Sky safari zip line...am i crazy

ritraveler

Hi.....I am a (almost) 55 year old women.. almost 7 year cancer survivor...would love to check off a zip line on my bucket list...my daughter has done a couple and loves it and is encouraging me to try this...I am in fairly good health...I walk at least a couple of miles a day..but I am no "gym rat"..I am not really worried about the "zipping" part..am wondering about getting up to the platforms....has anybody done this excursion and if so how tough is the climb up?....am i nuts??..my husband thinks so..:p

Go for it!! I was 60 when I did a zip line in Costa Rica. Terrible upper body strength. It was one of the best things I ever did on a cruise. The guides gave whatever help we needed on the platforms. It was a blast and I would do it again in a heartbeat

and I'm now 66.

Hi.....I am a (almost) 55 year old women.. almost 7 year cancer survivor...would love to check off a zip line on my bucket list...my daughter has done a couple and loves it and is encouraging me to try this...I am in fairly good health...I walk at least a couple of miles a day..but I am no "gym rat"..I am not really worried about the "zipping" part..am wondering about getting up to the platforms....has anybody done this excursion and if so how tough is the climb up?....am i nuts??..my husband thinks so..:p

DSCF0139.jpg

Sky Safari’s in St. Kitts offers five lines with the longest line extending 1350 feet. Reaching speeds up to 80 km (50 miles) per hour while zipping 250 feet above the forest floor of a tropical rainforest was truly an exhilarating, daring and adventurous experience! Ski Safaris advertises they have the safest cable ride system in the world and riders are brought to a stop through a modern spring-breaking system. When approaching the platform at the end of each run, this breaking system requires you to bend your knees, spread your legs apart and lean back. Unless you have physical/mobile capabilities, you should have no problem doing this.

Getting ready to break

DSCF0129.jpg

After a brief orientation and a practice run on the Monkey Trainer, we were transferred by jeep further up the bumpy hillside to get to the other lines.

Climbing platforms from one zip to the next is not an issue. Except for the last line (The River Rocker) there are no platforms to climb.

The platform at the last line--the only platform you need to climb. If you can walk up a flight of stairs--you can do this!

IMG_0643.jpg

When we did this zipline, it was relatively new and we were able to book this independently. Now you can only book Sky Safari’s through your cruise line.

Overall we had a great time! Do I think you’re crazy to want to do this? Not at all. This is definitely a rewarding experience you can scratch off your bucket list--and you do not even need to be a "gym rat" to enjoy it. Actually there is not even that much walking from one zip to the next. Other than a short walk from the 4th to the 5th line, where one zip ends the start of the next zip is right there.

This was my first time ziplining and was certainly not my last. We have also zipped in St. Lucia and Roatan and because of the length of lines and speed, I still think Sky Safari’s was my favorite.

We thoroughly enjoyed our ziplining excursion with Sky Safaris and would definitely recommend it--and wearing gloves is not required, making your hands free for taking photos too!

For a more detailed description and to see additional photos of our zipline adventure, please check out my review by clicking on the link below and read posts #154 - #156.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1038334&page=8

I have also put together a youtube video of our zipline excursion.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

Enjoy your time in St. Kitts and if you choose to "fly" on Sky Safari's you are sure to have a blast!

Thanks for the encouragement Dianeksfun!!..sounds like you enjoyed it!!

A BIG Thanks! also to DZ63...you provided great info and really helped me make my decision to "go for it"..it's so great to have this forum to get such great information!!...Can't wait to go now....:)

HAPPY TRAVELS!

TERRI

Thanks for the encouragement Dianeksfun!!..sounds like you enjoyed it!!

A BIG Thanks! also to DZ63...you provided great info and really helped me make my decision to "go for it"..it's so great to have this forum to get such great information!!...Can't wait to go now....:)

HAPPY TRAVELS!

TERRI

Your so very welcome! I'm glad I could help. When you come back from your ziplining adventure, be sure to post your experience. I would love to hear your take on it.

Thanks for the info on this! The YouTube video was great! It sounds like it was worth the money? How far a ride from the port to Sky Safari?

I do not remember the drive from the port to Sky Safari's being that long. I am guessing it was between 10-15 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the others that have posted. I am 60 and I have done this zip line excursion twice! It's great fun. You also go to the Botanical Garden and the Carribe Batik Factory and get a little history of the island on the way to the zip line place, if it is the same tour we have taken. Have a great time!

dz63, thanks for your pictures and video link. Wonderful! I think you have posted your zip line in St. Lucia? I am considering ziplining for the first time. I was going to do it in St. Lucia but now you have me thinking about St. Kitts. Now, I don't know which location to do it. I don't think I want to set two excursions up since it's my first time.

dz63, thanks for your pictures and video link. Wonderful! I think you have posted your zip line in St. Lucia? I am considering ziplining for the first time. I was going to do it in St. Lucia but now you have me thinking about St. Kitts. Now, I don't know which location to do it. I don't think I want to set two excursions up since it's my first time.

Yes, I did post our experience with the TreeTop Adventure Park zipline in the St. Lucia forum!

