Planning a Family Cruise -- Where to Begin?

baseballmom94

I'm thinking of trying to plan a Spring Break cruise in March 2006 for our family of four. My kids will be 12 and 8 at that time. What is the best way to plan and get a good rate? What line is best for kids of this age range? What type of cabin is best? Are children's rates discounted? Can somebody with family cruise experience help me out? Thank you!:o

Start by checking different on-line travel agencies to see what price ranges are out there. That's how I found our next cruise (NCL Dawn 6/12/05 from NYC). I have 2 children: 2 and 7. So, I did a great deal of research on kid clubs aboard ships before I settled on NCL. Plus, we thought the service we received from NCL on our last cruise was the best, bar none (not to say that anyone else has bad service; this is just my opinion based on my experience). Type of cabin? That depends on how much money you want to spend and how well you all 4 get along in tight places. Our best friends went on a Caribbean cruise with their 3 kids and got an inside cabin. I can't imagine that. Talk about running into each other! We originally booked a mini-suite (much larger than an inside or outside) and has a sitting area where the couch folds out into a bed. We thought that would be perfect. Well, NCL called us a few days after the final payment was made and offered us the Penthouse suite for only an additional $900! :eek: We would have to shell out an additional $4000 for that if we had booked it outright. So, naturally, we jumped on it. This suite has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a seating area, dining area and balcony. We would NEVER have booked this on our own because it really is expensive.

As far as cruise line goes: they're all really good. Some are catering to families more than others: Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, and Princess are all very good for families like yours.

Then, after you've selected a few cruises to compare, call a travel agent. They will be able to assist you the best in making apples to apples comparisons. And, of course!!!! Don't forget your cc buddies here. These folks have first-hand accounts of their cruises so the information here is invaluable. Peruse the different cruise line boards to get the best picture for your family. Every cruise is a little different. Every cruise line is a little different.

Good luck and no matter what you choose, you'll have a GREAT time!

We always use a local Travel Agent (one that has been in business for a number of years and welcomes me into their office) - We prefer NCL because we love Freestyle (no mandatory dining arrangement or dress codes) - NCL is noted for good upgrade offers. We also prefer newer ships but the older ships tend to have better pricing. Categories, as well as sailing date, dictate the pricing - as stated previously, depends on how much you care to spend. We travel w/kids - prefer the balcony as we adults can enjoy the balcony whilst the younger set enjoy their quiet time. We've never met a 'kids klub' the kids didn't enjoy. If you absolutely want the best pricing opportunity, think about the 1st or 2nd weekend departures in any December - the ships are typically decorated nicely for the season - the ports, as well as the ships, are less crowded because schools are still in session. (loosely translated: best pricing/upgrades!) Bon Voyage.

We've done a number of cruises with our 2 young children. My kids liked Royal Caribbean because of the "Cruise Dollars" they gave you every time you entered the kids area or joined in a family acitivity. At the end of the cruise the kids spent the "Cruise Dollars" on toys and t-shirts. We liked Carnival because of the 214 ft. waterslide and the free Carnival logo backpacks they gave the kids at the end of the cruise. We also liked NCL because of the freestyle dining which made dining with kids much easier. I asked my kids which cruise line they liked best but they couldn't choose just one, they liked something about each cruise line. My advice is to let price and itinerary make your decision.:)

I think most everyone will agree that RCCL and Princess Have great kids . And obviously, Disney does too. We are a family of 5 so I usually book a balcony cabin for my husband and I and then across the hall and inside cabin for my 3 girls. With only 4 of you you can book either. However, I would suggest a balcony cabin - just that little bit of extra room with the balcony can make all the difference plus if you need to stay "in" because the kids have gone to bed you can always sit on the balcony with a nice bottle of wine and enjoy the sea going by... a night in could be alot worse!!

To economize almost all cruise lines have interior cabins that will accomodate 4 people. They are usually arrranged like 2 sets of bunk beds qith the lower beds being able to be pushed together if you choose. Storage will be tight no matter which cabin you choose if there are 4 people in there. We have found that it helps to keep some of the kids stuff in there suitcases which you can store under the beds and then just slide in and out as needed.

Finally - the 3rd & 4th person sharing a cabin with 2 full fare paying passengers do rece.ive a significant discount. THe discount will vary from cruise line to cruise line and sailing to sailing.

Just a note - we have sailed on RCCL, Princess, Celebrity, NCL and HAL. When just my husband and I cruise we will choose Celebrity EVERY time. But as a family we ALL prefer Princess. IMO Princess is a little more sophisticated than RCCL and the ships a little less "rowdy" for lack of a better word.

I all ways look for a group cruise going to see if I can get it cheaper and get some amenitys!!!! Some group cruises have $100 or more cabin credits too!!!!

I look for a balcony when cruising with kids!!! Give us adults a seperate place to go but still be there for them!!!

Been on Carnival and Princess with our little one (she's 7) and she loves the kids' programs. We've gone with either oceanview (closed in) or inside, avoided balcony cabins because we feel iffy with an active one. Here's what the bunk bed for inside on the Sapphire looks like:

bunkbed.jpg.f276deb96195d56cb9be8ee8e7a8c8ec.jpg

Archived