What to do in Anchorage?

Fat Bottom Gurl

If there is still time I'd start off by suggesting you find a different hotel. That place isn't that nice or clean.

Hmmm - well, we certainly have a lot of time to look for accommodations since we are not cruising until September.

I just don't want to pay 200 plus for a room for one night. We are looking for something not more than 150 per night and has an airport shuttle and store our luggage while we do some sightseeing before boarding the ship. The remainder of our party won't be getting in until the actual cruise day around 2 pm, and we won't be boarding until closer to 4 pm.

So, we have practically 24 hours to do some touring.

Fat Bottom Gurl: While we live in Fairbanks we fly down to Anchorage on a regular basis. In fact, my husband spent one to two days in Anchorage each week for a number of years. I would also suggest that you re-consider the Puffin Inn. If you find the Captain Cook too pricey, consider the downtown Marriott, downtown Hilton or even the Voyager Hotel (which has been re-named recently).

Cruise831: From the Captain Cook you can easily walk to the Anchorage Museum. Also consider taking either a shuttle or taxi to the Alaska Native Heritage Center.

SpringHill Suites Anchorage University Lake

I used points, so not sure how much the cost was, but they had a free airport shuttle and was a nice hotel - especially if you have a family. Our room had two double beds, plus a couch that pulled out to a sofa bed, and a nice indoor pool

I'd suggest the shuttle to the cultural center. It was very interesting and enjoyable.

If you have the money, it's also a good place to do a heli ride out to and land on a glacier. The day we were supposed to go was very overcast so we called the company and they put us on with the pilot. He said we could go but it wouldn't be much fun so why not wait and see what the weather did.

We were at the cultural center when the weather cleared. We called from there and they told us to call as soon as we got back to our hotel. We called when we got back. They picked us up and we had a really great time. As it worked out, it was only the pilot, DW and I.

We are arriving around 3pm into Anchorage in July. My hubby would love to fish and I found this place Bait Shack that will rent the equipment and get you a license. They are on Ship Creek, I think. Any advise on this? It looks like a mile from our hotel (Captain) so we could walk to it.

Archived