Came across ebates.com by accident. After exploring the site, it seems too good to be true for anyone who shops regularly on the net. Anyone have any experince with this website?

(For those who don't know, the premise is that you sign up w/ ebates. When you want to shop online, you go to the ebates site and link to your favorite retailers through ebates, and then make your purchase. If you do this, you get X% Cashback (varies by retailer) deposited into a PayPal account, which pays out 4X/year. You also get "coupon codes" and special promos. There are tons of big name retailers on it: Travelocity, Expedia, Cruiseonly, Gap, American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, Circuit City, Eddie Bauer, Ashford.com, Target, etc. )

I have used ebates for my occasional online shopping. They are extremely reputable with regard to sending rebate checks within their specified timetable. With regard to their affiliation with the travel sites, I will share my thoughts for your consideration. Frequently, sites like Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz are advertising higher cruise prices than the traditional cruise agencies. Even with the ebates discount, you will pay the same price if not a higher one than you would booking in a more conventional way. I always check prices with the cruise line first and then compare with some online and telephone agents. I am always amazed at how for exactly the same reservation there can be hundreds of dollars in the variation of the quotes I receive. I then take the lowest quote(try to get it by email or fax so you can share it with other agents) and see if I can find yet another agent to beat the price. Next, check your prices thoroughly from several sources ( make sure the taxes and port charges are included; ask about insurance if you wish to take it) and then make a decision as to how to make your reservations. Finally, I always inquire as to what the policy is as far as price protection if the cruise line reduces the prices after reservations are made. A reputable agent will find a way to pass along the savings to a client. I hope you find this helpful.

thnaks, talkrx. i am wary of booking through travel sites like expedia, etc., too. they sometimes have good prices, or incentives like "free" netflix memberships or upgrades, but there is that service fee they charge, and their prices aren't any lower than anyone else's. in the past i have booked through a land based TA and one online TA, and had great service/prices through both. I was more interested in learning about this ebates for my other, non-travel, online shopping. I appreciate your response! :)

I have used eBates for a quite a bit of my online shopping, and have received two or three checks totalling over $50.00. It's not enough to supplement your income, but it is nice to know that you're being rewarded for purchasing things you would anyway. :)

Archived