Taking a minor child, who is not mine on a CTN

Mandy923

I will be bringing my daughter's best friend (age 16) on a Cruise to Nowhere, out of our home port, on the Carnival Glory. Her parents are divorced.

Do I just need a notarized letter from each parent? Or will more be needed for her to board with me?

She doesn't have a Driver's License yet- can she bring her student ID and Birth Certificate?

We won't be leaving the country- just cruising to "Nowhere". Although maybe we will be in international waters? I don't really know. We are leaving from Norfolk in May.

THanks for any input!

I think that once they turn 16, Carnival requires a state-issued ID. If she does not have (or cannot get) a driver's license, the state should have some other form of ID card that would be acceptable to Carnival. Not sure on that, so I could be wrong.

Edit: The state-issued ID requirement might start at 18, too, I'm not sure. I do know there comes a point where Carnival requires a photo ID.

you should be fine with a notarized letter from both parents and her birth cert & school ID. I took my ex-husbands daughter on a carnival cruise and just took a notarized letter from both parents and a birth cert. she didn't even have a photo ID, but she was only 8 at the time. They never even asked for the letters, although I'd rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.

That's actually a very good question.

I did not see anything about this in the Contract of Carriage and according to the FAQs on the Carnival website, "A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over." However, that statement is under the section regarding "What is the required travel documentation for all ports?" and on a cruise to nowhere, you are not visiting any ports other than the one in the United States to which you are leaving/arriving (Norfolk, in this case). So, arguably, the child would not need anything more than she would need to fly within the United States and, in that case, a school ID would suffice.

So, I see 3 options:

1. Contact Carnival Cruises and ask them to provide you with written documentation which answers your question.

2. Have the student go to the Virginia DMV (assuming you are from Virginia) to obtain an Identification Card. (See the DMV website for information.)

3. Go with the birth certificate and student ID and hope they accept it.

As for permission from the parents, a notarized statement from each of her divorced parents is exactly what you need. And it would be a good idea for them to include a statement allowing you to authorize medical treatment for their daughter, if necessary.

Archived