Caribbean Princess in a wheelchair?

holidayathesea

I am traveling the Caribbean Princess in December with a large party. Two members are in wheelchairs due to old age or a car accident. Both are able to walk short distances, but will be in the wheelchair most of the time.

Are there any tips of what we can do to make it easier for them on the ship?

Also, we're sailing the Eastern Track (Princess Cays, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten), so what excursions would be good for them to do?

(I already asked this on another portion of the site and have not found an answer, please help!!)

I am traveling the Caribbean Princess in December with a large party. Two members are in wheelchairs due to old age or a car accident. Both are able to walk short distances, but will be in the wheelchair most of the time.

Are there any tips of what we can do to make it easier for them on the ship?

Also, we're sailing the Eastern Track (Princess Cays, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten), so what excursions would be good for them to do?

(I already asked this on another portion of the site and have not found an answer, please help!!)

My son sailed on the Caribbean Princess with us in January, in his power wheelchair. He didn't go on any excursions (his choice), and he didn't have any trouble getting around the ship.

Do these folks have a handicapped room? My son's power chair would not have fit through the door of a regular room. The door on a handicapped room is wider, the room is much larger too. The bathroom door is wider, and you can roll the wheelchair right in to the shower if necessary.

One glitch is the hallways. The stewards often leave carts in the hallway, which made it impossible for him to get by. He'd have to backtrack and go another way.

Both of them are able to walk short distances, so they are not in a wheelchair full time, but we know that they need it for the cruise. Neither of them are in handicapped rooms, they have fold up wheelchairs which may make things tight, but it's manageable. Thanks for the tip about the carts in the hallways, that's terrible news, but it's something that should be adressed.

Please keep in mind that if they do have problems walking, they could have a terrible time if the seas become rough. In a non-accesible stateroom they will not have the added benefits of bars in the bathroom or a seat in the shower. During any type of rough seas, these could be a major problem for someone that has mobility problems.

Archived