Ship Maintenance Schedule

cruzn buckeye

As someone who is scheduled to be on Legend on May 4th you are not easing my anxiety in the least.

Sorry, I was just using her as an example. Pick any ship and insert there name.

Are you sure this is correct? Royal Caribbean only drydocks their ships every 5 years. If what you are saying is correct, do you know how they are able to do a drydock only every 5 years?

Im looking for the actual verbage. If it is true that RCL is only going once every 5 years, I honestly dont know how they are getting around it, unless there was a rule change somewhere.

Are you sure this is correct? Royal Caribbean only drydocks their ships every 5 years. If what you are saying is correct, do you know how they are able to do a drydock only every 5 years?

Found the verbage.

Basically there was a recent SOLAS/IMO/MSC change. What they are saying is that with advancements in hull protection, building procedures etc, AND advancements in underwater inspections, that they are willing to give the cruiselines a little slack in drydocks, with very specific conditons.

First, a ship must be no older then 15 years of age. Ships such as the Oasis class, the Disney Dream class, the Carnival Dream class, will all fall into this category. Ships such as the Disney Magic class, the Soverign class, and the Carnival Fantasy class will not.

Next, is that the line has to ask for permission to forgo the drydock. They have to supply statements from several people including the ships master, that to the best of their knowledge, the ship has not grounded, or had any other significant hull issues.

Those are just the highlights. In the end, its basically a request by the line, and then someone in MSC will say yes or no.

Found the verbage.

Basically there was a recent SOLAS/IMO/MSC change. What they are saying is that with advancements in hull protection, building procedures etc, AND advancements in underwater inspections, that they are willing to give the cruiselines a little slack in drydocks, with very specific conditons.

First, a ship must be no older then 15 years of age. Ships such as the Oasis class, the Disney Dream class, the Carnival Dream class, will all fall into this category. Ships such as the Disney Magic class, the Soverign class, and the Carnival Fantasy class will not.

Next, is that the line has to ask for permission to forgo the drydock. They have to supply statements from several people including the ships master, that to the best of their knowledge, the ship has not grounded, or had any other significant hull issues.

Those are just the highlights. In the end, its basically a request by the line, and then someone in MSC will say yes or no.

Ok. Thanks for looking this up!!

As someone who is scheduled to be on Legend on May 4th you are not easing my anxiety in the least.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Theyve had a few days to look at the issue, and it may take some time to get the spares that are needed to fix the pod, if its not done already. Its extremely rare that a ship has to come out of the water unexpectedly for a pod replacement, and its not done lightly. First, they have to find a replacement pod,(lines usually have at least 1 if not more spare pods being stored. Pods typically have a 5 year service life from what I understand and are desigend to be swapped out for a rebuild during a normal drydock) and a yard that can handle the swap out. Getting a pod to a yard takes several weeks at least, not counting the time to find a yard that has space.

Archived