Best Place to Buy Cigars

Traveling via the Carnival/Miracle in October. Ports of Call: Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel.

Would appreciate any guidance in the best places to buy cigars, both from a price and honesty perspective. I know switching (ie: you order Cohiba Cuban's and end up with some rebanded inferior cigar) is a big problem.

Thanks!

I've never been to Costa Maya, so I cant help you there. Mexico is always a good place to find...well...pretty much anything. Cozumel is where I would pick to find cigars. Grand Cayman is a rather expensive port, so I would guess you could make some contacts at your local cigar shop (my buddy owns one and has hooked me up in the past) and come out with a better deal there. I went snorkeling when I visited Belize. I didn't get a chance to shop so I am not much help. You can always ask the cruise shopping director (not sure what their actual title is) where is a good place to go in Cozumel. Yea, they will send you to some place that they are getting a kick back from. Despite that...it may be a place where you can get actual cuban cigars. Hope that helps.

Thanks for you insights. My experience with getting "deals" in Mexico is mixed at best. For example I've yet to find a tequilla in Mexico that I couldn't buy for less in the states. I really think it's a matter of getting away from the tourist areas and that comes with some risk. Thanks again.

There are some imports (as far as booze) that I have found a great deal on in Mexico (or pretty much anywhere outside the states. My last cruise had Captain Morgan on the ship for about 9-10 bucks a liter. That is an 18-19 dollar bottle in my college town. I'll be stocking my bar next time I go. I'd be surprised if Grand Cayman (I think an appetizer at a restaurant with two sodas/beers ran about 18 bucks) had any worthwhile deals. I do remember some people trying to sell me "Cubans" in Belize, but I am not sure about authenticity. The locals suggested I take the "collar" off the cigar so that I could pass it by customs. I figure if the tag comes off that easy...it probably wasn't originally on that cigar in the first place. Anyway, if you shop before you go (or already know regular prices) you should be able to spot a deal. I have been to Cancun a few times and bought some cigars that were being hand-rolled right in the lobby. I'm no afficionado, but they were pretty damn good to me. I'll ask my old college roommate (He is the one whose parents bought the cigar shop) for suggestions/tips next time I see him. I'll post back if he has anything noteworthy (He can be a bit of a dumbass though, so no promises). Have fun on your trip.

Archived