NCL Spirit Med Cruise Q&A

From your close neighbour enjoy your trip. It was very tiring but well worth it.

I am sure you posted in a previous thread but when do you leave. I will be posting some pictures in the next couple of days of our journeys

Enjoy and safe and happy travels

Well hi there neighbor, looking forward to those pics. We're actually leaving on July 13 for 5 nights in London then 3 nights in Barcelona, the 12 Day Med. on the Spirit and just in case we're not tired or worn out, the same day we dock in Venice with Spirit, we hop on the Jade for the 7 day Greek Isles and then fly home from Venice. Going to need a break after this one lol.

As this is our first time in Europe, any tips or tricks would be helpful, thanks for the best wishes.

cheers...the Ump...:D

From kapitman: "Chef's Table - AMAZING...9 courses 5 wines (all you can drink) almost 4 hour experience and the service and food were OUT OF THIS WORLD! $89 for the experience which includes service charge and an after dinner drink at Champagne Charlie's. I would do this dinner again in a second! (If you have to, skip the other three, do this one and then just eat in the MDR) You can not book this ahead of time. This was our first task as soon as we boarded the ship, but I do know they had availability up to day 2 of the cruise as they had 2 Chef's Table on our 12 day itinerary."

We're definitely going to book the Chef's Table as soon as we board, do you or anyone else recall what 2 nights they were held. Rome will probably be our busiest port day and I just can't see us properly enjoying what the chef's table has to offer when exhausted.

Hopefully they will be held on a "sea day" evening.

It was the first sea day and Mykonos. (so early leaving port day)

Glad you had a great trip. I can't wait to hear more. I will be sailing on the Spirit leaving Venice on July 8. Haven't cruised or been to Europe since high school. I am really looking forward to it. I would like to go to Cinque Terre when we are docked in Livorno. Did you hear anyone on your cruise mention that?

We did this trip last summer through the ship. A mixture of walking, ferries and trains were used. It was one of the best excursions we have ever done. We had a great day. An excursion that we felt was worth every penny.

We did this trip last summer through the ship. A mixture of walking, ferries and trains were used. It was one of the best excursions we have ever done. We had a great day. An excursion that we felt was worth every penny.

Awesome! This is the only excursion we're doing with the ship -- it's a bit pricey, so I'm glad to hear it's worth it! :D Thanks for your info too elaine5!

Edited by CruisingGiants

Awesome! This is the only excursion we're doing with the ship -- it's a bit pricey, so I'm glad to hear it's worth it! :D

We also just returned from the Spirit sailing and did the Cinque Terre through the cruise line - yes it was pricey but really enjoyed it - unfortunately the Walk of Love is closed due to a mud slide so you will be ferried to the next village

If you are able to get 4 couples together that are interesed in this tour you can get a better rate from "Joe Banana Tours"

as you are travelling in the bus you will be able to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa -

Plenty of good information so far, thanks!

For those who embarked at Barcelona, was the Spain VAT added to onboard purchases? If so, what was the rate? Specifically, was the Spain VAT added to NCL shore excursions booked onboard? At what point in the cruise do they stop collecting the VAT? Thanks.

Woody

Edited by woody73
typo

Thanks Elaine5 and Jean and Tony. I am glad to hear from those of you that have been to Cinque Terre. I would like to hear from anyone that will be sailing on the Norwegian Spirit on July 20 that might be interested in a small group tour to Cinque Terre. It sounds like we would not be disappointed. I have no idea how many people are on the excursions through NCL. Do they have a limit has to how many people they can take?

Edited by readyforadventure1
Left something out

Well hi there neighbor, looking forward to those pics. We're actually leaving on July 13 for 5 nights in London then 3 nights in Barcelona, the 12 Day Med. on the Spirit and just in case we're not tired or worn out, the same day we dock in Venice with Spirit, we hop on the Jade for the 7 day Greek Isles and then fly home from Venice. Going to need a break after this one lol.

As this is our first time in Europe, any tips or tricks would be helpful, thanks for the best wishes.

I have now finished the pictures - you can view them at bobandjoannstravel.shutterfly.com

For those who embarked at Barcelona, was the Spain VAT added to onboard purchases? If so, what was the rate? Specifically, was the Spain VAT added to NCL shore excursions booked onboard? At what point in the cruise do they stop collecting the VAT? Thanks.

Woody

Honestly, it feels like the VAT was on everything. It was small, but off the top of my head I don't have a percentage - sorry. I can't remember if there was VAT added to the one excursion we did on NCL. If I can dig out my invoice I will report back. Sorry - even over a week after being home I'm still totally unorganized!

Thanks Elaine5 and Jean and Tony. I am glad to hear from those of you that have been to Cinque Terre. I would like to hear from anyone that will be sailing on the Norwegian Spirit on July 20 that might be interested in a small group tour to Cinque Terre. It sounds like we would not be disappointed. I have no idea how many people are on the excursions through NCL. Do they have a limit has to how many people they can take?

I recommend checking to see if there's anyone on your Roll Call through that section of Cruise Critic. As for NCL, they group people by buses. We did the Florence On Your Own through NCL and there were several bus groups, but we were only responsible for our one bus, which had maybe 30 people. Hopefully that makes sense.

