Aqua boats and snorkel adventure

snorkel rick

Rick, I'm going to assume you are a guy (not a girl) who likes to be at the wheel (not the backseat) of a quick (not a leisurely) little boat. If so, you'll enjoy this excursion. The snorkeling will be incredible in Grand Cayman, so you can't go wrong there. Don't forget your sunglasses, or the salt spray will kill you.

They will lock your things in the back of a minivan or a car. If you have questions for the tour operator, it's Nautilus Grand Cayman. www.nautilusky.com

"I'm gonna book myself on that Princess Cruise."

-- Fox Mulder, X-Files 'Three Words'

• 2 weeks later...

Was considering taking this trip as well through Celebrity, but hesistant without hearing from others?

Anyone take this adventure?

Basically, they give you the boat instructions and then a guide takes you along the south coast of the island to Sandy Cay (an uninhabited desert island just off the Cayman coast) Then you go to Smith’s Cove, (a little bay with a beach.) Following, they stop at the ‘Cali’ for a chance to see this ancient shipwreck before returning to the dock.

Any info would be appreciated

[This message was edited by LearningTheRopes on 04-26-04 at 08:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by LearningTheRopes on 04-26-04 at 08:52 PM.]

Found this on another thread:

Cool Cruiser

posted 04-22-04 01:29 PM

My wife and I did this excursion last month in Grand Cayman. A "blast!" The seas were a little rough, and at 30 mph across the waves, we were "airborne" several times. A real "E" ticket ride. I drove out to the first dive site, and my wife drove to the second! Warning: you will get very wet; you will have a sore bottom from the pounding; you need sun glasses to see through the spray; you will have the best time. The two snorkel sites were the best we have experienced in 9 cruises to the Caribbean. Bring your water camera only! The boats are stable and safe. One of our all time top shore excursions. Enjoy! Kel

Lori

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all who replied. Wanted to give you a late review. This excursion was fun. One thing that I hadn't considered is that when the waves are nearly as high as the boat is long, it is rough. We too were out of the water much of the time. Nearly flipped once too. But it was fun.

The seas were too rough to snorkel at the "deserted island", so the guides took us to another nice cove for snorkeling. Note: you do have to get yourself in and out of the boats to/from the water, so, it helps to be in fair shape.

When we arrived at the wreck of the Cali, the lead guide secured his boat and we tied off to his boat or each other. When I got in to the water, I started to swim away and my hand brushed the mooring line for the lead boat. Well, that was enough to knock my wedding ring off! I watched it sink to the bottom, 6 feet from a piece of brain coral. Dropped about 20 feet or so. Not being a great snorkeler, I wasn't confident that I could retrieve it. I've been wearing this ring for 27 years and was not going to leave it. Fortunately, one of the guides was able to make a few dives and retrieve the ring for me. As you can imagine, I was very grateful.

"Where I belong"

Grand Princess, 4/2004

Golden Princess, 4/2002

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Thanks for the update, glad you got the ring back icon_smile.gif We went ahead and booked our excursion for September, so looking forward to it.

I'm curious if the waves are always that high or was it a windy day in your opinion? Also, How many boats total were there in the excursion?

Thanks again

LTR- I think we just had a particularly choppy sea day. I understand that the reef that we missed seeing at the "deserted island" is really wonderful. There were 8 boats when we went.

Have a great time. I'm envious. icon_rolleyes.gif

"Where I belong"

Grand Princess, 4/2004

Golden Princess, 4/2002

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;18;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived