparable. Breakfast and lunch buffets on the Galaxy were more extensive--the buffet area is much larger. Celebrity, of course, offers no dinner buffet, and we found the flexibility in dining times and choices on the Dream much better suited to Alaska, where some port visits have hours extending well into the evening. Having a different menu available in the Trattoria (no extra charge) most nights was a plus for us.

The expanded itinerary of the Dream was its major attraction for us--the May 19 cruise included both Sitka and Skagway--and the cost for eleven days was comparable to most seven-day Alaska cruises.

In early pre-trip discussions about the Dream's Alaska cruises on this board, calee posted that he was "going for Alaska, not for the ship." I think if you read the post-trip reviews for May 19, most people found the Dream to be perfectly satisfactory.

There are some for whom the ship is the destination, and for whom all the ritual--traditional dining with fixed time, black tie, gowns, same dining room staff to chat them up every night, etc.--is vital to their cruising happiness. They will likely not find this kind of experience on the Dream.

Bottom-line, flashdog: Your happiness on the Dream will probably depend on what your priorities are. The ship is in fine shape after drydock. The staff is friendly and provides very good service. The food is good for a mass-market cruise line (a category which includes Celebrity, in my opinion). As to whether you'll be "disappointed" in the Dream, I don't think anyone can answer that question, because we all have different preferences and priorities.

Pre-5/19: We spent time in Victoria and Vancouver, both great.

5/19, Vancouver: We (wife and I) boarded around 2pm. Latitudes line was short, but we didn't have our membership numbers. The regular lines were very long.

5/20: Nothing special.

5/21, Ketchikan: Walked around downtown for about 45 minutes -- the best features are the creek and adjacent Married Man's Trail. Prebooked kayaking Orca's Cove with Southeast Sea Kayaks, $139 each. 2+ hours kayaking. Luckily, it was just us two with a guide. This was our first time ever kayaking. The water varied from smooth to somewhat choppy with 10 knot winds. Good guide. It was lots of fun, except when it got choppy. Smoked salmon snack at the end.

5/22, Juneau: Walked around downtown for about 30 minutes. Not much too see in that time other than shops. Prebooked whale watching with Orca Enterprises, $110 each -- see calee's report above, although he didn't mention the smoked salmon snack aboard. Also, he omitted the highlight of a bunch of sealions resting on a buoy. I heard they had been having several poor viewing days, but another passenger said later that same day was awesome. We also went to Mendenhall Glacier, and walked a few trails. (Be sure to bring your own food! None is available at the glacier.)

5/23, Skagway: Prebooked horsebacking with Joni with Southeast Tours, $150 each. Again, we lucked out and were the only ones on the tour. It was our first time horsebacking. The horsebacking lasted about an hour and a half, and was lots of fun, except for a downpour in the last few minutes. Had a snack at the end. The ranch is in the Yukon, with a beautiful hour drive each way -- essentially the same scenery as the tourist railroad. Saw a black bear along the road.

5/24: A chance for us to rest after some busy days.

5/25, Seward: Planned to go to Exit Glacier and the Harding Icefield trail. But, the ship arrive an hour later than originally schedule, cutting our time. Then, the shuttles to Exit Glacier didn't start until noon. And then we found out the Harding Icefield trail was snowbound halfway up. So, after wandering around town briefly, we took a cab to the glacier. We walked the few available trails, which we really enjoyed. (One easy trail, one moderate, and one strenous but only partially open. Saw a family of marmots playing. The glacier is smaller than the Mendenhall and Hubbard that we'd already seen, but here we were a lot closer. We took the $5 shuttle back, but it wasn't running according to its schedule.

5/26: Choppy. (Although not as bad as we'd seen in the Western Caribbean aboard the Norwegian Sea.)

5/27, Sitka: Originally planned to hike the Indian River Falls trail. But with the slow tender, we didn't have time. Instead, we walked around the pretty town and park. Highlights were the park (away from all the people) and Sheldon Jackson College's small aquarium where you can touch the sealife. Saw lots of bald eagles and some seals.

