Oasis of the Seas - Teen Program

jbaz

Hi There, we are a family of three, first time cruisers, and will be sailing on the Oasis in Jan 14. My daughter will be 13. She is dying to get a run down on the teen club. What sorts of activities are organised, how late do teens in this age group stay out till, do they hold a meet and greet session on the first day etc etc.

Things I would like to know is, is it safe (bearing in mind she doesn't have any siblings or travelling buddies) and are there any fees/charges (especially later at night)?

I would like to organise a dinner one night for just my husband and I, but obviously want to know that she can be catered for happily.

Also please let me know your opinions on having her sign out of teen club and having her go back to our stateroom to go to sleep before we return.

I think I would be right to assume she won't want to be with us every waking hour of the cruise.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions.

Jbaz

I was about to post an identical thread to yours all the same questions!! only difference is my 13 yr old is a boy and we are on the Independence. Look forward to the replies :)

My son will be 13 by the time we finally make it on Oasis for the westbound transatlantic. I'm curious about the teen program as well. We have limited experience with the pre-teen program on Navigator. I am hoping he has plenty of other 13 and 14 year olds to meet and hang out with.

Dd14 has been on several cruises, but not the Oasis or Allure yet. Our experience has been that the teen programs are pretty similar on each cruise line.

The teen programs usually end around 1 or 2 a.m. :eek: But they generally don't start before noon. There are a lot of video game playing activities, dances, trivia games, basketball etc. I've never come across a ship with fees for the teen program.

Dd usually goes the first night, makes friends, and then hangs out with one or two friends the rest of the cruise. Very little of the hanging out occurs in the teen program.

The teen program doesn't really have a sign in or out. The teens are free to come and go as they please. On each of our cruises, I have not allowed dd to be by herself outside the cabin after dinner. Just like I wouldn't allow her to be out by herself after dark at home. Dd generally doesn't spend any time by herself during the day either. If she does go to pick up a friend at the friend's cabin, she has to phone me once she's there and check in fairly frequently. We usually made plans to meet up at one of the shows. She had to be in the cabin for the night at 10 or 11 pm. Many ships will have a curfew for under-18's. The time and the presence of the curfew can vary as it depends on the captain's discretion. Often with sailings with a large number of teens, there will be a curfew. This is usually around 2 a.m.

For the poster with a boy, I also have a ds17. He usually only ventures out of the cabin to play video games and eat. ;) Royal Caribbean has the best video arcades of any ships we've been on.

ds was 16 when we went on oasis. The first night there will be a time to meet all the other teens. can find out the exact time by looking in your cruise compass ( it is the paper where they tell you what time every thing is) after the first day your teen will get thier own compass with the activities and times. you can go check out the teen lounge as soon as you get on the boat and meet one of the councilors. this is the only time adults are allowed in the teen area. Most6 kids go the first night as this is when they kind of find groups of kids they get along with. as for activities there not as may scheduled activities as for smaller kids. they will take over the ice skating rink, flowrider, rock wall and zip line as a group occaisionally throughout the week. they also do scavenger hunt and every night there is a dance in the teen disco. what i liked about oasis's teen area is it has a dance room and a nother room that has video games, computers, a sit and hang area and a large tv area. ( hint to parent the round windows that look into the lounge area are one way you can see the kids but they cant see you) They will have a prom on the last night and also a pajama party so bring appropriate pjs. The lounge/dance ends at 1 am and the kids have to go straight to the room. They dont have to sign in and out - but if you want them to do any activities like flow rider ..... you have to go to that area and sign a waver.

oh added cost would be drinks if they dont have a drink card. also they have a dj scratch academy where your teen can learn to dj. it is 3 classes about 1 hour long and they will get a free tee if they do all 3. If you trust your daughter she is fine leaving and going back to the room to sleep. make sure you have a talk with her about not going in others rooms and not going with strangers. and if a crew member wants her to go somewhere always have her insist on them taking her to the service desk first so she can verify they really are crew and she needs to go with them. There have been incedences on some ships where the crew member takes a teen girl and gets her drunk and does stuff. just a precautuion.

Just got off rhapsody with 7,8,10 and 12 year olds. The 12 yo had the best time, she loved the freedom to come and go and switch between compass and teen events. She wasn't old enough to be too cool and cynical to go to an organised event and she spent most nights in the teen club. The 10 yo had the hardest time, too old to enjoy adventure ocean it too young for teen events. The 7 and 8 yos loved the adventure ocean, mostly for the evening events. Your 9 yo should be young enough to enjoy it and old enough to sign themselves out.

Archived