Carnival Magic Jan. 20 Isle of Roatan, Belize and Cozumel

Blueboss

Saturday Jan, 26th Final day at sea. :( Today we were booked for the Behind the Fun Tour ($95 pp) so had to be up early. We ordered room service to arrive early enough to also use them as a wake up call. Worked like a charm, although I might have traumatized the waiter for life! No one should ever have to see me as soon as I roll out of bed! :o We met up with our group in the steakhouse for the tour and started with a mini lesson about the cuts of meat Carnival uses. We moved on to the main galley to meet the head chef and learn how they handle the chaos of preparing and serving every bit of food on the ship. Next stop was the food storage areas and coolers. Beef, pork, chicken and fish each have a cooler to prevent cross contamination. Beverages had another cooler, wonder how many wine drinkers realize they use a lot of box wine? We aren't wine drinkers so don't know if it says that on the wine list. The next area to see was the main laundry. Those washers and dryers are huge! We saw a machine they feed the sheets into on one side damp and it comes out the other side ironed and folded. And no, it won't fit into an average size house. ;) Next stop was the crew lounge and dining room. The crew eats similar food to what the rest of the ship is served, but more simple and rice is ALWAYS on the menu. The lounge had a pool table, an arcade game, Wii/Play Station 3 and a small bar. Across the hall was a computer room for onboard training and internet use (they have to buy their own internet time). The tour moved on to the Engine Control room. It gets kind of technical here and a lot of numbers are tossed around such as horsepower, fuel consumption, etc. The engineer explained the thrusters and stabilizers to us as he pointed them out on one of the many monitors placed around the room. We passed the Morgue and Brig on our way to the next stop, backstage of the show lounge. The lighting manager and dance captain explained how they put on a show and we got to see the female dressing/costume room. Several racks of costumes and wigs on foam heads lined the walls. Next, we went to the deck on the bow of the ship and had a group picture taken before going up to the bridge to meet the Captain. The Captain explained an average day on the Bridge, command structure and how shift changes were handled. Another group picture was taken with the Captain and each of us, or couple, could get an individual picture with him. The tour ended in Escape Lounge with a Mimosa or glass of champagne. We filled out a short survey about our tour and were given some free gifts: string bag, lanyard, soap carving (carved by the ice carver), ball cap and a silicone bracelet. The pictures were included with the price of the tour and would be delivered later that evening. I figured DH and I would get one set (3) of pictures, but we each got a set. There was also a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin that evening too. We found this tour interesting and enjoyed it, but doubt that we do it again. How much can be different from one ship to the next? They only take a very limited number of guests on these tours and you have to get to the Shore Excursion Desk quickly to book one, they fill up fast. On this cruise, they had two groups of 17 for the tour. I will also caution that in places, the floors are slick and the stairs, the crew uses, are very steep. I really wish I had pictures from this tour, but another rule is no cameras or cell phones. We were done with the tour around 1 PM. We went to the Italian Restaurant again for lunch then spent the rest of the afternoon soaking up the sun, people watching and taking pictures. I did find the coin, but cheated and asked the Captain where it was. After reading CC, I was surprised that several in our tour group did not know what I was talking about. I thought looking for the coin was a big deal to most passengers. That evening we spent some time organizing and packing our bags. We chose to do self assist since we had glass bottles of tequila we really wanted home in one piece. I just don't trust baggage handlers to be delicate. :eek: Dinner was bittersweet, loved being waited on and knew it was coming to an end.

