stupid question from a 1st timer

edinburghgirl

we are going on the paul gauguin and have decided to have our 1st ever try at scuba but have a couple of stupid questions.1st my husband has a perforated ear drum can he still do scuba.

2nd would the introductuction to scuba session onboard qualify us to do the beginners dives or would we be better to do something precruise-we have 2 full days in papeete.any advice to maximise our experience would be much appreciated

eg...your husband might want to check with his doctor or an ENT to see how much damage has been done to his ear and if it's fully healed. If it's not, he won't want to dive as the pressure on his eardrum is the hardest within the first 33 feet down and could leave some lasting damage if it's not already healed.

Your second question sounds like you're referring to a "resort course" type of SCUBA class. Usually when you complete such classes, you're allowed to dive up to 35 feet down with a dive master only. If you know you want to dive, then you'll want to take the full open water (OW) course before you arrive to Papeete so that you can make full dives. In order to take such OW courses, your husband (and you) have to have medical paperwork signed off by a doctor, which will be a perfect time for your husband to have his ear checked out!!

I agree with JB that your husband should be checked by a doctor on that issue. I also agree if you should get certified open water by a PADI or NAUI. Much better training and your options are much greater to dive other places in the world.

First of all, it isn't a stupid question at all. It shows that you think ahead and anticipate any potential problems.

I'm not a doctor, but I think the perforated eardrum would exclude your DH from diving, so it would definitely be a good idea to check with a doctor who is familiar with dive medicine. http://diversalertnetwork.org/ would be good online resource for finding a dive doctor and for answering other questions.

BTW, I've been to your fair city. It is quite lovely there in August. My Dad was born near there in Kilberny, which I am sure I have spelled incorrectly.

I too qualify my comments with the fact that I am no doctor, though I did just read about this topic. If the perforated ear drumb is not totally healed you cannot dive. The increased pressure under water would damage the inner error and potentialy you could lose your hearing all together in that ear. I think I read about this somewhere here https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/index.asp

DAN is a good place to go to find information and they are doctors who specialize in diving medicine. Here is their squib on your issue:

Diving Medicine FAQs

Tympanic Membrane Rupture (Perforated Ear Drum)

Q: Is it safe to dive with a perforated tympanic membrane?

A: A perforated tympanic membrane (ear drum) can occur from diving as well as from non-diving causes. Most traumatic perforations heal spontaneously. Following an appropriate time after they have healed, you can return to diving if your physician feels the healing is solid and there is no evidence of Eustachian tube problems. This usually takes about two months after it is healed.

If the perforation does not heal, then an ear surgeon can repair the damage. After healing has taken place, the same rules about returning to diving above apply. It is important to check for chronic nose and sinus problems if there is no healing.

Chronic perforations that do not heal are a contraindication to diving. Some have advocated the use of ear plugs for these individuals, but if there is any water leakage, it could cause a severe infection.

For more, go to https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/index.asp

If you are going to dive, I would take my classes and work at home and get certified. That way if your husband can't dive, you can plan around your diving, or cancel the diving all together.

Take it from someone who has tinnitus (not from diving), you would not enjoy the ringing and whistling in your ears that you could get from a serious ear injury the REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Archived