I am concerned about the cruise line keeping your passports as well. What is the purpose of this and what do you do when returning to the ship from a port as far as ID? Do you just show your ship card when you return to the ship? How does,that work.

I am concerned about the cruise line keeping your passports as well. What is the purpose of this and what do you do when returning to the ship from a port as far as ID? Do you just show your ship card when you return to the ship? How does,that work.

The purpose of this, as I understand it, is to clear customs in each port faster. It's easier for the cruise line to say, "Hey, everyone here has passports or visas and we have them all if you have a problem," than for each individual person to have to clear customs.

For coming and going from the ship, you just need to slide your NCL ship card when you leave and when you return. Super easy.

I was told that the main reason they took and kept the passports was because we were going to Turkey. It has to do with the Shengen Agreement. I'm sure it also helped in clearing each port also. MSC did the same thing last year on our cruise because we had a stop in Morrocco, but they gave them back after our 1st port back in a member state. NCL also gave them back after our first port back into a member state (Athens).

We just carried a copy of our passport page, but didn't have any need arise for it.

Edited by Realitoes

Woody

This is my memory from the last 2 years so it may have changed...

When we sailed Barcelona to Barcelona on the Epic the ship never left the EU and Spanish VAT at 8% was charged for the entire cruise.

When we sailed on the Spirit Barcelona to Venice last May we were charged Spanish VAT until the ship moved into International waters. It was not charged again after that.

The reason for this is that the intinerary of the Spirit includes a port, or 2 actually, that are outside of the EU whereas the Epic never left the EU for a non EU port.

Regarding passports. They didn't take ours last year so this sounds like something new. It is again caused by the two ports outside of the EU in Turkey. Last summer the ship was informed that every single person on board including crew would be subject to a passport check at Piraeus (Athens) and everyone would need to personally present their passport for inspection on arrival at the port as we were coming from turkey. After a few days negotiation by NCL with the authorities in which they would not back down it was decided, and we were informed, that the ship was cancelling the Athens stop and that we were going to Iraklion in Crete instead. Iraklion was great. We really liked it there.

I will happily give up my passport for the ship to look after because A I trust them to look after it B It could avoid a port being cancelled C I don't want to get up in the middle of the night to meet some immigration official D I don't want to be delayed leaving the ship at any port.

I have no idea how many people are on the excursions through NCL. Do they have a limit has to how many people they can take?

Most people opt for the majot cities as they have not been to Pisa, Florence, Rome etc before. Trips offered to these smaller places are often undersubscribed. There were about 20-25 of us on this excursion and there was lots of time to just walk on your own not in the group. At each village the guide gave a couple of minutes talk and then told us exactly when to be back at the meeting point. The times were critical as the ferries and trains were public and ran to a schedule so would not wait for dawdlers. We didn't lose anyone but came close at one point when 2 ladies went shopping and we had started walking to the station from the meeting point as we couldn't wait any longer. They saw us in the distance and ran to catch up. The train arrived about 3 minutes after we got onto the platform...

Thanks for the information. How does having a stop in turkey affect the cruise line keeping the passports. I read the Schen(sp) agreement and it talks about allowing people to cross borders without having through check points. I am guess I am not educated enough on this agreement to really understand this.

I have to agree with mypleasure on the A,B and C's concerning passports.

When we arrived at Port Canaveral after our Eastern Caribbean on the Sun, all non US residents had to meet in the Showroom by 6:30 am to go thru customs. If anyone didn't show or was late ( they have a list) then Everyone had to wait until everyone was accounted for, needless to say we had to wait! :mad:.

45 mins. later 2 couples showed up, they decided to have breakfast first and said they didn't hear their names being paged every 3 min. to please join the rest of us.

Good thing it was the end of the cruise, I don't think they would have been very popular if it happened @ the beginning.

So if handing over our passport speeds things up at these ports then I'm all for it. We always make a copy and laminate our passports, we leave the originals in the safe and carry the copies ashore with us.

I have now finished the pictures - you can view them at bobandjoannstravel.shutterfly.com

Thanks for the link to your pics, amazing !! Can't wait to take our own, is it time yet !!!!! lol

Thanks for the photos luv2travel - I really enjoyed them!

The latest dilemma I am pondering is how early to board in Barcelona (we embark on September 8th.) On one hand, we want to spend every minute we can exploring Barcelona because we only have 2 days there and will have 12 days on the Spirit. On the other hand, we really want to do the Chef's Table, so we should board early enough to sign up for it...any thoughts from you veterans????

Thanks for the photos luv2travel - I really enjoyed them!

The latest dilemma I am pondering is how early to board in Barcelona (we embark on September 8th.) On one hand, we want to spend every minute we can exploring Barcelona because we only have 2 days there and will have 12 days on the Spirit. On the other hand, we really want to do the Chef's Table, so we should board early enough to sign up for it...any thoughts from you veterans????

We had two on our sailing. I signed up around 7pm on embark day. Then I changed our night two days later, so there was still room. Obviously I can't guarantee you anything, but this was my experience.

Chef's Table is wonderful, but it's "just" food ... if you have never been to Barcelona before and may never go back, I personally would spend the extra time in the city.