Excellent private tours of Halifax

Just returned from a cruise to Canada. We did not book a ship excursion for Halifax so we decided to find something once we arrived in port, and I am glad we did. We received the best tour of our entire cruise from Jonathan Duru in Halifax. There were 6 of us and he picked us up at the pier and gave us a private personal view of one of the most beautiful cities I have been to. Jonathan knew all the great places to go. He knew the best time to go up to Peggy's Cove after the tour buses were gone. He took us to a great roadside restaurant we would have never found on our own. We got to see everything we could have wanted to see including the Titanic grave yard and the Citadel. Great family man who I would highly recommend to anyone going to Halifax. His web address is http://www.yourcab.ca. Look him up, you will be glad you did. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Hi,

We're surprising our mom with a cruise for her 80th birthday. She'll be traveling with a good friend. They're in pretty good health although walking is hard for her friend so we want to find excursions that are pretty mild.

We know they'll be nervous about doing a non-ship excursion so we need to be confident that things will go smoothly. Would you recommend the tour you did? I looked on the website and it looked great. If you don't mind sharing more details I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

PS - they're going the first week of September - St. John's and Halifax

Yes Kobe, I would highly recommend Jonathan. He picked us up right at the port in a very comfortable passenger van. We had a group of 6. Jonathan is very friendly and knowledgeable of the city and surrounding area. He is an absolute gentlemen and family man. I simply add that because we all laughed and talked about kids and traveling while riding along. He recommended places to see as well as asking us where we would like to go. He will advise what your mom would be able to see and do, and what things she might have trouble with. A couple times along the way while we were out for the day he stopped at interesting places and pretty much told anyone that might be tired and would like to just set in the van and rest feel free while the others got out to see whatever it was we stopped far. One example was visiting with a man who trapped lobsters. We stopped at his little place for a few minutes. Jonathan introduced us and we talked about his trade a bit, watched him repair his traps and then went on our way. A few in the group just stayed in the van while others visited. I would highly recommend him for your trip.

Billy

There were 6 of us and he picked us up at the pier and gave us a private personal view of one of the most beautiful cities I have been to. Jonathan knew all the great places to go. He knew the best time to go up to Peggy's Cove after the tour buses were gone.

Hi Billy,

We'll be on the Enchantment this August. Thanks for the link to his website. The rates posted are for a carload of 4. How much did he charge you for 6? What's at Peggy's cove?

Thanks for the tip!

I am sorry anteldel, I can't remember what the actual original quote was, or what we eventually paid Jonathan for our day. I do remember it being very reasonable and competitive. We were together as three couples. During the tour Jonathan offered to extend the amount of time we would be out if we might be interested in seeing additional things around the city. We gratefully accepted his offer and as a result he ended up touring us around much longer than the original amount of time offered at the set price. We paid him extra for his time and tipped him nicely for being a great guide. We simply divided the cost three ways and paid him when he returned us to the ship. It is difficult to put into words what is at Peggy's Cove other to say it is probably one of the most beautiful little villages I have ever been to. You should look it up on the internet. You will be very impressed.

pamkev, you will really enjoy Jonathan and Halifax. We were actually there at the end of September last year. Beautiful time in Nova Scotia. Weather was perfect, although quite windy around the light house at Peggy's Cove. We were disappointed that the leaves had not changed very much yet, but no one can control that.

BillyMetz, when did you do the tour with yourcab.ca? Your post on this thread made me do a search to see if others shared your opinions on him being a great choice and I found that you had posted almost word-for-word the exact post back in September or October. Then I read on this thread that you were there in September; however, your first post on this thread said you were just there. Were you there twice?

I just want to make sure that the recommendation is from an actual recent cruiser, not a friend of yourcab.ca that posts the same recommendation every couple of months. I'm just double-checking so that I feel confident recommending them to some clients.

DD, I was there in September 04 which to me is a "recent cruiser". I have only been there once. As a frequent cruiser I often scan the cruise critic message board for topics of interest. When I saw a number of people having questions about Halifax I thought it would be helpful to recommend Jonathan. Rather than retyping my earlier review, which was quite a number of pages back, I simply cut and pasted it forward. So it is "word for word". After the tour we took with Jonathan I do consider him a friend who I will most definitely contact the next time I am in Halifax. That is just how great of a tour guide he is. As a result of the experience I will continue to recommend people interested in tours of Halifax check to see if yourcab.ca is still available, well into the future.

thanks for the clarification :)

No problems here, just wanted to double-check.

PS -- I realize that my post count makes me look like a cc newbie. I had had 100s of posts on the old message board. When the boards were redone, for whatever reason I lost my post count. About that time, I went back to school to change careers & got a new job and didn't have time to breathe let alone play on the computer. It's only in the last month or so that I'm back on cc. I had forgotten what an excellent resource this site can be!

Archived