Snorkeling at Cinnamon Bay

Caribbean Beach Bum

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the snorkeling at Cinnamon Bay. In fact, i believe it is one of the most under rated snorkel spots on St. John. As you get to the beach, walk down toward the right (as you're facing the water). Find a place for your stuff more or less adjacent to the cay (island) just offshore. As you enter the water, look for a reef line that runs perpendicular to the shoreline, just a little beyond the end of the cay. Follow that out until you're even with the cay, then do a counterclockwise circumnavigation of the cay. Along the back side you may see a lot of very big tarpon.

If you're comfortable snorkeling in shallow water, there are a whole lot of smallish, cool creatures to be found on the front side of the cay if you take your time.

I'd take Cinnamon over Trunk for snorkeling every day!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just back from the Ruby Princess. We had a great time at Cinnamon Bay. The beach is indeed beautiful. Gorgeous sand, coconut trees, and views just like at Trunk. The ocean was rough that day which made for some great wave action. Snorkeling was better than at Trunk, which may not be saying a lot. I found the reef line that goes from the beach out to the island just offshore. Plenty of fish and healthy coral to see as I got closer to the island. It was pretty rough out there and that prevented me from snorkeling all around the island. It is a much bigger beach than Trunk. Despite this, I was surprised by how many people were on the beach. By noon, it was almost as crowded as Trunk gets. I don't think it was all cruise passengers as there were only 3 ships in port. It was spring break in late March so I suspect this affected the numbers. I will definitely look forward to going back to Cinnamon Bay although my wife still prefers Trunk Bay.

Archived