RC jewel of the sea port ?'s

travellovers

I thought I would start here since this will be our first port. We will be on RC Jewel of the Sea in July and wanted advise on which ports would be best for certain tours and if you recommend the ones we are considering.

We want to zip line (so many look great), swim with the stingrays (is this a good tour) and the boys want to do some inshore fishing or bone fishing(can't find any on RC list).

These are the ports....

San Juan, Puerto Rico;

Philipsburg, St. Maarten;

Basseterre, St. Kitts;

St. John's, Antigua;

Castries, St. Lucia;

Bridgetown, Barbados;

San Juan, Puerto Rico

I will also post this on the RC forum and maybe some of the other island forums

Thanks in advance

I thought I would start here since this will be our first port. We will be on RC Jewel of the Sea in July and wanted advise on which ports would be best for certain tours and if you recommend the ones we are considering.

We want to zip line (so many look great), swim with the stingrays (is this a good tour) and the boys want to do some inshore fishing or bone fishing(can't find any on RC list).

These are the ports....

San Juan, Puerto Rico;

Philipsburg, St. Maarten;

Basseterre, St. Kitts;

St. John's, Antigua;

Castries, St. Lucia;

Bridgetown, Barbados;

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks in advance

All of the islands have zip line opportunities, my son and I did the challenge course in St. Maarten and had a great time. In Antigua, check out adventure Antigua's Xtreme Circumnav tour to swim with the rays - we love their tours (adventureantigua.com). They're far better than any ship tour you could do. Barbados has numerous opportunities to swim with sea turtles - go to the Barbados boards to read about them. Our favorite is Calabazza. I haven't seen anything about inshore or bone fishing on any of the islands, but then again, I haven't looked for it.

• 1 month later...

go to tripadvisor.com

thousands of tour reviews

put in each island --- but don't limit yourself to that port city only

unless time constraint 0r looking for a particular tour guide that is close by.... but most these will drive across an entire island to meet you at ship

EG: You could tour boring forts at SanJuan

OR you could hire a guide and do an eassssy trek in the rainforest shortcut and eat lunch with locals

all depends on the interests of the groups

the website I mentioned also has tour operators listed - pros and cons

Have fun

• 3 weeks later...

These are the ports....

San Juan, Puerto Rico; The Rain Forrest

Philipsburg, St. Maarten; The Nude Beach

Basseterre, St. Kitts; Zip Lining

St. John's, Antigua;

Castries, St. Lucia; Sandals Resort Day Pass

Bridgetown, Barbados; Tour with Silver Moon

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks in advance

WE have been to most of these Islands. I don't know if the nude beach interest you , we went our first time and it wasn't what I expected and would never go back. These are just a few things we have done.

WE have been to most of these Islands. I don't know if the nude beach interest you , we went our first time and it wasn't what I expected and would never go back. These are just a few things we have done.

I totally agree with you. The nude side of Orient Beach is not the best beach in St. Maarten, for sure! OP: Unless you just want to see nude people (most of which really shouldn't be nude!), I would check out some other spots.

Ann

I totally agree with you. The nude side of Orient Beach is not the best beach in St. Maarten, for sure! OP: Unless you just want to see nude people (most of which really shouldn't be nude!), I would check out some other spots.

Ann

Orient Beach is only nude on one side (right side). The rest is very family-friendly with things like water trampolines, jet skis, etc. However, the were some topless people strolling along the beach.

My kids really enjoyed it and pretty much ignored the topless ones.

On my last visit, we went to Dawn Beach in St. Maarten. It was very nice, but didn't have the activities that Orient Beach did.

As for Antigua, I really liked Valley Church Beach. We just went to the tour booth and was put in a waiting taxi/van. The cost was $8 each way.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Stingray City tour through Princess on Antigua and loved it! I would do it again in a heartbeat. Also really enjoyed swimming with turtles in Barbados. On St. Lucia we took a catamaran tour down the coastline to the Pitons - it was beautiful but if we ever go again I will take a land tour or combo tour that goes to Jalousie Beach. On St. Kitts we just took a taxi to Cockleshell Beach since we had spent a lot of money on tours on other islands, but it was a beautiful beach and a beautiful drive to get there.

Archived