5/28, Prince Rupert: Again, we got in an hour later than originally scheduled. Prebooked kayaking with Blackfish Sea Kayaking, $75 CDN each. We were the only customers except for one local guy. About 4 hours kayaking, plus two stops. Included a Subway lunch. Waters were mostly calm. Two good guides. Saw the local petroglyphs and ruins, which turned out to be only somewhat interesting. Lots of bald eagles. Lots of fun.

5/29: A chance to relax again before packing.

5/30, Seattle: Took a taxi to the airport for $30 instead of the ship's bus for $25 each.

Food: We used room service only for one small quick breakfast. We mainly used the dining rooms. Food was very good. Service was good in The Terraces, but slow and with occasional mistakes in the Four Seasons with the same menu. Trattoria (Italian dinner) was inbetween in service quality. Unfortunately, it's menu didn't change much. We didn't try Le Bistro ($15 extra, French), but its windowless location along a main hall wasn't inviting. Waiting times for the restaurants were often 30-plus minutes for dinner. The Sports Bar's buffet is overly cramped and crowded, with mediocre food (but good scones and french fries at tea time). Trattoria's breakfast omelet buffet is limited in selection, but with shorter lines and good omelets.

Other: Public restrooms are in different places on each deck, and not prominently marked. All the public seating, other than the dining rooms, have too-low seat backs. We had a good shower, although I heard part of the 5th deck was without hot water the entire cruise. Thankfully, only one optional formal night. Some decent movies on the two TV movie channels.

Entertainment: The comedy and magic shows were decent. The jazz band was good. We didn't bother with the music & dance shows.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

We just returned from the Spirit on Saturday and I just booked the Dream for the end of August. So now I want to know everything I can about her!

One thing I noticed was people mentioning the long waits at dinner were - aren't you able to make reservations in the morning? We found that a real time saver and were hoping to do that again.

Do you remember which restaurant is opened for lunch upon boarding? It is always nice to start out the cruise with a sit down lunch :)

How was the casino?

Thanks!

Samantha

Calee,

Did you have any Children with you? If so how did they like the children's program?

Mark

Hi Mark, sorry I took so long to get back to you.........kids? , no We didn't have any with us.:) It did seem that there were many aboard and I passed the area set aside for the kids on deck 11 and noticed lots of kids having fun. Across from the "kids corner" were some conference rooms that also were utilized for the kids. I remember passing there one evening and all rooms were being used for a "sleep over". From an outside appearence the kids program seemed to be enjoyable to the kids.......sorry I can't give you any inside, firsthand advice.

We just returned from the Spirit on Saturday and I just booked the Dream for the end of August. So now I want to know everything I can about her!

One thing I noticed was people mentioning the long waits at dinner were - aren't you able to make reservations in the morning? We found that a real time saver and were hoping to do that again.

Do you remember which restaurant is opened for lunch upon boarding? It is always nice to start out the cruise with a sit down lunch :)

How was the casino?

Thanks!

Samantha

Samantha - We were on this cruise as well. In the beginning we did encounter lines, 15 to 30 minutes, but that was when we showed up before the dinning room was opened. We started taking our TA's advice and went fifteen minutes after they opened and were usually seated right away. Our favorite was the Terrace. We had our best service there and the menu was the same as the Four Seasons. We were so spoiled by the "sit down" service that we only used the sports bar for coffee and snacks, as well as the Pizzeria for salads, etc.

The Four Seasons was open for lunch the first day - DO NOT MISS THE CARROTT CAKE for dessert. That is the only time it is served and it is wonderful. We had heard about it from our friends who had eaten it on the Wind a couple of years back. My wife even asked for a piece to go and they gave it to her, on a covered plate. She finally got around to eating it several days later and it was still wonderful.

The only experience we had with the casino was having to hold our breath as we walked through to get to the Stardust Theater - we do not gamble or smoke. It did not seem that busy.

On decks four and five, hot water, or lack of was a disappointment, but that did not spoil our first cruise.

We loved the Dream.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

I can't say whether they would take reservations in the three dining rooms on the Dream, because we never tried. JACKWC's advice about dining times is right on. Unlike ships with traditional dining where everyone just enters the dining room and walks directly to their assigned table at their assigned time, everyone going into the dining room on a freestyle ship has to be individually seated according to their preference of table size, etc. This does take time, and with so many people who can't seem to wait until 15 or 20 minutes after the dining rooms (or buffets) open to eat, there can be a delay to be seated at the opening time.