When we cruised in 2009, we debated whether we should do the zipline in St. Lucia or in St. Kitts. Since this was our first time visiting St. Lucia, I really did not want to miss out seeing the Pitons or visiting Jalousie Beach, so we choose to do the zipline in St. Kitts. Fortunately, we were able to vacation in St. Lucia in 2011, so we were able to also experience the TreeTop Adventure zipline.

Here are the main differences between the TreeTop Adventure in St. Lucia and Sky Safaris in St. Kitts.

# of Lines at TreeTop Adventure: 12

#of Lines at Sky Safaris: 5

Breaking system at TreeTop Adventure: you are required to wear gloves and pull down on the line to break.

Breaking system at Sky Safaris: uses a modern spring system which absorbs your impact. This requires you to bend your knees, spread your legs apart and lean back just before hitting the springs at the end of the line. No gloves are required allowing your hands to be free for taking photos!

Whereas the zipline in St. Lucia zipped us through the rainforest, the zipline in St. Kitts zipped us over the rainforest canopy--taking us to heights 250 feet off the forest floor! The zipline at TreeTop Adventure takes you to heights only 65 feet off the forest floor. The longest zipline in St. Kitts is 1350 feet in comparison to the longest line being 800 feet in St. Lucia. Also the zipline in St. Lucia had many platforms to climb and the zips were located further apart. This was not an issue at all at Sky Safaris.

Both the zipline in St. Lucia and St. Kitts offered us an amazing and thrilling experience. However I liked the breaking system in St. Kitts better and this one reached faster speeds than the one in St. Lucia.

Whichever zipline you choose you will still have a blast!

Yes, I did post our experience with the TreeTop Adventure Park zipline in the St. Lucia forum!

When we cruised in 2009, we debated whether we should do the zipline in St. Lucia or in St. Kitts. Since this was our first time visiting St. Lucia, I really did not want to miss out seeing the Pitons or visiting Jalousie Beach, so we choose to do the zipline in St. Kitts. Fortunately, we were able to vacation in St. Lucia in 2011, so we were able to also experience the TreeTop Adventure zipline.

Here are the main differences between the TreeTop Adventure in St. Lucia and Sky Safaris in St. Kitts.

# of Lines at TreeTop Adventure: 12

#of Lines at Sky Safaris: 5

Breaking system at TreeTop Adventure: you are required to wear gloves and pull down on the line to break.

Breaking system at Sky Safaris: uses a modern spring system which absorbs your impact. This requires you to bend your knees, spread your legs apart and lean back just before hitting the springs at the end of the line. No gloves are required allowing your hands to be free for taking photos!

Whereas the zipline in St. Lucia zipped us through the rainforest, the zipline in St. Kitts zipped us over the rainforest canopy--taking us to heights 250 feet off the forest floor! The zipline at TreeTop Adventure takes you to heights only 65 feet off the forest floor. The longest zipline in St. Kitts is 1350 feet in comparison to the longest line being 800 feet in St. Lucia. Also the zipline in St. Lucia had many platforms to climb and the zips were located further apart. This was not an issue at all at Sky Safaris.

Both the zipline in St. Lucia and St. Kitts offered us an amazing and thrilling experience. However I liked the breaking system in St. Kitts better and this one reached faster speeds than the one in St. Lucia.

Whichever zipline you choose you will still have a blast!

Thank you so much for the detailed description. Wow, I have a lot to think about. I think I am leaning more towards St. Kitts. I really appreciate your response. THANK YOU!

I hope you go for it! It looks like a lot of fun and with the detailed description, it doesn't seem so hard. I was worried about upper body strength also. Have fun on your cruise. The Equinox was the first Celebrity ship I sailed on and it was just beautiful!!!! (Also, Sorry for asking questions on your thread. :) )

Hi Ritraveler. Just in case you want to join our roll call, we have a lively bunch here. We're planning a sail away get together and have 120+ signed up for the Meet & Greet. Also slot pull and maybe cabin crawl.

Now back to ziplining!

• 2 weeks later...

Do it! It was very easy in st kitts. I did it here in Las Vegas and they are much more easy going in st kitts. Less rules and very easy to take photos and videos. My husband had never done it before and flipped upside down on purpose while doing it. He figured if the girl ahead of him could, he could as well.

What's the price per person? And easiest way to book in advance?

When we zipped with Sky Safaris, we were able to book through an independent tour operator, however this has now changed. Sky Safaris now has a contractual agreement with most cruise lines, so they will only accept bookings made through the cruise line booking system. You can check out this link on Sky Safaris website to see the list of cruise lines under this agreement.

http://www.skysafaristkitts.com/booknow.html

If your ship is listed here, you will need to check your cruise lines shore excursions to get pricing and more information.

Hi..we booked through Celebrity $79 pp...we will be there in a couple of weeks ...I have heard if you are visiting by way of ship you must book through the cruiseline...

check out their website : http://www.skysafaristkitts.com/

I will report back!!

Thanks everyone for all of your input and encouragement..:)

Terri

• 1 month later...

Hi...just wanted to say that I did my first zipline and it was awesome!!...I was surprised that I was not nervous at all and had a ball!...I did it with my daughter and nephew (27 and 23) and we all really enjoyed it...I would do it again if I ever have the chance and would encourage anyone thinking about it to go for it....there were people of all different ages and levels of fitness and everyone seemed to enjoy it.. thanks again to everyone for the info and encouragment!!..:)

Archived