Black Forest Tour and other optional Tours

sadiemay

To those of you starting in Basel:

We loved Basel. It is a lovely little city filled with many nice museums. They now have international art shows there every year. The hotels offer free tickets for the wonderful electric buses to get around. Switzerland is very expensive. Most places only took Swiss Francs, so we used our credit card since we were only in Switzerland for several days. We even used our credit card in Starbucks. My husband said he had the most expensive iced tea drink ever. I remember it being about $18US for both drinks. If your river cruise company doesn't offer a city tour, ask the concierge at the desk for a map and explore on your own. There are beautiful sights from the top of the hilly area of Basel. We went to the Manor Department store for lunch. There is a nice size fresh food court like you find at other department stores in Europe. We had sandwiches made fresh there as well as fresh fruit and cheese. Everything is very expensive in Basel -- a pizza and two beers was over $35.00 U.S. My husband did find the Bally store which was having a sale and he bought two pairs of shoes for less then you would find in the USA. Go to tripadvisor.com and look at photos of Basel.

Sheila

Archived