Sunday Jan. 27th, Debarkation.......Blech! We had left our curtains open throughout the entire cruise so we could wake up to the ocean. This morning we woke up to the lights of Galveston. Should have closed the drapes on the last night. That was such a rude awakening! Even though we could have left the ship when they started debarking at 6:30 AM, we chose to linger on the Lido Deck over breakfast and lots of coffee. Some passengers had flights and needed to be off the ship before us, we were in no hurry. Once we decided to leave the ship, our relaxed vacation ended in the Atrium Lobby on deck 3. The elevator doors opened to a sea of people! We were lucky (?) and were able to squeeze off, others rode the elevator several trips up and down before finding a spot to squeeze into. The line finally started moving but only because the staff figured out a way to snake us around the lobby. At least it wasn't stifling anymore. The staff would let several people off the ship and then hold the line up, let a few more off and then hold it up again. I guess they didn't want the gangway crowded and too much weight on it. Once we were allowed to leave, we breezed right down it. The customs line was a whole different story! I've seen rush hour, New York City traffic move faster than those lines! It took us almost 2 hours to get through that line. Other passengers seemed to take it in stride, chatting, texting, playing Nintendo DS, a little air was stirring so we didn't get too hot. Once we reached the desk, the agent looked at our passports, declaration form, asked how the weather was in Missouri and waved us on through. This is the first time we have cruised out of Galveston so can't say if this is normal or not. I've heard from others that it isn't, it's just this itinerary. Something about politics, trade agreements with Belize and Honduras, Homeland Security and a lazy Customs Agency. Who knows? I would like to do this itinerary again, but think I will go to NOLA next time, see what it's like getting through customs there. Once out of the terminal, the Lighthouse Parking shuttle was waiting in the parking lot and it was a quick trip over to our car.

Overall, we really enjoyed our cruise and the ports of call. There are some things we will do differently, some things we will do the same on the next cruise we take to these ports.

Thanks for reading my review, all the encouragement and nice comments. I hope it was easy to follow and I didn't butcher the English language too much. Sometimes my fingers and brain aren't in synch when I type. LOL

Saturday Jan, 26th Final day at sea. :( Today we were booked for the Behind the Fun Tour ($95 pp) so had to be up early. We ordered room service to arrive early enough to also use them as a wake up call. Worked like a charm, although I might have traumatized the waiter for life! No one should ever have to see me as soon as I roll out of bed! :o We met up with our group in the steakhouse for the tour and started with a mini lesson about the cuts of meat Carnival uses. We moved on to the main galley to meet the head chef and learn how they handle the chaos of preparing and serving every bit of food on the ship. Next stop was the food storage areas and coolers. Beef, pork, chicken and fish each have a cooler to prevent cross contamination. Beverages had another cooler, wonder how many wine drinkers realize they use a lot of box wine? We aren't wine drinkers so don't know if it says that on the wine list. The next area to see was the main laundry. Those washers and dryers are huge! We saw a machine they feed the sheets into on one side damp and it comes out the other side ironed and folded. And no, it won't fit into an average size house. ;) Next stop was the crew lounge and dining room. The crew eats similar food to what the rest of the ship is served, but more simple and rice is ALWAYS on the menu. The lounge had a pool table, an arcade game, Wii/Play Station 3 and a small bar. Across the hall was a computer room for onboard training and internet use (they have to buy their own internet time). The tour moved on to the Engine Control room. It gets kind of technical here and a lot of numbers are tossed around such as horsepower, fuel consumption, etc. The engineer explained the thrusters and stabilizers to us as he pointed them out on one of the many monitors placed around the room. We passed the Morgue and Brig on our way to the next stop, backstage of the show lounge. The lighting manager and dance captain explained how they put on a show and we got to see the female dressing/costume room. Several racks of costumes and wigs on foam heads lined the walls. Next, we went to the deck on the bow of the ship and had a group picture taken before going up to the bridge to meet the Captain. The Captain explained an average day on the Bridge, command structure and how shift changes were handled. Another group picture was taken with the Captain and each of us, or couple, could get an individual picture with him. The tour ended in Escape Lounge with a Mimosa or glass of champagne. We filled out a short survey about our tour and were given some free gifts: string bag, lanyard, soap carving (carved by the ice carver), ball cap and a silicone bracelet. The pictures were included with the price of the tour and would be delivered later that evening. I figured DH and I would get one set (3) of pictures, but we each got a set. There was also a plate of chocolate covered strawberries in our cabin that evening too. We found this tour interesting and enjoyed it, but doubt that we do it again. How much can be different from one ship to the next? They only take a very limited number of guests on these tours and you have to get to the Shore Excursion Desk quickly to book one, they fill up fast. On this cruise, they had two groups of 17 for the tour. I will also caution that in places, the floors are slick and the stairs, the crew uses, are very steep. I really wish I had pictures from this tour, but another rule is no cameras or cell phones. We were done with the tour around 1 PM. We went to the Italian Restaurant again for lunch then spent the rest of the afternoon soaking up the sun, people watching and taking pictures. I did find the coin, but cheated and asked the Captain where it was. After reading CC, I was surprised that several in our tour group did not know what I was talking about. I thought looking for the coin was a big deal to most passengers. That evening we spent some time organizing and packing our bags. We chose to do self assist since we had glass bottles of tequila we really wanted home in one piece. I just don't trust baggage handlers to be delicate. :eek: Dinner was bittersweet, loved being waited on and knew it was coming to an end.

