Brazil, Uruguay, and Argentina

mare s.

Just returned from a cruise, Rio to Buenos Aires, which included stops in Parati, Ilhabela, Montevideo and Punta Del Este. Also did a few days pre cruise in Rio and post cruise days in B.A. and in Iguazu Falls. If you want any information (including tips on private tours) just let me know.

How did you spend your pre cruise days in Rio? We might be able to get there with FF points if we go a couple of days ahead of our cruise. However, we will have one additional day in port plus we were there less than two years ago and saw the more famous sights (Corcovado, Sugar Loaf, Copacabana & Ipanema, Metropolitan Church). What else might we add to that list?

marilynfaye...we had a wonderful private tour guide, Diana Persi, who took us to out of the way places, including a visit to a native village just outside Rio. She is a friend of the Chief and we were able to meet the villagers and see how they live. She also took us to the outer suburbs and to the rainforest (a must-see). We had a day on our own and walked from our hotel in Ipanema to the Botanical Gardens. The gardens are lovely (even in the rain..we got very wet but it was warm so we didn't mind)

Carnation....Punta Del Este is an easy town to walk. We were there overnight and so did that the first afternoon. The second day we went on a ship tour and saw the Ralli Museum (outstanding) the Pablo Atchugarry Foundation grounds (also wonderful) and had lunch at Narbonna Farm (very good). There is also a private wine tour (Ryan Hamilton) which we almost took...some cruisemates did take it and said it was excellent.

Timetravellers...didn't look for a dockside tourbus because we met a guide for a walking tour of the old city...ciudadviejatours...very good 2 1/2 hour tour given by a very nice young man...an ex-pat from the U.S.

mrslex...you can reach Diana at dianatoursinrio@yahoo.com. She has a blog too...dianatoursinrio.blogspot.com I hate to quote prices (because they can change) but we paid about $800 (this included picking us up at the airport and transporting us to our hotel and delivering us to the cruiseport on our last day) for two days, which we split with another couple traveling with us. Diana really is a gem...Sugar Loaf and Corcovado were socked in with clouds...so she changed around the itineraries and we saw so much more of Rio than we expected, including that native village...a real highlight of the tour.

marilynfaye...we had a wonderful private tour guide, Diana Persi, who took us to out of the way places, including a visit to a native village just outside Rio. She is a friend of the Chief and we were able to meet the villagers and see how they live. She also took us to the outer suburbs and to the rainforest (a must-see).

I would love to know the name of this native village and approx where it was located. You are not referring to a favela by any chance are you?

Menininha82...thanks for the links. That is indeed the place we visited. The village is situated between the lagoon and the sea and the site is absolutely gorgeous. The entrance is down a dirt road from some very modern (and obviously expensive) houses. A very stark contrast.

Hello - we (2 couples) are cruising from Rio to Buenos Aires on Feb. 22 arriving on the 21st for an extra day in Rio, visiting ports of Punta del Esta, Rio Grande, Portobelo, Buzios, Ilha Grande, Parati, Santos and Montevideo, taking the Iguazu Falls extension and staying 3 extra nights in B.A. I have a guide for two days in B.A., was told to avoid Parati, but would love info on the other stops. Can you recommend a good guide in Rio for a day to get in as much as we can. I would rather avoid the ship excursions as they are usually overpriced and would be happy just to wander around if there isn't that much to see on the stops. Would greatly appreciate any information or tips. Many thanks.

I posted seperate trip reports for Parati, Buzios and Porto Belo in this forum earlier this month.

You will see the subject line reads: "xxxx - Port Trip Report"

I also posted a trip report for Punte del Este in the port reviews.

I was on the Azamara Quest. If you have questions, I am happy to try to answer.

Enjoy your trips!

I posted seperate trip reports for Parati, Buzios and Porto Belo in this forum earlier this month.

You will see the subject line reads: "xxxx - Port Trip Report"

I also posted a trip report for Punte del Este in the port reviews.

I was on the Azamara Quest. If you have questions, I am happy to try to answer.

Enjoy your trips!

I am new to this process and cannot find your previous postings. Help!

wailea4me...in Rio we had a guide, Diana Persi, for two of the four days. She was great. The rest of the time we walked around Ipanema and Leblon and walked to the Botanical Garden (well worth it). Weather was bad so we didn't spend any time at the beach. In Parati we took a ship excursion, swimming and snorkeling (not great) and walked around the town (very difficult with the cobblestones and, in our case, very very hot and humid) In Ilhabela we just wandered around town and shopped...it's a very picturesque place. Some friends did a ship excursion, a hike through the rainforest, and said it wasn't worth it. We loved Punta Del Este...spent one afternoon on a self guided walking tour (they give out maps at the harbor) and down the main shopping street. The next day took a ship tour to the Ralli Museum (wonderful), Pablo Atchugarry Foundation (also wonderful) and a lunch at Narbona Farm (very good food.) There is a lot to see and do in Punta Del Este...it was our favorite port. Montevideo, took a walking tour of the old city with Ciudadviejatours....enjoyable but it's sad to see the city in such disrepair. In Buenos Aires took a 7 hour (with stops for lunch and cold drinks) walking tour with Buenostours...excellent tour. Our tour guide was Jessica, an ex-pat from New Jersey who was both knowledgeable and fun to be with. On day 2 we took a ship excursion to an estancia...I found it boring and not worth the money. Then, upon disembarking the ship, we went to Iguazu Falls for two days...we did it independently and stayed at Secret Garden B&B. Despite the heat and mosquitoes, Iguazu was incredible. Well worth the extra time and money. That about sums it up. Hope it's helpful.

I am new to this process and cannot find your previous postings. Help!

As requested here are some reviews.

Parati, Brazil

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758925

Punte Del Este, Uruguay

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758933

Buzios, Brazil

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758923

Ilhabela, Brail

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758928

Porto Bela, Brazil

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1758930

Archived