As I've posted before, we found that by going to the early show and then taking dinner afterwards, there was never more than a five- or ten-minute wait for dinner, and I suspect that was mostly to get the table cleared and set for the next party. For some reason, there always seemed to be less demand for a table in the Trattoria, which has an Italian menu most nights but on three nights (Captain's, Presidents', and Chef's dinners) serves the same menu as the two main dining rooms. The Trattoria is, in our opinion, the most attractive dining room on the Dream so we would always go there when the menu was the same as in Four Seasons or Terraces, and also for several Italian dinners. It's worth noting that--for beef-lovers--the Italian restaurant serves a pretty good sirloin strip steak.

Can you walk right up to the Trattoria for dinner? The Itailian restaurant on the Spirit was free but required reservations to get in. There were a couple of nights it would have been nice to eat there but it was as I said, reservations only:(

When we first got on I looked over the weeks menu and that was how we picked when not to eat in the dinning room so I am hoping to do that on the Dream as well. I am not really into buffets so I am glad to get all this great info on the different restaurants!!!

I am sorry to hear there was a lot of smoke, we are not smokers and I would hate for that to be an issue as we will have kids with us -teens. I thought that smoking was kept to one side of the ship, did you find that was enforced on the Dream? I know they can smoke in the Casino and it will be somewhat a small area, so I will keep my fingers crossed we hit a sailing with mostly non smokers.

I was wondering if any of you remember how often you tendered? That can be such a pain.

Thanks for the help!

Samantha

The Dream tendered in Sitka, but not Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Seward, or Prince Rupert. You may have other ports on your itinerary. If you are anxious to get ashore at a tendered port, I'd suggest going to the main desk (or maybe it's the excursion desk) to get a tendering pass early in the morning (7am probably). Waiting for them to declare general boarding of the tenders (i.e., after everyone with a tendering pass or NCL-booked shore excursion has left) can cost you quite a bit of time.

We never made a reservation for the Trattoria. Because it is a "specialty" restaurant (though no additional charge), it's possible they make take them--especially on the nights when they serve Italian rather than the same menu as in the main dining room--but we never bothered to make them.

Try to walk through the casino on the port side of the ship and the smoke will be less. One layout issue with the Dream is that on deck nine--where the two main dining rooms are--the port side of the ship between the restaurants is taken up by a huge kitchen, so the only traffic is on the starboard side where smoking is allowed. Best bet is to go to deck ten and walk forward on the port side through the non-smoking lounges and the non-smoking side of the casino to get to the Stardust Lounge for the shows. Or, of course, to go from the Stardust aft to the dining rooms.

Wow you guys are great!

But of course I have a few more questions :o

I read there was a pasta/pizza bar? What would that be and would it be open 24/7?

Someone mentioned a mystery dinner -- did they have that wehen you sailed?

Also and lastly, is there a place to get sushi other than in Shogun?

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer!!!!!!

Samantha

Don't recall the times specifically but the pizzeria is open for lunch and then until about 5 or 5:30pm. Pizza is also available during afternoon tea in the Sports Bar.

The only pasta bar kind-of-thing I can recall is that at some meals in the Sports Bar they saute pastas for you with ingredients of your choosing. Might be good for a snack if you're planning a late dinner, for example, after the first show.

Don't know anything about a "mystery dinner."

There is no "Shogun" on the Dream. If I recall correctly, there was an all-you-can-eat sushi affair one day around lunchtime in the Bistro, and that might be all.

Newby here - would they post that the pasta deal was available or would we have to walk in and look to find it?

Is there ice cream some place?

I know we have to pay for pop but what is FREE to drink at dinner?

Alex

I'm not sure what you mean by "pasta deal"? But there are daily menus posted outside each restaurant, including the Italian Trattoria, each day with the daily offerings.

In addition to ice cream offerings at lunch and dinner there is also an ice cream stand located mid ship on deck 11 offering cones of various flavors.

The drink offerings are coffee, tea, milk and iced tea. I don't remember anything else.

The adult soda(pop) card on the Dream was offered at $57(US).

Archived