Mallorca Sites

BethIRC

We are on the Silver Wind departing Mallorca July 11 and doing 1 night pre-cruise in Mallorca. Any suggestions on what to see while we are there? Any others on this voyage? We are counting down our days - 38!

Beth

The place to stay:

http://www.palaciocasagalesa.com/

Place to eat:

http://www.readshotel.com/uk/restaurant.htm

Place to see:

http://www.march.es/arte/ingles/palma/index.asp

The place to drink:

http://www.mallorcafact.com/tours/abaco/abaco.htm

Jeff

edited to say that the hotel is my favourite of all the places I stay in the whole wide world! I

Hi Beth,

I hope you enjoy your very short stay in Palma. I rarely recommend a hotel so unequivocally, but the PALACIO CA SA GALESA, is a very unusual place and if there is any way you can stay here, even if you have to change arrangements I promise you will remember your stay for the rest of your life.

It is right in the center of Palma, just under the cathedral and so is as central as you can be. This part of the old town is pedestrianised and whilst taxis can just about get to it, you’ll hear and see no traffic. It is a short walk to where the SS bus stops to decant.

The main thing about the hotel and is not really discussed on the web site for security reasons is that the building was bought by a multi-millionaire who fell in love with it. He renovated the building without any budget constraints. On the walls is a considerable amount of original art including quite a lot of Miro’s best work. The Palacio doesn’t have a restaurant, but being where it is it is surrounded by restaurants and Tapas bars. Being in the old town, it is very quiet at night. The hotel has a bar trust system, you just help yourself and write it in the book. Every day at 5 home made cake is laid out in the “Monet Kitchen” and you help yourself to your own favourite tea. At 7pm a range of complimentary sherries are laid out. Our favourite nights were spent on the roof terrace with a bottle of Cava or two.

To illustrate the ethos, a few months ago I was on an SS cruise with some friends that was in Palma for a day and I was keen to show my friends the Palacio because we hop over their whenever we can and wanted them to join us. I e-mailed them and asked if it were ok to show them around. They of course said “this is your home in Palma, you come whenever you want and bring whomever you want”. My friends were awestruck by the place particularly when the hotel insisted on bringing us a couple of bottles of Cava and nibbles onto the roof terrace and wouldn’t accept any payment. It is the way all of us would run such a place if we had one.

Enjoy Palma and ask any specific questions you have.

Jeff

• 5 weeks later...

hi Bethirc we are on your mallorca cruise with our friends .we all live in miami and look foreward to meeting you on board.the ports look great and the ship is wonderful. see you in spain.

Bannana,

Looking forward to our cruise. We are traveling with 8 friends from Vero Beach and Jupiter and leave on Thursday to go to Barcelona for 2 nights then on to Mallorca. See on board on the 11th! Countdown is on....!

Beth

Archived