We just got back- a few items to share

jopete

spent a lot of time reviewing posts before the trip, so i though i would share some info--we did tour 17u with princess- 5 day land- denali and copper river then 7 day cruise- would definately reccommend the land portion first- lots of travel never really get to unpack really appreciate the cruise and relaxing after- Princess does a fantastic job of organizing people and luggage- the lodges were first class the staff wonderful- food and items expensive however- excursions at the denali lodge-we went horseback riding and my husband did the atv adventure- he was the only one at 600am so he had a ball-trip into denali for natural history tour was rather boring saw only sheep far away on a hill, our time was in the afternoon and time could not be changed nor could we change to the longer tour-copper river we went on a raft float trip great guide saw lots of eagles- the port excursions we enjoyed--- in skagaway we did the white pass railroad- neat; In juneau we did the pilots choice helicopter ride and booked directly with temsco and saved $50 per person- i don't like to fly but this was the highlight!!!!! walked on 2 glaciers words can't describe the majestic beauty of the land--in ketchikan we walked to the totem pole museum and went to the eagle rescue/ salmon hatchery- very informative- we were too early for the salmon running

as mentioned many times- dress in layers, bring a good pair of binoculars, bug spray, and camera with lots of film or a large digital card ... hotels and ship have laundry facilities if you choose to do wash---

you can buy beer/wine on shore and bring back on ship- any liquor bought is given to you the day before disembarkation--alaskan beer was promoted heavily on the ship and then they ran out at most bars 2 days before the cruise ended!!!! Drinks were expensive and weak!!

we had personal choice dining which was great- chose when to eat and the size table we wanted each night-

cruise staff at times were aggravating trying to take your picture when we were watching the glacier calve, promoting their soda specials, wine specials, steak hous etc......but i guess that's the way it goes

it was an incredible journey- since it was our first time to alaska we chose the tour--would go back again and spend more time on land exploring by ourselves.....

thanks to all for the advice i gathered from this site

Thanks for the news and review. What ship?

Denali, did you go to Fish Creek (6 hours) or longer? We are going to do the land portion on our own before boarding the Dawn. Suggestions?

They went on the Natural History tour, only to mile 17, Fish Creek is mile 63, farther is better here. :)

I would recommend like BQ said......go as far as you can. We did the 5:15a.m. to Wonder Lake and it was fantastic. Our bus driver was Beth and she was every bit as wonderful as any higher priced tour bus driver. We had 11 great hours with her......and would do again!

Archived