How is accessibility on Carnival Spirit??

Hi,

as Carnival Spirit is relatively new for us Aussie cruisers, I was hoping someone could give some advice on how she is for wheelchair accessibility? We usually cruise RCCL and love it but would also like to try other cruise lines. As we are 2 adults and 2 young kids we have to book accessible JS's on RCCL - does anyone have any experience with accessible cabins that would sleep 4 on Carnival Spirit?

As DH is a full time electric wheelchair user we are especially keen to hear how the accessible cabins are as well as accessibility of the rest of the ship.

Thanks for your help :)

I found the Pride a sister ship to the Spirit very accessible though the cabin door did not have a push button opener. I have sailed her 2x in the last 15 months. I'd call Carnival's Special Needs department and check on how many cabins they have that might sleep 4.

The public bathrooms on this ship are NOT for the handicapped. Every time my mom had to go to the bathroom she had to got back to her cabin. We tried to get her into a public bathroom that said it was handicapped accessible. It took 3 to help. There were two heavy doors to get in and couldn't maunouver.

In a word...terrible. :( We sailed the Spirit in 2011. Could not roll my scooter over the door jams to get out onto the deck. Our room for two was OK but not a lot of extra room. Have sailed Royal Caribbean 3 times and was spoiled by their automatic door openers...Carnival has heavy doors that you have to open manually while on the scooter. We had an accessible balcony but the ramp was situated up against a wall and there was no way to scoot out there. In fact the ramp was so steep it was hard to even walk out there.

I told my TA about my complaints and she said Carnival only does the minimum to comply with ADA.

I'm going back to Royal Caribbean ;)

Archived