Amazing Secret River - How Difficult

zelldriver

We are thinking of doing this in Nov. I have questions about the

difficulty of this excursion. We are mid 60's - still moderately active.

Anyone done this that can tell me how easy (or hard) it will be to do this.

I ask this because Carnival has changed the activity level from moderate to difficult.

Thanks

My husband and I are in our 40s, and we took this tour in December. I actually have bursitis in my hip and have some painfully tight muscles in that area. Took some advil before going, and I had no problems at all. There was another couple in our tour that were probably in their 60s and they didn't have any issues.

They will offer you a walking stick. Take it. Even if you don't think you need it. I found it useful to brace on the ground sometimes when encountering some of the steeper slippy areas.

The wetsuits and hard hats are a little smelly. Be prepared. Pack some nice spray in your bag to use afterwards. They also have showers, so you can bring a little thing of soap and shampoo and a change of clothes and shower and change after your tour if there is time. There was for us, and I wished I had done that. They have lockers for your stuff and you get the only key on a lanyard to wear, so don't worry about your stuff since you can't bring anything but your swimsuit (and the locker key) with you into the caves.

If you have your own all terrain water shoes (with toe protection), wear them. My husband and I I had some Keene H20s that they allowed us to wear instead of the ones they provided. We are very glad they let us do that as our had nice sole protection and arch support. Theirs did not look quite as comfortable.

If you happen to have a rock climbing, camping light that will fit over a hard hat, they will let you use that in the caves. We had a couple on our tour who used theirs and when we go back, we will definitely bring our own since they have more light. As there is no electricity in the caves, the lights on your hard had are it. I was glad we had some extra bright lights in our group to help light the way.

I think we were down there for an hour or so, but it felt like 15 minutes. It was really one of the neatest excursions we have done. We want to go back and maybe do the other cave.

The pictures were the biggest disappointment. We couldn't take our own even though I have underwater housing for my camera. They charge you a small fortune for theirs, and they really aren't that great, but I bought them anyway because I am a scrapbooker. My camera would have done a better job. But, the experience was awesome.

I would say if you can get around without too much trouble and stand and walk for long periods of time on uneven terrain as well as stoop and kneel occasionally, you should be fine. You should also be able to climb over some rocks as that is required in certain places. Our guide was very helpful, and I took things slowly what with my hip issues. My parents who are in their mid to late 60s could do it, and I would consider them pretty average as far as being in shape.

Sorry for the long review, but I had trouble finding stuff on this tour before we went, so I thought I would try telling you everything you might need to do.

Archived