Roll Call Radiance of the Seas 1/8/06

RobNC2001

My partner and I have booked the Radiance of the Seas Western Caribbean cruise departing Miami on 1/8/06. Anyone else? Also, anyone have any good suggestions on places to stay in Miami pre-cruise? Is South Beach close enough to make that a viable option?

RobNC2001,

I was looking over the CC boards and saw you were from NC and wanted to say hello. From NC here too.Trying to become a first time cruiser here. Can I ask if you use a TA from the Winston-Salem area?? If so which one do you use??How did you choose RCCL?? Been looking at Celebrity and Princess here for our first cruise. Good luck with your cruise. Just saying hello to a fellow NC guy.

Dan and Miguel

PS= Kernersville here

I actually use a travel agent out of Canada. 1/2 of a lesbian couple that John and I have cruised with before. We really love Heather and we like the same sorts of things so I trust her judgment. I'd be happy to send you her e-mail and phone number if you contact me (hunterr@triad.rr.com). These days, with the internet and phone, you don't really need a "local" travel agent. Also, for some things, she can charge us in Canadian Dollars and we get the benefit of the exchange rate.

As for choosing RCI, we've gone on cruises with Celebrity (Constellation in 2004) and Princess (Golden in 2003). We liked the food on Celebrity but hated the formality (we're both lawyers and we get enough formality in our every day lives -- its the last thing we want on a vacation). We also found the passengers in general to be a bit snobby (kinda nouveau rich) and the cruise as a whole to be boring (o.k. if you want to go to a piano recital in the afternoon and listen to chamber music at night). Finally, the Cruise Director on our ship refused to schedule a Friends of Dorothy party, after several gay and lesbian passengers politely requested it. That, in and of itself, made me sufficiently mad that it will be a long, long time before I ever do another Celebrity cruise. That was just our experience, however, and I know many gay and lesbian cruisers who love Celebrity.

We like Princess. The food is generally good and the ships, particularly the larger, newer ones are beautiful and fun. The passengers on Princess are generally pretty diverse, in terms of age and income (though generally a bit older than either Celebrity and RCI) When we sailed with Princess in 2003 we had no problem getting a Friends of Dorothy party, in fact there was even a member of the Cruise Director's staff present to host and they provided the Champagne. That alone gives them high marks in my book! I would gladly go on a Princess cruise again.

Overall, however, we really like RCI. The food is still very good (truly exceptional in the specialty restaurants like Chops and Portofinos) and, for us, there is the right mix of fun, formality (on formal nights and in the spc. restaurants) and activity. The newer ships in particular are really gorgeous and full of fun things to do (like the ice skating rink on Voyager class and the rock climbing wall on all their ships). My partner and I are both still relatively young and we enjoy staying very active. We probably wouldn't like the total party atmosphere on Carnival but we're not yet ready to sit and listen to the harpist on Celebrity. RCI is somewhere in between. There is still going to be a good rockin party when you want it, but you can also find those elegant, secluded spaces for a romantic drink.

Hope that helps. Would be happy to talk more over the phone or in person. Just let me know. Good luck with cruise shopping. No matter what line you decide to go with, its a great way to vacation.

...Rob

RobNC2001

Thanks for the very insightful response. I was very surprised by the tone of your response. Thanks for the offer to answer my questions. Nice to know someone close by to help get started. I can contact you by email. That was a very nice jester BTW Rob. Since you two have cruised before, your insight would be very helpful.

I was looking at a cruise vacation probably next yr to celebrate our 20yrs together. He doesnt know that yet. Was going to treat him. He has been watching me do the CC thing as a reg vacation option. A friend at work went on a Princess cruise and loved it. Been alittle wary about 2 gay guys on a main stream cruise but after reading the posts from CC I am sure we could have a great vacation. Suprised by your Celebrity experience.!! Most on the CC boards rave about Celebrity.

I will be in contact soon. I may let you respond to this first. You sure it is ok to email you and ask questions?? We are just regular guys here Rob. Worked hard and built a house together and been here in Kville for about 6yrs. You both are lawyers?? If I need legal advise you 2 could do that?

Again thanks Rob for the offer to answer my questions and to help.Sounds like you you must be a very nice guy. Glad I saw your thread and responded.

Dan and Miguel

Absolutely. Feel free to e-mail me and I will give you my other contact information at that time. Didn't mean to turn you off on Celebrity. Just wanted to explain why I it just doesn't seem to fit us. Plenty of gays and lesbians on this board and others I know personally absolutely love it. No matter which line you choose, you will have a great vacation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rob...I'm just wondering if I met you on the Mariner this past January. I was on that sailing and probably on these board pre-cruise at that point. Did you spend any time in the gym, saun, steam area of the ship? That seems to be a place I have a lot of conversations. Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks. Oh, by the way, I live in FL on the Gulf Coast South of Tampa.

• 1 month later...

Hey Island 04. Geez, we thought we were the only gay people on the Mariner! I don't believe we met but do wish that we had. I've never seen such a straight cruise! Lots of hot boys though! Our party consisted of myself, my partner John and a friend and we definitely enjoyed some of the eye candy. Still, would have been nice to find some additional community.

And judging from the lack of responses to this post, we may be the only gay people on the Radiance!

What are your plans for '06? As you can see, we're booked with a couple of other gay friends on the Radiance. Looking at either the new Norwegian Jewel or RCI's Freedom of the Seas for winter of '07.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys:

I'm not sailing with you but i have been on two cruises on the Radiance. It is a great ship and some very gay friendly staff. The two cruises were with Atlantis and the crew was great about having 2000 gay men on board. There is one crew member who is wonder, in Oct of this year (2005) she was staff in the Schooner Bar. She is a blast (and even the mother of my children, and twins nonthelesss). Hope you guys enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rob:

Sorry for the delay. The bar waistress that was great was in the Schooner Bar and her name was Matika. She is wonderful and a lot of fun. I hope she is still onboard. She will entertain you and she makes great drinks too. Tell her (from the father of her children) Hello if you see her.

Rob, I hope you have a great time on the Radiance. I just returned from a Christmas Cruise on the Enchantment. It was a fun time, but i like the Radiance better. Let me know how your trip goes and if you see Matika. You can email me on yahoo if you like (hartleydawg).

Thanks,

Frank

Archived