Taking excursions early in the AM

norcalgal

So we're trying to pick out excursions (NCL/POAM 7/23), and it looks like so many have you leaving the ship at 8 am. I guess we like to sleep in while on vacation! Have any of you found it difficult to get up early and get going? (the only other times we went to Hawaii, we went to Maui and we were def on "Maui time"!) We also want to make sure we eat enough dinners on board, so we don't want to be gone too late into the day. (gee - sounds like we want it all - sleep in, do excursions and eat dinner onboard!) How to balance it all?

Hi! We're the exact opposite. We can't wait to get into port and do as much as we can since we only have a limited amount of time in each one. Of course, our only cruise so far has been in Alaska and the constant daylight helps. There was more than one port day when DH jumped out of bed thinking that we had overslept only to find that it was really 3am!

I would guess that balancing all of your wishes would be fairly simple. You might have to book with independent companies that have shorter excursions leaving at different times of the day. You might have to pick excursions that pack a lot of excitement into a short amount of time (like ziplines or helicopter rides). OR, you could choose excursions where you could continue to sleep in. For example, I've read about some snorkeling excursions where it takes well over an hour to get to the destination so you could potentially find a nice lounge chair and take a pre-mid-morning nap. ;)

We do agree with you on wanting to return to the ship for most dinners (lunch we could care less about), but we'll probably skip one dinner to go to a luau.

Anyway, have a great time on your vacation! I'm sure you'll manage just fine!

When we sail POAloha last year we were up early and off every morning. We had a fantastic time and a very active trip. By the time we had gone to dinner and had a few drinks in the evening, we were pretty tired and didn't go to many shows onboard.

We had a great time though and I wouldn't have changed a thing! Next year on POAm we've decided to post cruise for a week on Oahu in a North Shore beach house for a., little "recovery" time:).

We found getting up early was pretty easy. Since Hawaii does not change to Daylight Savings Time, the sun came up around 6 or so. Also, with the time difference we were prone to waking up earlier anyway.

Also, if you are thinking about water type excursions (snorkeling, sailing etc.), the sea is a little smoother during the morning hours normally. It can get a little rough in the afternoons.

So, AM excursions weren't so bad.

Archived