St. Vincent botanical gardens

nigkar

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you can walk to them, but it's a pretty demanding walk, especially on the way to the gardens. It's mostly uphill, and would probably take you at least half an hour, walking at a pretty good pace. I would take a taxi or the local minivan/bus to get to the gardens, and walk on the way back - it would be downhill that way. The walk back would take you through Kingstown, and it's interesting walking there, seeing what people are doing, selling, and so on. Don't worry about getting lost. The Vincys are very kind and helpful, they'll direct you if you need help finding your way back to the ship.

One more thing about the gardens. I recommend you hire a guide at the gate - they will be there asking you if you want a tour. Expect to pay about $10 USD for this service, but it`s worth it. Nothing in the gardens is labelled, but there are many old trees with histories, and many plants you won`t recognize on your own. The guide will show you many interesting things linked to the history of the island. And that $10 you will pay is some guy`s job. Unemployment is very high on this island.

• 5 weeks later...

You can walk up to the gardens - but I'm not sure they are worth the sweaty effort. Very average in my view. I went only to see the breadfruit tree which is believed to be descended from one of the plants delivered to the island by Captain William Bligh.

Archived