Dawn gym? and thermal suite?

DMLyons

The descriptions of the gyms I've seen are frustratingly vague. I know the gym has cardio equipment like treadmills and bikes, and I have figured out it has a TRX from the POD (plan of the day), which is excellent! Is there any way to find out a full list of what the gym has for equipment? Has anyone posted a list? I have a fairly set workout I do, but I can't for the life of me figure out if the gym will have the machines I'm accustomed to using or not from the scant descriptions I've seen of it. The less of my own workout materials I have to bring with me, the better, IMO. If I know it has at least most of what I'm accustomed to, I won't have to bring anything (except maybe a flat band or two) along with me, which would be ideal.

I know the thermal suite has a lap pool. Is there a lane in the pool designated for water walking and water exercise? Or is there another place on the ship that is better for that sort of exercise?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

BDL

IMHO, the thermal suite pool isn't designed for much of anything. I tried to swim laps in it, but it was too shallow (about 2-3 ft?). My hands and feet would brush up against the bottom of the pool while trying to swim. Truth be told, there probably isn't a good place on board for lap swimming, unless you managed to catch the main pool at an off time when no one else wanted to use it.

Can't help with the fitness center...

What specifically were you looking for in the weight room? That might help others recall if it was there.... On the Dawn I remember treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, stair climbers, free weights, weight machines of various types, yoga balls/ab balls... there may have been an "ab roller" thing I think... There was also an area with stretching mats, and a step I think.

IMHO, the thermal suite pool isn't designed for much of anything. I tried to swim laps in it, but it was too shallow (about 2-3 ft?). My hands and feet would brush up against the bottom of the pool while trying to swim. Truth be told, there probably isn't a good place on board for lap swimming, unless you managed to catch the main pool at an off time when no one else wanted to use it.

Thanks much. Ironically, the shallow pool is perfect for what I need it for. The water exercises are best done in about three feet of water. Less will be odd, but it wouldn't be impossible.

BDL

What specifically were you looking for in the weight room? That might help others recall if it was there.... On the Dawn I remember treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, stair climbers, free weights, weight machines of various types, yoga balls/ab balls... there may have been an "ab roller" thing I think... There was also an area with stretching mats, and a step I think.

Brilliant. That's a lot of what I use right there. I also use the ab machine (the one you stand on, hold the side handles, and then fold your legs up toward your upper body), arm bike, arc trainer, rowing machine, and Roman chair. But if I have to substitute things for those, that's fine. Just trying to get a feel of what's there. Sounds like I won't have to bring much of anything with me, and that's a bonus plan.

Also, do you have to have someone with you to spot, or will there be NCL folks around that can do that with free weights?

Thanks again!

BDL

There were NCL workers there- and there are trainers- I've seen them spotting people, but I don't know if that was available to everyone, or just those who purchased "personal training" sessions. That's the other thing to consider- there have always been packages the first day to get personal training sessions with their trainers- price was pretty reasonable (especially if you sign up for at least 3 I think)- and it might be a nice way to add in a boost to your training for the week- something different, you know? I never did it, but from what I saw it looked good. Go to the gym on the first day when you board, and they'll have everything set up there about what all they offer. I remember personal training packages, and pilates reformer packages.

That's the other thing to consider- there have always been packages the first day to get personal training sessions with their trainers- price was pretty reasonable (especially if you sign up for at least 3 I think)- and it might be a nice way to add in a boost to your training for the week- something different, you know? I never did it, but from what I saw it looked good. Go to the gym on the first day when you board, and they'll have everything set up there about what all they offer. I remember personal training packages, and pilates reformer packages.

Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I work with a trainer now. Thanks!

BDL

Archived