Clothing

luv2bcruzng

Cruising on Avalon on the Danube in mid-May. I have only been on large cruise ships and know the dress code there very well. What about river cruising? Do people change their clothes for dinner or wear what they wore during the day? To sightsee during the day, I assume jeans and casual slacks will be fine but can they also be worn to dinner? Just beginning to think about packing. Any hints???

Thanks.

I have been on two river cruises, not on Avalon, and basically you can wear whatever you want for dinner. Some folks wear the same clothes they had on during the day but I would say for the most part, folks change for dinner. Dress is casual but some men do wear jackets especially at the Captain's dinner or specialty dinner. Dress is more country club casual for the nights at the Opera or Theatre in Vienna. Women generally wear skirts, slacks with a nice top/blouse. I have found the dining rooms on the chilly side so I always have a sweater, shawl or jacket. Jeans are fine during the day for shore excusions. Some folks wear them to dinner as well. Nobody really cares what you wear. Whatever is comfortable for you. You do not see a lot of tshirts and jean type clothes at dinner, but nice jeans and a nice top or golf shirt would not be out of place. Plan on packing layers in May. Weather might be mild during the day but it will cool down in the evening or in higher altitudes if you are doing shore excursions. Some of the castles are unheated so it can be chilly there during the tour. These are just my observations.

Cruising on Avalon on the Danube in mid-May. I have only been on large cruise ships and know the dress code there very well. What about river cruising? Do people change their clothes for dinner or wear what they wore during the day? To sightsee during the day, I assume jeans and casual slacks will be fine but can they also be worn to dinner? Just beginning to think about packing. Any hints???

Thanks.

We were on Avalon in August...dress was casual, the majority of people changed for dinner..but not everyone... shorts were definitely not allowed in the dining room of a night. I took a dress with a couple of scarves...and black pants and a couple of tops..never felt out of place. Only a couple of men wore a jacket on the 2 special occasion meals, women always looked nice but never over dressed.

Shorts, jeans , capri pants were all common dress on the daily excursions. Hope this was helpful.

Even the Opera night in Vienna, our CD asked men to leave jackets behind, if they had been planning to take them..she said it was very warm in the concert hall/room and there wasnt anywhere to store the extra clothes.

We did travel in summer so that may be a little different to when you sail.

Deb

Archived