Waterlemon Bay

Rob & Tam

We stop in St Thomas the first week of May. Loved Trunk Bay and have no touble going back again but wondering about an alternative for nice beach/snorkeling and seeing turtles frequent Waterlemon has us interested. Has anyone been? What can we expect? I have read the short blurb on VInow, just wanting some first hand info.

Carnival Paradise 4/01 Western Caribbean

Carnival Paradise 3/02 Southern Caribbean

Coming Soon... Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Hello Bob and Tam,

I have been there numerous times. Its a good beach, great snorkeling. The swim out to the cay can be tiring if you aren't a fair-good swimmer. The current gets quite strong on the back end of the cay and on the right side - so stay on the left, snorkel with a buddy. You have to hike to the beach/cay from the road, not a bad hike - flat coast line hike. If you don't have a car you will have to take a taxi to Leinster Bay below Annaberg and then hike over. There are no facilities.

Any particular questions??

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

Thank you very much Islander. I guess I was trying to figure out an alternative spot in case there are a bunch of ships in port the day we are in St Thomas. My wife and I are mid 30's looking for a nice beach, a chance at special snorkelling and view. We absolutely loved Trunk Bay,

Is there a current that we will encounter? or just a distance that can tire you out? What are the chances of seeing turtles? large fish? a wreck?

Carnival Paradise 4/01 Western Caribbean

Carnival Paradise 3/02 Southern Caribbean

Coming Soon... Caribbean Princess 5/1/04

Hello Rob and Tam,

Alternatives to Trunk Bay... you could try Hawksnest or Cinnamon Bay. If you like hiking you could hike from Cruz Bay to Solomon then Honeymoon then Caneel Bay and then catch a taxi back to Cruz Bay from Caneel Bay - thats a great hike and three beautiful beaches, take some picnic sandwiches with you - great day!

Waterlemon; the current is always there. You swim accross a short channel between St. John and the cay. The tiring out part I suppose has to do with having to hike to get there and then swim to the cay. The left side of cay faces Waterlemon Bay while the right side faces the open ocean for the most part. Therefore as you swim around the left side toward the back you start feeling the current and thats a great indication that you should turn around and snorkel back the way you came. Always had good snorkeling when I have gone, only saw turtles once though. No very large fish and no wrecks. Lots of small fish, medium fish, starfish, nice coral.

--Islander

For more information on the Virgin Islands visit http://www.***** the best guide to St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island. Includes a Cruise Guide to the USVI (ferry info, taxi rates, beach guide, dock info, cruies ship schedule and more).

Archived