Noordam Verandah Deck now VA category?

tacrum43

I was looking at the deck plans for my upcoming Noordam cruise, and I noticed that my cabin (booked as VF) on the Verandah deck is now listed as a VA, as is most of that deck now.

This seems misleading as these were VE and VF before, with smaller balconies than VA on other decks. Is this a real change in the categories? Are they doing this on other ships too?

I was checking prices today and called in for a re-price due to a $650 fare drop. They offered to "upgrade" me to a VD and they would keep the $650. I declined. I thought this was rather disingenuous also, assuming that my cabin is now actually considered a VA.

Link: http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=no_2&deck=m&WT.ac=pnav_Onboard_NoordamDeck

I was looking at the deck plans for my upcoming Noordam cruise, and I noticed that my cabin (booked as VF) on the Verandah deck is now listed as a VA, as is most of that deck now.

This seems misleading as these were VE and VF before, with smaller balconies than VA on other decks. Is this a real change in the categories? Are they doing this on other ships too?

There will be a massive re-categorization for all ships taking place in Mar and Apr next year, and you were looking at those plans. Note the date in the upper r.h. corner. When you sail this year there will be no VA on deck 5 except at the stern. For you, a VD is an upgrade ... and a nice one because it almost doubles the size of balcony you will have.

There was a thread talking about this ... I'll see if I can find a link for you,

For you, a VD is an upgrade ... and a nice one because it almost doubles the size of balcony you will have.

Well even so, a slightly larger balcony is not worth $650 to me. Besides, my point was more general in that the small balcony rooms are now a VA too and people on guarantees in future will get stuck with these as "upgrades". To me, being in the middle of the ship that isn't that important to warrant these as a "VA".

I would appreciate the link to the thread if you find it.

Sorry, I can't find it yet. Search doesn't seem to be working tonight.

Things are really going to be turned topsy-turvy on all of the ships IMO, but especially on the Vistas and Signatures. We've done 8 guarantees in the past, but I won't be doing any more after Mar next year for the very reason you say, getting stuck on an upgrade to a small-balcony cabin right over the life boats.

Of course that has long been the case on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam: you can today pay for a guarantee of a VA with a 6 ft balcony or a plain V (on deck 8) with a 7 ft one, and be assigned a VQ with a 4 ft balcony!! :eek:

p.s. - it looks like they've pushed the re-categorization out to May 2014 for most ships.

I agree some of these re-categorizations are making no sense to me. My beloved C on the Lower Prom deck of the Maasdam will be moved to a lower deck in May 2014. I'm flipping out. The SA we were just in for two weeks on the Westerdam will become SC. Go figure! To the OP - don't take it personal ... it's going to happen on all HAL ships in 2014. Make sure you are looking at current deck plans if you have a cruise in 2013.

thank you for posting this information, my VA stern cabin is now going to be a VB and the SY suite my friends booked is going to be a SS. Strange, decrease in stateroom classification for me and a upgrade for them..... wonder if the pricing will change also.

Will be on the Noordam January 2014. A little while back, I booked a particular cabin, which on the current deck plan is a VD category. On the new deck plan, it is a VB. Thank goodness I already had it booked so I won't have to pay more for it.

Diane

... SY suite my friends booked is going to be a SS.
That's one of the few changes that makes any sense to me ... putting the cheaper SY under the Lido and the more expensive SS under the full suites.

Archived