It would make sense to do so since those boxes stay fresh much longer than a bottle that they may open and then no one orders more for a day or two (it could happen:rolleyes:). As long as the wine is listed by it's correct name on the menu its fine by me. Saves them having to run for another glass bottle every 10 minutes. And if no one has screamed out 'its from a box, I can tell' lately I guess it tastes fine. I buy box and bottle and one can be as good as the other in most cases.

Love, love, loved your review. The pictures are fantastic! The bad part is now finding another thread to view since your cruise is over. :(

Enjoyed reading your review. What were your like's/ dislikes on the cruise. How do I get in touch with Victor Bodden?

Google Victor Bodden Roatan, there is an email contact address. He also has tours in Belize as well. I booked our independent tours online through email, they are quick to respond. It took about 30 minutes from initial contact to being booked, not days like I thought it might take. They do warn you, Roatan has intermittent internet service and it could take a longer for them to respond.

It would make sense to do so since those boxes stay fresh much longer than a bottle that they may open and then no one orders more for a day or two (it could happen:rolleyes:). As long as the wine is listed by it's correct name on the menu its fine by me. Saves them having to run for another glass bottle every 10 minutes. And if no one has screamed out 'its from a box, I can tell' lately I guess it tastes fine. I buy box and bottle and one can be as good as the other in most cases.

Love, love, loved your review. The pictures are fantastic! The bad part is now finding another thread to view since your cruise is over. :(

Yes, that would make sense and it travels better than a lot of bottles. Box wine got a bad rap, in the early days, guess it's came a long way since then. We did buy a bottle of Cashew wine while in Belize. Heard people talking about it and thought we would try it. Some really liked it, others didn't care for it. We had a tasting, with several members of my family, when we got home. None of us cared for it. It's similar to a port wine.

Now that our cruise is over, we are looking around for another one as well. We won't be able to cruise again until next year since I'm going to Europe for a month later this year to visit DS. DD said she wanted to go to the Bahamas on Sunshine for our next cruise. Will be checking into that. I'm hoping DS will be back home and can go with us as well.

What tour did you guys take in Cozumel..I espically love the ones of the sea shore and the water crashing against the rocks..been to Cozumel several times and never seen this..

Carnival's Top 10 Best of Cozumel ($60 pp). Next time we will just get a taxi or hire a private driver since we weren't all that interested in the shopping part. It's on the other side of the island from all the beach clubs and is less developed, no electric, basically 3 bars on that side. According to everything I have read, it's where the locals go. We really liked the ruggedness of it.

What a great review! Excellent pictures. Love the dancing pictures the most... that looks like a fun-loving group.

You mentioned boxed wine on the ships. That makes a lot of sense to be served in areas like the lounges where people ask for a generic "white" or "red" wine without caring about branding. Standard party fare... like the box of white z. in the fridge for the shindig at home. (Those boxes last forever;))

Archived