Aruba florin or US$

70sGringo

Perhaps this is a naive question, but do the local Aruba merchants, taxis, excursions, etc. work with US dollars?

I read that the local currency is the Aruba florin, but everything is advertized in dollars. Money conversion, especially at tourist venues, always seems to be such a shady business :(, that I would welcome not having to convert.

I would be asking the same question in the Curacao and St. Maarten boards. Any idea about these islands, as well?

Perhaps this is a naive question, but do the local Aruba merchants, taxis, excursions, etc. work with US dollars?

I read that the local currency is the Aruba florin, but everything is advertized in dollars. Money conversion, especially at tourist venues, always seems to be such a shady business :(, that I would welcome not having to convert.

I would be asking the same question in the Curacao and St. Maarten boards. Any idea about these islands, as well?

Yes, they accept US Dollars. Prices are generally marked in US Dollars.

Last time I was there. I think it was $1.75 Florin= $1

When I got my bill at Carlos n Charlies I was shocked until I saw that they put both $ and Florin amounts on the check :)

• 3 weeks later...

Happpily, currency trading is not a shady business in Aruba. The rate above has been the same since we've been going to Aruba in 1988.

We own a timeshare there and make a few trips to the grocery store every visit. Prices there are in florins. Totals are converted to US sums if you need it. In the tourist stores, prices are in US, in stores Arubans frequent, prices are in Florins.

If you're looking for water, snacks, even Aruba ALoe lotion, etc, there's a small grocery store on the street directly behind the Seaport Mall. When exiting the mall, turn left. Prices there are much more reasonable than in the touristy mall stores...About half the price!

Tania-

Thanks so much for your tips. I will visit the store you mentioned, before we head off to Arashi and Malmok beach. Hopefully, we won't bump into the US media circus.

Cheers and many happy returns (to Aruba, that is)!:cool:

Exchange in the stores everywhere: 1US$=Afls 1.75

Buying florins in the banks: 1 US$=Afls 1.80+13 0/00 exchange tax

Cheques: 1 US$=Afls 1.80

The florin is somehow coupled to the US$. I'm not sure how it works, but it has been like this as long as I can remember and I've been around for a while now. I guess I would qualify as a 60sAruban. You do the math!!biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Don't accept any other rates, but as Tania pointed out I don't think you will run into any problems. Enjoy your stay!!smile.gif

Kibaima-

If I understand the conversion then, 1$US= 1.75 Afl on the street, but in the banks, 1$US = 1.57 Afl (after tax taken out for the exchange)? So, better just to convert and pay in US$ in stores?

How about Curacao?

BTW, I was a 60sGringo too, but that would just date me back even further!:eek:

Thanks

Kibaima-

If I understand the conversion then, 1$US= 1.75 Afl on the street, but in the banks, 1$US = 1.57 Afl (after tax taken out for the exchange)? So, better just to convert and pay in US$ in stores?

How about Curacao?

Thanks

Why do you want to exchange currency? American Dollars are accepted everywhere on the island.

Now that's a little hard to know if you've never been there, isn't it?

But, if I'm standing in a store that only has an AFl price on it, I better know what the exchange rate is, right? Even if they graciously accept greenbacks, you better know what the exchange rate is.

Thanks to all for the info. I have enough info now.

BTW, I found the Curacao exchange rate 1US$ = 1.77 NAFl. And yes, I know, they take US$ everywhere.

Now that's a little hard to know if you've never been there, isn't it?

But, if I'm standing in a store that only has an AFl price on it, I better know what the exchange rate is, right? Even if they graciously accept greenbacks, you better know what the exchange rate is.

Thanks to all for the info. I have enough info now.

BTW, I found the Curacao exchange rate 1US$ = 1.77 NAFl. And yes, I know, they take US$ everywhere.

I agree, I was also curious about the same thing before I visited the Happy Island for the first time. Unless you go off the beaten path virtually every shop will have the price marked in USD. Tourism is there stock and trade and they want to make it easier on people.

Please dont think I ws trying to flame you. I like to collect money from all the islands and countries I visit so its always interesting for me to find a local and get $1-5 worth of their money.

ge ra

Kibaima-

How about Curacao?

Thanks

In the banks it would be actually 1.8234 Afls for 1 US$. 13 promille is added to Afls 1.80 for tax. But as LibertyCruiser pointed out, US$ are accepted everywhere on the island, same thing goes for Curacao and also for Bonaire. I wouldn't know for the other islands though.smile.gif

Archived