Luggage Advice

wrg11

Would DH and I be ok with packing 1 bag to check-on the plane and 1 to carry-on, 2 total for a 7 night vacation?
Do you mean two bags per-person or two bags for both of you? Unless I'm going on a very long 3-season cruise, I usually bring one bag and one smallish rolling backpack carry-on. The size of the bag depends on the cruise. I'll probably bring one 27" suitcase and my carry-on next month on my 7-day Crown cruise.

The DW and I take one suitcase and two under the seat bags for one week. Second under seat bag is do my photography equipment. Last October we took two suit cases and under seat bags for one week land and two week cruise. We had clothes we never wore but, the DW doesn't like taking chances.

Would DH and I be ok with packing 1 bag to check-on the plane and 1 to carry-on, 2 total for a 7 night vacation?

Thanks.

You would be doing well. I aways over pack and am always reminded of something someone wrote to me years ago on these boards.."pack your suitcase for a cruise, then remove half". I never follow it but it always make me think of how much I am taking that I will never wear.

You would be doing well. I aways over pack and am always reminded of something someone wrote to me years ago on these boards.."pack your suitcase for a cruise, then remove half". I never follow it but it always make me think of how much I am taking that I will never wear.
Good advice. When I pull out stuff to pack, I pull out what I want to bring. I then go through it and pack what I need for the cruise.

I'm definitely an overpacker. I'm going to Alaska in August with 4 days land afterwards. I know I'll be able to do laundry on the ship and I will use the "pack everything and then take out half" theory but I'm sure I'm still going to be taking too much. Having never been there, I'm just not sure what will be needed and what I wish I would have brought. Plus, the weather is another issue.

Work out what you wear casually on a normal week at home, (excluding work wear) then pick what you would wear for two nights out to dinner in a special restaurant at home, what comfortable footwear you would wear in a week, and of course the usual underwear + 2 extra changes, a box of "bling" and that is how we work out our cruise attire. Fine tuned this approach over time - and found it works.

Never been caught by the fashion police yet.

We take 1 bag each and a carry on. Put the things I can't easily replace. Like suit and mask. We then carry a garment bag for dresses and suits. We bring all our snorkel gear which takes a lot of room. A normal land vacation we don't need as much. The formal nights are great fun and we really don't mind the extra fee for taking the extra bag. it is nice to just hang it all up when we get onboard. This trip he has actually not even put up a fuss about taking a suit and the garment bag. He has given in and knows, on a cruise , it just takes more clothing.

Seven nights on Princess for us generally means one rolling duffle (airline carry-on size) and one backpack each.

We do a load of laundry midweek which really is no biggie. Throw it in the washer before breakfast, into the dryer after. One and done.

Love the freedom of traveling light and not worrying about airlines losing bags--or paying 50 bucks round trip.

We opt out of formal nights which is no hardship for us but a preference.

L takes a light weight black jersey skirt and pretty tops for dinners in the MDR

D takes one pair of khakis, a couple of tropical color polos, and a couple of Hawaiian type shirts.

Totally works for us!

Archived