Conquest 1/1/06 child <2 Questions...

jnjrad

I'm sure these questions have all been asked before... but, I'm looking for specific experience with the Conquest. I've looked back in previous posts and haven't really found Conquest specific info. What are your best suggestions for bringing a 20 month on board? We have reserved a balcony room sandwiched in between my parents and DH parents. Can you take the 20 month old to the play area at Camp Carnival? I know she can't participate until 24 months. But, can I take her to play there? Is there anywhere on the Conquest that a 20 month old can swim? What were the cribs like? Did you need/could you use a car seat at port when taking a taxi? Any tips for early dinner seating? Someone suggested portable DVD player. Is this really appropriate for a (fancy) dinner area? I'm hesitant but, I know that would buy us some time to eat. Nothing provides her more entertainment than a good 30 minute "Dora" episode. Just not sure if it's appropriate. Did you tip more for the "hassle" of dealing with a toddler? (I usually do when we go out to eat...let's face it...they are messy eaters!) Has anyone used a baby monitor in the room after DC goes to sleep? Packing suggestions? Did you have to do laundry on board? What excursions did you do? Any other suggestions? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BTW I have cruised on the Conquest before and LOVED it. I'm very excited to share this with DD.

johnalene

Conquest 1/1/06

Conquest 6/22/03

Fascination 6/17/03

Imagination 11/1/98

I was just on the Conquest this past October with my 2 kids. You can take the 20 month old to the play area only during certain specified times of the day and only if you stay with him or her. As far as swimming goes, if he/she is potty trained, they can swim anywhere the other kids are allowed to swim. But if he/she is not potty trained and still in diapers, then it is against the rules because of sanitary issues. If the diapers leaked, the other kids could get sick from fecal matter in the water. I know of some people who have mentioned packing a tiny little blow up pool to let their little ones play in. That could be a good choice for such a little one.

We never used the crib or car seat while cruising since our little ones just slept with us and when they were little we just walked around in port and never used a taxi. As for dinner, I would eat earlier and then retire to the room with our little ones and put them down for the night. At about dessert time, my husband would call me and we would switch places. I could go up to the dining room and enjoy dessert and adult conversation while he took an evening nap or retired for the night.;) That situation of course was with the later dinner seating which worked perfectly since it was bedtime for our little ones.

Be aware that dinner is a big deal with 5 courses of food to go through. We never got out of the dining room under an hour and a half. This length of time may be difficult for a 20 month old. A DVD player would probably be okay if the little one used ear phones so as not to disturb someone. As my kids got older I brought along crayons and coloring books and sometimes even took them for a brief stroll between courses. Now that they are 6 and 8, things are much easier.:)

I did tip more when my kids were little and more of a hassle for the waiters. We never used baby monitors but we did try out the laundry facilities and were pleased with them. The Conquest has quite a few laundry rooms with ironing boards and irons in them.

I would suggest trying out Sunset Beach Resort while in Montego Bay Jamaica. Sunset is an all inclusive resort that has a one time fee of $20 to enter. Once you enter everything is paid for including alcohol. There are several restaurants, 3 pools, one with a swim up bar, a huge beach area, free kayaks, free paddle boats, free snorkle gear, volleyball games, and even a pool table. The drinks are very strong and the hummingbird is the best alcoholic frozen drink I've ever tried. It tastes like a very good milkshake with a kick!:D This place is a nice upscale resort without any pushy vendors to bother you. The 20 month old would enjoy playing on the beach or taking a paddle boat ride with you. My kids loved the cheeseburgers and fries at the beach side bar and grill. This place is very family friendly and quite relaxing.

Archived