Beach with an 18 month old

Dave08

We are going to St. Thomas in December 2013 and we will have our 18 month old with us. Which beach would everyone recommend for a child that age?

Also, I am fairly certain any beach we go to will require a cab ride. What are the rules in regards to car seats? Take one or not take one?

Sapphire would be a good choice - quiet, lots of available shade and beautiful view of St. John. It's a short cab ride from the port.

As for the car seat, you could take the $2 dollar bus and hold the child in lieu of a cab.

Sapphire would be a good choice - quiet, lots of available shade and beautiful view of St. John. It's a short cab ride from the port.

As for the car seat, you could take the $2 dollar bus and hold the child in lieu of a cab.

Thanks for the reply. I thought I read somewhere that the buses are very unreliable to get to and from the beaches? Has anyone heard that?

It's the terminology that is the problem -

The primary mode of transport are the safari taxis and van taxis and these are excellent. The safari taxis hold between 8 and 25 ppl and are like those on other islands. There is a cover and sides with no windows.

There is a $2 so-called "bus" that some folks look for, this can be very unreliable and waste precious time. Just hop a taxi with others going your way and carry your chile. You can bring a stroller or other item, they often have room on the back.

We love Sapphire and normally recommend that beach. But I would recommend heading to Magens Bay with an 18 month young child, the water is much calmer and it's a large bay with ample food and drink and restroom facilities. Also picnic tables and shaded areas if you can get there early. There is a $4pp entry fee for adults though. Sapphire has restrooms and food and drink options, but Magens has the restrooms in different locations along the beach if that's important. If not then by all means, consider Sapphire for your day.

Sapphire or Magens will be $18 - 20pp roundtrip by taxi for each adult, there are no posted discounts for kids but I can't imagine them charging you much for the toddler.

It's the terminology that is the problem -

The primary mode of transport are the safari taxis and van taxis and these are excellent. The safari taxis hold between 8 and 25 ppl and are like those on other islands. There is a cover and sides with no windows.

There is a $2 so-called "bus" that some folks look for, this can be very unreliable and waste precious time. Just hop a taxi with others going your way and carry your chile. You can bring a stroller or other item, they often have room on the back.

We love Sapphire and normally recommend that beach. But I would recommend heading to Magens Bay with an 18 month young child, the water is much calmer and it's a large bay with ample food and drink and restroom facilities. Also picnic tables and shaded areas if you can get there early. There is a $4pp entry fee for adults though. Sapphire has restrooms and food and drink options, but Magens has the restrooms in different locations along the beach if that's important. If not then by all means, consider Sapphire for your day.

Sapphire or Magens will be $18 - 20pp roundtrip by taxi for each adult, there are no posted discounts for kids but I can't imagine them charging you much for the toddler.

Thanks so much for the response. I had been leaning towards Sapphire based on other info I had read and I had also considered Magen's. Its going to be a tough choice. Is it about the same distance to both from the port?

From Havensight a similar drive or close. We prefer Sapphire, we visited Magens again while staying at the Sapphire condo resort a few weeks ago, Magens is pretty and very calm, but just not interesting to us. Sapphire just has the island views and still has nice sand and beautiful water. And as Nole said there is alot of shade along the water from seagrape trees. You definitely won't be disappointed with Sapphire!

Archived