SIM Card Purchase in Ketchikan

kiwi_girl

I don't remember the Walmart having a coverage map for smart talk. It also looks like they are using T-Mobile which I understand does not have data coverage for Alaska, so the best thing may be to call a Walmart in Alaska as you suggested.

Mike D

ST doesn't have a single coverage map. ST decides which carrier you'll be using based on your zip code and the phone you pick. I have no doubt you're right. ST customers in your zip code are using T-Mobile. Other areas ST uses Verizon. ST SIM customers currently use T-Mobile, originally AT&T was used.

Walmart isn't going to be selling SIM cards and phone plans in AK unless they are able to offer a carrier which has coverage. I don't know if AK Walmarts got the old SIM cards which work with AT&T or if cards sold in AK are set to allowing roaming on AT&T or if customers are to

Out of curiously, I make the Juneau Wal-Mart my local store on WM's web site. I picked Juneau because if is the biggest city in SE Alaska. I then search for the ST activation SIM card kit. It is not carried in the store. The SIM card kit (T-Mobile version) can be ordered but takes a week to be delivered to the Juneau store. I put in the zip code for the Juneau store (99801) to check if the SIM will work in Juneau. It said the straight talk activation kit will not work for that zip code.

I then called the Juneau Wal-Mart. According to the person I talked to, they do not sell any SIM activations kits in the store. They only sell phones. They have the ATT go, net10, and Smart Talk phones. I asked what carrier the ST phone uses, he did not know. I picked a ST phone on WM's web site and entered the Juneau zip code to verify it will work. It said it will.

I don't know for a fact but I believe ST phones in Alaska roam for free on ATT while in SE Alaska or are the ATT versions.

I hope things work out for the OP.

Anyway, I should be all set for both voice and data(internet)

Our T-Mobile prepaid voice only phones will roam for free on att while in SE Alaska. I verify this twice with T-Mobile. They said I may have to select ATT on the phone.

As I said in this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38248733&postcount=3

I should be all set using my unlocked T-Mobile mifi hotspot for internet because an ATT dealer near me said he can set me up with a SIM for prepaid data service. I will do that about 2 weeks before the trip.

Mike D

Archived