Blue iguana question

Mousy

We are going to Grand Cayman in February. ALL my daughter talks about is seeing a blue iguana. Do I need to take a tour to see them or are they anywhere on the island. I know she will be disappointed if she does not see them. Any hints on where to go to make sure we see them?

Thanks!

Mousy

They are found in the "wild" predominately on the less developed eastern side of the island. I have seen a total of one in the wild during my time on the island.

The Queen Elizabeth II Botanical Gardens is one of the best places to see them in the open if you are lucky. The Blue Iguana Recovery Programme is also stationed there, where you can pay additional to tour their facilities and be guaranteed to see a Blue Dragon.

http://www.botanic-park.ky/

http://www.blueiguana.ky/

Blue Iguana statues can be found at many popular tourist destinations across the island by following the Blue Dragon Trail.

http://www.blueiguana.org/bluedragon/

The blue iguanas tend to hang out in the woodland trail area of the botanic park. Every time I have gone I have seen several.

It is easiest to rent a car to get there as it is in a lesser traveled area of the island and bus service is limited.

Once you are at the Botanic Park, there are guided tours behind the scenes of the Blue Iguana Recovery Project at 11am daily (except Sundays). The 1.5 hours tour includes a walk around the woodland trail where you will see several blues.

Hi,

We just did this in Feb. We rented a car from Cayman Auto rentals. It was a couple of blocks walk from pier. Once you get out of town, very easy drive. I would highly recommend doing the 11am iguana tour which you can easily sign up for when arrive at gardens. On the way back, we snorkeled on our own (brought own stuff) at Smith's Cove. You could also just hang out there, very pretty/relaxing. Dropped car off and about an hour to shop prior to re-boarding.

Very relaxing day away from crowds, and driving on the left is really not that bad as long as remain alert. The car rental place drove us back to pier so didn't have to lug our snorkel stuff.

I can post some pics from iguana tour if interested. It was an amazing story as blue iguanas were considered well on way to extinction prior to this program.

Karen

Some pics from tour/smith cove. Thought might as well load as had handy...

7b22ab8f9227759556215345ce6783ad_zps0c370932.jpg

2052fb0fa945ca910a1249ebcc280678_zps037eaf58.jpg

38470907acfb978c5262777de3a3a17b_zps40c9436a.jpg

833b49a1217d44fd1de5eddc6b05aa6f_zps6a2e3973.jpg

a161b10b593ff6ad3e0152a2ee6c4233_zpsc342d7fc.jpg

There are also blue iguanas on the trails at garden park such as this one, but the iguana tour itself was very informative and saw lots of them at various ages.... My son 12 really enjoyed it, actually we all did!

0cf03c91d830b776b50c4d5b564fa167_zpse000d3be.jpg

btw

I'm not that much of an animal guy - even tho I work at a zoo - but during a recent stay on island, where I was staying had a pen wth iquanas in it. Didn't really know about the 'blue' until this thread so I e-mailed the hotel and asked "are yours blue?"

No, none of the iguanas back there in the pen are Blue Iguanas. They are all the "invasive" species from Honduras, that is actually taking over the island.

There are quite a few (too many, actually) iguanas on the property running wild in the trees and eating plants and flowers… We catch them, keep a few for guests to view and eat the scraps from the restaurant, then transplant the rest to the wild.

But it is getting to be an uphill battle with these "green" iguanas on island.

Point being you may see iquanas on the island but they probably won't be the rare blue ones unless you go to a special pace....

btw

I'm not that much of an animal guy - even tho I work at a zoo - but during a recent stay on island, where I was staying had a pen wth iquanas in it. Didn't really know about the 'blue' until this thread so I e-mailed the hotel and asked "are yours blue?"

No, none of the iguanas back there in the pen are Blue Iguanas. They are all the "evasive"species from Honduras, that is actually taking over the island.

There are quite a few (too many, actually) iguanas on the property running wild in the trees and eating plants and flowers… We catch them, keep a few for guests to view and eat the scraps from the restaurant, then transplant the rest to the wild.

But it is getting to be an uphill battle with these "green" iguanas on island.

Point being you may see iquanas on the island but they probably won't be the rare blue ones unless you go to a special pace....

Which hotel was that?

Thanks!

Sunset House .....

the pen is behind the restaurant (between the rest' and the parking lot) ... and was next to our room . . . They had several - and they are WELL fed and BIG.

Wiki info about the blue iquana seems to be pretty spot on, and mentions the invasive greens taking over . . .

My husband took my son (a lizard lover) on the Blue Iguana tour at the Botanical Garden a few years ago. It is only offered at one time daily. They both had a great time!!!

He took a taxi there and back and barely got back in time due to the traffic being so bad at some point.

Instead of going all the way to the tour, is there anywhere along 7 mile beach that we will have any luck seeing them? Even if it is in a pen or on the beach.. I don't think my daughter cares if they are 'blue' just that they are an iguana. Do you think we will have any luck with seeing them that way?

We were originally thinking of going to I think it is called Royal palms, where you can go to the beach for $2 p/p and then buy a lunch there.. if there were iguanas at that location she would be a very happy girl!

Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

Instead of going all the way to the tour, is there anywhere along 7 mile beach that we will have any luck seeing them? Even if it is in a pen or on the beach.. I don't think my daughter cares if they are 'blue' just that they are an iguana. Do you think we will have any luck with seeing them that way?

There are certainly green iguanas roaming wild all over the western end of the island, including around the buildings or even in the pools of the various condos along Seven Mile Beach.

You won't see a blue iguana on that end of the island though. The invasive green iguana has out-competed the blues there.

Archived