There is a difference in ships!

blyle

Those of us who give advice regarding various ships need to be sensitive to the past cruise history of those asking. For instance after many cruises, I for one loved my second cruise on the Celebration after some years but I knew exactly what to expect. I originally sailed her when she was the new girl on the block but I would tell someone truthfully what the ship is like. It does not compare to most of todays ships. It seems now that the Fantasy class ships are the ones receiving negative reviews. Again they are the next oldest class. I for one will preface anything I say from now on by giving a comparison including age, size, decor and amenities. Not all ships have private restaurants, hairdryers,interactive tv etc. I think being well informed will help to make someone know what to expect! We can better prepare a future cruiser for their ship not by being negative but by being informed.

Those of us who give advice regarding various ships need to be sensitive to the past cruise history of those asking. For instance after many cruises, I for one loved my second cruise on the Celebration after some years but I knew exactly what to expect. I originally sailed her when she was the new girl on the block but I would tell someone truthfully what the ship is like. It does not compare to most of todays ships. It seems now that the Fantasy class ships are the ones receiving negative reviews. Again they are the next oldest class. I for one will preface anything I say from now on by giving a comparison including age, size, decor and amenities. Not all ships have private restaurants, hairdryers,interactive tv etc. I think being well informed will help to make someone know what to expect! We can better prepare a future cruiser for their ship not by being negative but by being informed.

I agree with you and thanks for bringing this up. I have only cruised once and became totally addicted after sailing on the Conquest. When I came home I discovered that I was truly a cruise addict and began researching ships and picked out an itinerary, dates , ship etc and booked. I have a nice wraparound coming up on the Triumph, but did not know there would NOT be a specialty dining restaurant - I figured that would be my solace without my nightly sushi bar visit! I did not study deck plans enough etc. I did know there would be no sushi before dinner (which was a bummer) - but happily booked.

Somewhere here a member told me there was no specialty restaurant on the Triumph and I was flabbergasted as through all I have researched that never came up for me until after I booked. It is important that the classes are broken down for us Newbies. A couple days ago I wrote down the different classes in my Carnival book..too confusing for me. I was looking at Valor but DH to be now says he wants a different class - what is left for me after Conquest, Triumph/Destiny classes? I want a fridge, a balcony and a good price....

I plan to try an older, smaller ship and KNOW I most likely will enjoy it. I just dont think I could go without a balcony....and suites so expensive you may as well go on a 7 dayer.... Either way, I do look forward to some Carnival HISTORY by sailing an an older ship one day

BettyB2

I just think that people get carried away after they cruise want to help everyone on the boards. Unfortunately after one cruise it is hard to talk about other ships. Newbies may know the deck plans are not the same but they expect the amenities to also be the same. As you found out, there is a difference. It may be interesting to start a thread that explains what is offered on each ship. The other day someone was complaining about not receiving a bday cake for free. Well all the lines did that years ago until it was abused and everyone said they were celebrating something. It was abused and discontinued. They don't offer oj all day long because those that smuggled vodka abused it and now they only offer punch and apple juice 24-7. So things do change and as you discovered we have to be sure that we have recently cruised on the ship we comment about.

As for older ships. They do have personality and if you are going because you like to cruise and don't mind the outdated decor than you may enjoy a smaller ship. We have made lasting friendships with those on the smaller ships because you see each other much more in my opinion.

Hope you have a great cruise on the Triumph and hopefully a great cruise on one of the older ships but remember on the Fantasy class only suites have balconies and cat 11 balconies are not what you would expect them to be.

Archived