trains verses ship transfer

nikita606

We will be visiting the Med on the Nieuw Amsterdam this summer, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. I am not afraid to travel independently, and I like the freedom. However, I find that when I take trains away from the port I have trouble enjoying my time because I'm constantly thinking about making the return connections. For this reason I am considering the ship's transport to Rome and possibly Florence even though it costs about $105 per person. Anyone else have this trouble, or am I the only worrywort.

Plenty of people have the same feeling that you do, so you are far from alone. If it's really that much of a worry, then don't feel you have to go it alone, at least not when on a cruise.

I think there is a comfort level that comes with some experience. Most of the time, things don't go wrong. Ships really do an "oversell" on how unsafe it is to do anything other than a ship tour (of course, because they make more money off you!)

Ideally we all have to balance the pros and cons and make the right choice for us -- not the choice someone else thinks is best.

I will only add that money is not the only reason why I like to use public transportation on my own versus the ship transportation -- for me, it is time. MANY times I've done the calculations and found I can have upwards of an hour MORE in some ports just by getting on a train that leaves earlier than the ships' buses (or their scheduled train). That's a lot when you may only have 6-7 hours -- it's like getting 15% more time.

To me, that's priceless. For others, not so much.

With four people in your group by the time you pay around $105 pp it may be more cost effective to arrange your own tour with one of the recommended tour companys you'll find highly recommended on this site. That way you'll save yourself the stress of making it back to the boat. Also, I highly recommend you check in with your roll call to see if anyone else if forming up tours to reduce costs.

Archived