NCL Gem or Carnival Miracle

MissKathy107

First of all, this thread is adorable, and you totally have me rooting for you and your man. Secong, I unequivocally think that you made the right decision. I am always one for sailing different line (as you can see from my signiture) and trying different ships (and even different types of vacations- not just cruises. I just got off the Gem on 1/27 though and I am already considering booking the exact same cruise for December. This is HIGHLY unusual for me, as I generally do not cruise for two vacations in a row, let alone the same exact line and ship! In my opinion though, the Gem is the perfect size, with the perfect mix of available active v. relaxing features. It was fantastic for everyone from my very small children (5, 3, 6mo.), to my nearly 60 year old parents. The specialty restaruants make it feel more like a Resort Dining experience, and are worth every penny to me.

Have a blast! Maybe you'll get married onboard in a few years ;)

I've been on both ships and in my opinion there is no comparison. The Miracle is a good ship, but the Gem is head and shoulders above it. The Gem is even much better than Jewell, especially the design of the Garden Cafe and The Great Outdoors.

I'm sure you will have a good time on either one, but it's a personal decision whether a little more upscale is worth the extra dollars. Here's a thread just down the page that may help you decide if NCL is worth more money than Carnival...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1785574

Next, be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Is the balcony cabin on the Gem a regular balcony or a Mini-Suite? There is a big difference. Below is a link to Photobucket and the pictures I took of the Gem Mini-Suite...

http://s158.beta.photobucket.com/user/CraneLegs/library/

Thanks for your tips! Your mini suite looks very similar to the mini suite on the Jewel.

I opted for an aft balcony on the Gem which was almost the same price as having a mini-suite. For this trip, I guess i rather have the better view than the extra footage. :)

First of all, this thread is adorable, and you totally have me rooting for you and your man. Secong, I unequivocally think that you made the right decision. I am always one for sailing different line (as you can see from my signiture) and trying different ships (and even different types of vacations- not just cruises. I just got off the Gem on 1/27 though and I am already considering booking the exact same cruise for December. This is HIGHLY unusual for me, as I generally do not cruise for two vacations in a row, let alone the same exact line and ship! In my opinion though, the Gem is the perfect size, with the perfect mix of available active v. relaxing features. It was fantastic for everyone from my very small children (5, 3, 6mo.), to my nearly 60 year old parents. The specialty restaruants make it feel more like a Resort Dining experience, and are worth every penny to me.

Thanks so much! You got me blushing! :o

I agree. If it's anything like the Jewel, I'll be happy. I've been on the Jewel twice and was so impressed both times I sailed.

Also, I don't really think singing waiters/waitresses will set the mood for me. I witnessed that on Carnival last month. Great for children and families, but that's not the type of trip I'll be taking this time.

I think I made the right decision. :)

Miss Kathy,

As you know my wife and I are also on this cruise and we are excited as it is getting very close. We have four friends sailing with us but always looking for more cruise buddies! Join us for drinks some evening (lol, morning or afternoon) and we'll buy you and your beau a Martini!:D

If you see this can you email me? I had a few questions for you.

Thanks,

Louis ljgmc@comcast.net

We just did the Gem with my parents in September and my parents actually just got off the Miracle on Sunday. If they had to choose, they'd pick the Gem. They said the Miracle had great food, but they were really bored and the entertainment was beyond horrible.

We just did the Gem with my parents in September and my parents actually just got off the Miracle on Sunday. If they had to choose, they'd pick the Gem. They said the Miracle had great food, but they were really bored and the entertainment was beyond horrible.

Then I am glad I made the right decision :D

Thanks

• 3 years later...

I was just looking through my history on cruise critic and noticed your comment! Guess what! We did get married Nov 2015! 598b4874649e20fc9c59aa910842cdab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums